• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios phase 4
3 3

349 posts in this topic

I think phase 4 is 2 years rather than 3 without Avengers because phase 3 was 4 years & gave us 2 Avengers films back to back. The MCU formula will remain the same & we see the next Avengers in phase 5 April/May 2024. Instead of giving us 3 films per year like they did in phase 3, we’re getting 2 & 2 Disney+ streaming shows (each series will be the equivalent of at least 2 movies, with 6 episodes at 40-50 min run time.), which I’m fine with. Just hope they turn out to be MCU quality.

Not sure how turning DS2 into the MCU’s 1st horror movie will turn out but I’m curious to see how they pull this one off. With a few exceptions, horror flicks generally don’t do as well at the box office & very few bring in MCU money. They will probably manage to blow everyone away again though.  

I don’t know if it will be permanent or something temporary within Thor Love & Thunder, but I believe Jane Foster picking up Mjolnir will be a secondary plot point late in the film. Since they’re planning on introducing Beta Ray Bill & Chris Hemsworth is still playing Thor as well, we will likely see multiple versions of the character within the MCU at the same time.

Can’t wait to see what they have planned for phase 5. They will likely announce Spider-Man 3 in 2021 at D23 next month since Far from Home will pass 1 billion shortly. I think allowing Sony to use the term mutants within their Spider-verse franchise could hopefully be another selling point to keep the Sony/Marvel deal going & keep Spider-Man within the MCU. 

Edited by chezmtghut

5 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I think phase 4 is 2 years rather than 3 without Avengers because phase 3 was 4 years & gave us 2 Avengers films back to back. The MCU formula will remain the same & we see the next Avengers in phase 5 April/May 2024. Instead of giving us 3 films per year like they did in phase 3, we’re getting 2 & 2 Disney+ streaming shows (each series will be the equivalent of at least 2 movies, with 6 episodes at 40-50 min run time.), which I’m fine with. Just hope they turn out to be MCU quality.

Not sure how turning DS2 into the MCU’s 1st horror movie will turn out but I’m curious to see how they pull this one off. With a few exceptions, horror flicks generally don’t do as well at the box office & very few bring in MCU money. They will probably manage to blow everyone away again though.  

I don’t know if it will be permanent or something temporary within Thor Love & Thunder, but I believe Jane Foster picking up Mjolnir will be a secondary plot point late in the film. Since they’re planning on introducing Beta Ray Bill & Chris Hemsworth is still playing Thor as well, we will likely see multiple versions of the character within the MCU at the same time.

Can’t wait to see what they have planned for phase 5. They will likely announce Spider-Man 3 in 2021 at D23 next month since Far from Home will pass 1 billion shortly. I think allowing Sony to use the term mutants within their Spider-verse franchise could hopefully be another selling point to keep the Sony/Marvel deal going & keep Spider-Man within the MCU. 

I don't think that this is the plan - though it should be. BRB just makes more sense than 'Lady Thor'. Thor is a person and not a mantle. I also don't wanna see Mjolnir back in the MCU since they accomplished everything I wanted (and more) in Endgame, by having Thor dual-wield his weapons, and Cap pick the hammer up.

Initially, I didn't even realize that these 10 announcements are the entirety of Phase 4. Those TV shows better pay off for 'em, because that is a total buzzkill of a full lineup.

With MCU lookin' to be in the pits from my perspective, and Worlds of DC doing really nothing soon, I might just take a break for a few years from comics book movies. Maybe catch up when Fantastic Four, X-Men, and the next Spider-Man come out.

17 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I think phase 4 is 2 years rather than 3 without Avengers because phase 3 was 4 years & gave us 2 Avengers films back to back.

This makes a lot of sense, as there was no news about Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and a very rapid mention of Fantastic Four and X-Men which they are starting to develop. So with all these properties now Kevin Feige and team are probably like a kid in the candy store, running from option to option.

And, let's not forget about Deadpool 3, X-Force or even Doctor Doom as  solo project. These phases could tighten up more than ever. :whee:

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

There’s a rumor that Nightmare will be the villain, so a horror genre film would make sense.  Maybe this would also be a chance to pay homage to the horror and monster comics of the Atlas years. Maybe Dr Strange will have to vanquish Goomba, the Thing From Another Dimension. 

Playing with different genres is what the MCU does anyways.  Spider-Man movies have been high school  romance. Winter Soldier was spy thriller.  If you’re going to try horror, Dr Strange is the obvious place to do it.

29 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

There’s a rumor that Nightmare will be the villain, so a horror genre film would make sense.  Maybe this would also be a chance to pay homage to the horror and monster comics of the Atlas years. Maybe Dr Strange will have to vanquish Goomba, the Thing From Another Dimension. 

Playing with different genres is what the MCU does anyways.  Spider-Man movies have been high school  romance. Winter Soldier was spy thriller.  If you’re going to try horror, Dr Strange is the obvious place to do it.

That does sound interesting. I believe his 1st appearance is ST 110 & is DS’s 1st villain. I could imagine it having a nightmare on elm street homage/vibe. DS is definitely the place to start for a trippy MCU horror flick. 

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This makes a lot of sense, as there was no news about Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and a very rapid mention of Fantastic Four and X-Men which they are starting to develop. So with all these properties now Kevin Feige and team are probably like a kid in the candy store, running from option to option.

And, let's not forget about Deadpool 3, X-Force or even Doctor Doom as  solo project. These phases could tighten up more than ever. :whee:

That’s why I think he said “should we announce phase 5” & dropped those little bombs about future projects that we can expect after phase 4, without offering anything too concrete. Considering they have so much more to work with, the fact that it’s taking 5 years for DS2 & then 4 years between these last Thor films (Thor 2 2013, 3 2017, 4 2021), we may see some trilogies spaces out over longer periods. 

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't think that this is the plan - though it should be. BRB just makes more sense than 'Lady Thor'. Thor is a person and not a mantle. I also don't wanna see Mjolnir back in the MCU since they accomplished everything I wanted (and more) in Endgame, by having Thor dual-wield his weapons, and Cap pick the hammer up.

Initially, I didn't even realize that these 10 announcements are the entirety of Phase 4. Those TV shows better pay off for 'em, because that is a total buzzkill of a full lineup.

With MCU lookin' to be in the pits from my perspective, and Worlds of DC doing really nothing soon, I might just take a break for a few years from comics book movies. Maybe catch up when Fantastic Four, X-Men, and the next Spider-Man come out.

I don’t want to see all of the original characters replaced either but after seeing Ragnarok I can imagine Waititi turning Thor 4 into an MCU What If? comedy/romance type movie. He was still worthy of Mjolnir after giving up on everything in Endgame, so I’m curious to know if he’s no longer worthy or if it’s just that Jane Foster is worthy. 

I personally think the Disney+ streaming series are a great idea since it will help expand the stories of many characters that get little character development in the films. I can see them continuing this with 2 new series per year for some time considering all of the characters at their disposal. If they turn out to be Netflix/Daredevil quality, everyone will love them. 

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I agree, plus still got heroes like Daredevil and Moonknight out there.

Who knows after this two year break Chris Evans might be rested enough to comeback?

13 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree, plus still got heroes like Daredevil and Moonknight out there.

Who knows after this two year break Chris Evans might be rested enough to comeback?

It's incredible what they have to play with now across all these films. A dream come true.

But unfortunately, less superhero movies as it went from two studios competing parallel to one another to now one source.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

That is a lie (tsk)

15 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

...I don’t want to see all of the original characters replaced either but after seeing Ragnarok I can imagine Waititi turning Thor 4 into an MCU What If? comedy/romance type movie. He was still worthy of Mjolnir after giving up on everything in Endgame, so I’m curious to know if he’s no longer worthy or if it’s just that Jane Foster is worthy. 

I personally think the Disney+ streaming series are a great idea since it will help expand the stories of many characters that get little character development in the films. I can see them continuing this with 2 new series per year for some time considering all of the characters at their disposal. If they turn out to be Netflix/Daredevil quality, everyone will love them. 

I'm fine with Thor being replaced, i.e. Beta Ray Bill picking up Stormbreaker (or something else that makes sense while not undoing prior storytelling), but I'm not on-board with calling another character "Thor" or bringing Mjolnir back.

I just don't wanna pay for a streaming service or have to do time-specific homework before watching a movie. I imagine it will be a less-enjoyable experience if you don't watch all of the episodes of the tie-in shows. It took me many, many, years before I gave most of the Marvel TV shows a chance. I'm just too busy and there are more fun/important things to do at home.

Phase 4 altogether is looking like an easy pass for me and family/friends. However, as I've said, Doctor Strange might be a must-see for the interested genre of "gothic horror". Nothing else really has any draw.

Can't wait for the Shang-Chi movie.  That is by far the most interesting movie to me.  I have a graded TOS #50 in 9.0 and I think this book gets a new bump in value.
I wish Captain Marvel 2 would come out sooner.  Captain Marvel was a really great movie! Brie nailed it playing Captain Marvel.  Really looking forward to the next one.