• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

The art is awful, the same way all Kinkade is, the same way most comic art is too...overly planned "to sell" (to the publisher, from the publisher to the public) so...the same way Alex Ross is awful. Once you get past the surface appeal of Ross (wow - he makes comics look REAL!!!)...well, that's it then isn't it?

Great point and agreed about Alex Ross. A lot of his art leaves me cold and yet it's great work. Tough to reconcile that.

Early Kinkade does make me feel all warm and cozy inside though!

34 minutes ago, vodou said:

The art is awful, the same way all Kinkade is, the same way most comic art is too...overly planned "to sell" (to the publisher, from the publisher to the public) so...the same way Alex Ross is awful. Once you get past the surface appeal of Ross (wow - he makes comics look REAL!!!)...well, that's it then isn't it?

Kent Williams...real artist. To provide a counterpoint. There are plenty of others too, but not (especially) either Buscema, Alex Ross, Neal Adams (see: Alex Ross above, can't paint either), along with T.Kinkade.

From that POV I agree.      I was looking at it simply from the POV of 'is it a competent illustration' because ultimately I think that's the benchmark.

28 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

They couldn't even get the eras right. 80s WW and Superman. DKR Batman. 60s Justice League logo. 40s Lois, Jimmy, and NY. Ugh. Non-comics people are the worst.:tonofbricks:

Not to mention that based on the era the illustration is clearly set in, it should be the Justice Society not the Justice League!  :insane:

Who will know the difference? They thought!

WE WILL :insane:

Edited by Bronty

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Who will know the difference? They thought!

I really don't want to look further into the piece myself, so I'll just ask: is this DC authorized? How easily are they licensing this stuff out then?!! Not a good look for their top brands imo.

As a fan of snowy scenes, there is some Kinkade stuff out there that I find attractive. That DC piece is...not great. "The painter of light" title just makes me think of him as the old JJ Abrams ("needs more lens flare") of painting though.

Edited by MOStateSuperman

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO POST THAT PICTURE?!?! 

My eyes are still bleeding... from the 9" spikes I just jammed into them after seeing that image.

Oh- it gets much worse:

https://thomaskinkade.com/product-category/limited-edition-art/dc-super-hero-fine-art/

Anyone got $4200 to away on “Limited Edition Art” ? There’s a whole series to choose from. As I said earlier, Kinkade has been dead 7 years but his studio continues to crank this junk out. You can get Mickey and Minnie too. Kinkade never painted people so once he croaked (OD on Booze, Valium) the studio started to branch out into new and more gaudy revenue streams. IMO Kinkade’s Art is about as interesting as a cup of warm cow cud.

BD28984F-94ED-49FF-9990-BFEDB65AC179.jpeg

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

1 hour ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Oh- it gets much worse:

https://thomaskinkade.com/product-category/limited-edition-art/dc-super-hero-fine-art/

Anyone got $4200 to away on “Limited Edition Art” ? There’s a whole series to choose from. As I said earlier, Kinkade has been dead 7 years but his studio continues to crank this junk out. You can get Mickey and Minnie too. Kinkade never painted people so once he croaked (OD on Booze, Valium) the studio started to branch out into new and more gaudy revenue streams. IMO Kinkade’s Art is about as interesting as a cup of warm cow cud.

BD28984F-94ED-49FF-9990-BFEDB65AC179.jpeg

Well you can't fault him for posthumous works :insane:

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Was is just this year that Peanuts dailies jumped from $10K-ish to $15-20K-ish?

No, Dailies have been commanding a high price of over $15k (average is closer to $20k) for well over 10 years.  You see some sales below that amount, but definitely not the norm.  The exact price depends on the number of characters and the content of the strip.  A Charlie Brown, Schroder, and Snoopy strip from 1957 sold for just under $60k a week ago.  I would say stuff from the 1950s sells for $30k as a floor and 1960s for $20k as a floor.  There are exceptions but in general.

A side note, I have observed for whatever reason, Peanut pieces on HA always see the real "action" during live bidding.

23 hours ago, Bronty said:

People like to bag on Kinkade (and for good reason, don't get me wrong given way that art was promoted) but on a technical level there's really nothing "wrong" with his art.   There's a reason it appealed to a lot of people. 

Who's talking about his (or his studio's) technical skill and what's that got to do with anything?  I can find a thousand back alley studio painters in China who have superb technical skill.  Boris is very technically skilled, which I've never once denied.

Still doesn't stop me from preferring spikes in my eyes to seeing their horrific paintings.

6 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Who's talking about his (or his studio's) technical skill and what's that got to do with anything?  I can find a thousand back alley studio painters in China who have superb technical skill.  Boris is very technically skilled, which I've never once denied.

Still doesn't stop me from preferring spikes in my eyes to seeing their horrific paintings.

hahaha, okay, okay ;)

That reminds me, I just bought the cover to Super Valis IV which is right up your alley :insane:

This pic is just for you Tim:baiting:lol

(thanks Steve!)

sv4.jpg

Edited by Bronty

33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

hahaha, okay, okay ;)

That reminds me, I just bought the cover to Super Valis IV which is right up your alley :insane:

This pic is just for you Tim:baiting:lol

(thanks Steve!)

sv4.jpg

Why is that Cylon riding a tiger...and why is the tiger breathing fire? 

31 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Why is that Cylon riding a tiger...and why is the tiger breathing fire? 

because its awesome lol

I have no frickin idea tbh.   I've never played the game.

s-l640.jpg

Just now, Bronty said:

because its awesome lol

I have no frickin idea tbh.   I've never played the game.

s-l640.jpg

I must play THIS GAME!!!

I guess that's what artwork does to the soul. lol 

Wait, so those are fireballs coming out of it's mouth? THey look like a pair of flaming balls going left to right in the frame and that he is jumping into. Or he just breathes fire to his right, only. :)

I'm gonna go find some video footage of this in action. :)

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

What.......is.......happening?!?

Hahahaha. That's terrific!

This one falls into the category of "it's so bad, it's good". 

That said, the only reason to own it is to flip it to some videogame dweeb. (: