• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

This assumes the same people will be in the market. Stamps died with the older generations. When the market shrinks, it will fall in slices, the way average 1970’s art has gone quiet. As people age out, the newer generation won’t care too much about older pieces and artists (although, true classics may hold up better). Plus, they have a high debt load from college and greater interest in activities over collecting. So, I don’t foresee a 50% drop in prices, so much as a hollowing out with a lot of unsold pieces priced based on older sales, and then a scary drop when heirs or the cash hungry sell.

But, cheap pieces will do okay for their decorative value.

The key phrase, IMV.   The pieces I've thought were undervalued (whether or not I bid on or bought them) didn't always harken to my specific nostalgia.  Many have been pieces which came before my time as a young fan/reader, but I knew the impact they'd had.   And some were published after my time, but I could tell they were well done and highly effective, and had a particular impact which gave (or would eventually give) them a deserved reputation as a classic. Or, at least, I could see how the characters' appearance or reappearance in film or TV was inevitable.  Unfortunately, I rarely acted on the latter group, and when I did I resold or traded them away too quickly.   So, no Thanos, Captain Marvel, Morbius or Blade remain, having departed at the first minor swell, instead of sticking around the crest of the wave. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, tth2 said:

That's what people always say, in all asset classes, when the market's been up.

And guess what happens when prices really fall like that?  Not a buyer in sight.

Why?  Because (i) we can't tell the future, so by the time prices have dropped 60-70%, we're shell shocked and by that point have no idea if prices are going to keep dropping, (ii) potential buyers have suffered such a hit to their overall savings and investments that the last thing they want to do is to put their remaining money into rapidly depreciating assets, (iii) a corollary to (i) & (ii) is that people did buy as prices plunged, but prices kept plunging and soon we get gun shy of putting in more money that seems to evaporate overnight and (iv) as a corollary to (iii), once we see prices dropping, then we decide to wait for another 10% drop, and then when prices actually drop another 10% we don't buy but think that we'll just wait for another 10% drop, and never pull the trigger at all.

If you hang out in the Water Cooler at all, go into the "$500 Gold" thread and go back to 2006 and 2007, when people were talking big about how they would jump in big if the stock markets would plunge, and then fast forward to 2008 and 2009 when the markets really did plunge and feel all the panic and fear in the posts from the same people (who were not buying). 

Maybe...but I’ve been buying art since 1987...it’s the only hobby/interest that’s followed me from my youth to goody quasi adult hood. Since I came into the hobby when there was little money to be made, and stayed to the point the speculators have turned it into a borderline farce...im probably gonna be one of the ones holding on til the end getting excited for 100 dollar Keith pollard Bronze Age FF pages :)

On 7/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, grapeape said:

Freaking love Pete Alonso. Still waiting for his home run to come down in Minnesota. Go Mets!!

I was afraid his production would fall off greatly post HRD, and hit wise it has...But his HR numbers are still on pace for 50+. Plus all the goody stats like Hard contact and ops are still rock solid. I really only see Tatis being a threat for RoY. Soroka seems to get a lot of love too but I keep thinking his run support is insane.

Also when you look at his HR over 110MPH I think he is still 1st. 

12 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

This assumes the same people will be in the market. Stamps died with the older generations. When the market shrinks, it will fall in slices, the way average 1970’s art has gone quiet. As people age out, the newer generation won’t care too much about older pieces and artists (although, true classics may hold up better). Plus, they have a high debt load from college and greater interest in activities over collecting. So, I don’t foresee a 50% drop in prices, so much as a hollowing out with a lot of unsold pieces priced based on older sales, and then a scary drop when heirs or the cash hungry sell.

But, cheap pieces will do okay for their decorative value.

Again though, this ain’t stamps. Stamps never had a dominance over our culture the way comic book heroes have. Besides If we are basing this on the interested collector base dying off, we might be targeting 50-60 years.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Again though, this ain’t stamps. Stamps never had a dominance over our culture the way comic book heroes have. Besides If we are basing this on the interested collector base dying off, we might be targeting 50-60 years.

I don’t think you realize how popular they were. It wasn’t just FDR who collected them. Kids collected them, stamps with upside down Flying Jennies were a big deal, and of course they were central to the conclusion of Charade— and the movie going public “got it”. There won’t be a single die off, I think, but a slow one. So its not like targeting.just one group, but groups slowly phasing out.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Maybe...but I’ve been buying art since 1987...it’s the only hobby/interest that’s followed me from my youth to goody quasi adult hood. Since I came into the hobby when there was little money to be made, and stayed to the point the speculators have turned it into a borderline farce...im probably gonna be one of the ones holding on til the end getting excited for 100 dollar Keith pollard Bronze Age FF pages :)

I hope so!  (thumbsu

If you actually do so, you'll be in a very small minority.  

13 hours ago, zhamlau said:

100 dollar Keith pollard Bronze Age FF pages 

So optimistic lol: nominally, sure, but definitely not inflation adjusted.

Try cutting that number in half or even by 2/3rds...because there would be that mountain of Kirby-anything to plumb through first in the three figure category.

9 hours ago, vodou said:

Try cutting that number in half or even by 2/3rds...because there would be that mountain of Kirby-anything to plumb through first in the three figure category.

Helmsman set a course for 1984, maximum warp...engage!

On 7/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, zhamlau said:

I was afraid his production would fall off greatly post HRD, and hit wise it has...But his HR numbers are still on pace for 50+. Plus all the goody stats like Hard contact and ops are still rock solid. I really only see Tatis being a threat for RoY. Soroka seems to get a lot of love too but I keep thinking his run support is insane.

Also when you look at his HR over 110MPH I think he is still 1st. 

Tatis is a phenomenal young player...Pete is likely to see more walks, pitching around him. 50 is possible. He would have to fall apart completely not to be RoY.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:46 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t think you realize how popular they were. It wasn’t just FDR who collected them. Kids collected them, stamps with upside down Flying Jennies were a big deal, and of course they were central to the conclusion of Charade— and the movie going public “got it”. There won’t be a single die off, I think, but a slow one. So its not like targeting.just one group, but groups slowly phasing out.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:09 AM, tth2 said:

I hope so!  (thumbsu

If you actually do so, you'll be in a very small minority.  

On 7/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, vodou said:

19 hours ago, zhamlau said:

:wishluck:

Tsk, tsk... this tired subject again?

If any doomsayers can explain or rationalize in their universes why Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's works are so celebrated and collected to this day, give it your best shot.

It's a shame OA boardies themselves don't realize that the best OA isn't just any sort of asset or collectible.

It's art. And I too will be thrilled if the day comes when I can pick up Jim Lee X-Men on the super cheap.  Sadly, I don't see that day coming any time soon.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

If any doomsayers can explain or rationalize in their universes why Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's works are so celebrated and collected to this day, give it your best shot.

It's a shame OA boardies themselves don't realize that the best OA isn't just any sort of asset or collectible.

It's art. And I too will be thrilled if the day comes when I can pick up Jim Lee X-Men on the super cheap.  Sadly, I don't see that day coming any time soon.

Sorry but that's such shlitty logic.

My daughter's second grade macaroni landscape is art too. 

2 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I respect your daughter's macaroni landscape, but I don't think it qualifies as "best OA."

You're absolutely right, best is a qualifier which invalidates that macaroni example, but with all due respect, the oversimplification is in comparing Jim Lee to Henri Toulouse Lautrec as if they have anything in common with each other.    

Jim Lee, HTL and macaroni landscapes have no overlap beyond all being 'art.'  2c

Just now, Bronty said:

You're absolutely right, best is a qualifier which invalidates that macaroni example, but with all due respect, the oversimplification is in comparing Jim Lee to Henri Toulouse Lautrec as if they have anything in common with each other.    

Jim Lee, HTL and macaroni landscapes have no overlap beyond all being 'art.'  2c

Oh, yeah?  I wager because one's Korean-American, and the other French? lol

I do beg to differ.

Just now, exitmusicblue said:

Oh, yeah?  I wager because one's Korean-American, and the other French? lol

I do beg to differ.

Go ahead and beg me.

Your request will be denied :P

Just now, Bronty said:

Go ahead and beg me.

Your request will be denied :P

Tut tut......

And Lee is but an example. Could be Kirby, could be Romita, could be Williamson or Stevens or Artgerm.  Zeitgeist comes in many forms, and those living in or shortly after the times aren't necessarily the ones who decide it for posterity.

Anyhow, my point remains.

31 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Tut tut......

And Lee is but an example. Could be Kirby, could be Romita, could be Williamson or Stevens or Artgerm.  Zeitgeist comes in many forms, and those living in or shortly after the times aren't necessarily the ones who decide it for posterity.

Anyhow, my point remains.

Permission denied :p

3 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Art is a precious commodity for the soul. I think of Charlie thinking of selling his golden ticket- his uncle tells him essentially money comes and goes. A golden ticket—-or one of a kind art—-now that’s something to cherish.