• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN 4 VS ACTION COMICS 23
3 3

326 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Agreed.

And *hint :gossip: The reason why DC has never nor will ever change their official site is because they would never allow a potential, trifling quirk in their delivery schedules 80 years ago to impact their canon in such a nonsensical, irrational manner.

Lesson- Content trumps all.  Rightfully so.  And even more so, over something that cannot conclusively be proven either way from 80 years ago, even if it was true. 

-J.

I NEW I LIKED YOU

37 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I’m not sure how one would go about definitively proving that but I wish you luck!

Easy. Now shut up and get into the box before woo woo wants to jump in too...

D490C5DF-B651-4F22-B4EE-AFA90215B95E.gif.345a8201f7a7f2e00a72ae751cbcf26b.gif

5 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I love to jump in boxes. You are the man or ?

Sorry, no room. You’ll have to take the long way...

2C820640-9D6E-4F91-94FB-FBDAE07C4314.gif.c508214e7254d12df1bb8510417db532.gif

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Nice to know that content and publisher intent are indeed still king in this hobby

Unless shapeshifters are involved, right? :eyeroll:

The market can throw money at whatever it wants, but facts don't change just because you think a publishing schedule was quirky.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Either way I think Action 23 is the book regardless if Sups 4 beat it by a week. See Gambit.

The similarity ends with the publishing sequence not matching the story order. Luthor is a major character in both books. Gambit is a minor character in his first appearance (and that's being polite).

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

The reason why DC has never nor will ever change their official site is because they would never allow a potential, trifling quirk in their delivery schedules 80 years ago to impact their canon in such a nonsensical, irrational manner.

What's the impact to DC? He's not even the same character anymore and hasn't been for decades.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

The similarity ends with the publishing sequence not matching the story order. Luthor is a major character in both books. Gambit is a minor character in his first appearance (and that's being polite).

That's the same as Gambit. Annual 14 IS set after the story in #266. Thats why myself and others have brought this up.

Edited by Rip

3 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

Thanks for that. Truly appreciated. He might have been the one who posted the publication dates that appear to be 100% accurate.

No problem, I would ask Mark for some pencil dates on both comics if you want to pursue the arrival date. If memory serves there's some more pencil dates out there on these covers.

Edited by Rip

8 minutes ago, Rip said:
1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

That's the same as Gambit. The annual (14) IS set after the story in #266.

Um, yeah, that's what I wrote.

5 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

This thread has been a blast to read for some odd reason. A little heavy on all the sarcastic remarks but hey we’re a comic family and every family likes to have heated debates at times!! Great info throughout and I think the OP did his research and made some valid points. That being said when I took my son to his first ever comic convention some 4 years ago we were lucky enough to pick up this wonderful Action 23 under the assumption it was the 1st Luthor in comics. Also just love these old large logo DCs and as far as Action covers are concerned this one is pretty awesome I’m a sucker for moon covers :cloud9: It presents so nicely even though incomplete (stories all there) So based on personal interest alone and what I’ve always assumed Action 23 to me is the 1st app hehehe!! This book carries with it a very fond memory for me!! Carry on...

AAD3E3F9-2F50-41E4-A56D-DBE87FB75FA4.jpeg

651500F7-850F-4551-BF51-25A3B94E755D.jpeg

Awesome story, with great pictures to document it! Congrats.

14 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Don't know if this is any help or not, but I went looking for arrivals dates on Superman #4 tonight to see what I could find and came across this one:

supe4arrive.jpg

Crowzilla, is this accurate or just a little joke? If accurate, can you provide the source?