• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Phish&Comics said:

Were they trimmed? Chemically cleaned? 

Yes. And more. What games have ensued in the sportscard hobby are as far removed from our hobby and CGC's continued abilities, efforts, and extreme success in maintaining integrity, as I would be from earth if I were standing on Pluto, frozen to the ground, of course. (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson

3 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Not according to what we've been told here before. CGC aren't supposed to know which books they pressed.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Are you saying that they have it set up so that (so to speak) "one hand does not know what the other is doing"?

4 hours ago, gotpong said:

Ya, I have two friends that are trying to get a T-206 set (minus Wagner and Plank) and they've collected/sold/bought a lot of graded cards.  Both are disenchanted with the whole hobby now, I know they each are getting refunds from a site that was known to alter their cards, one got over 4k back the other over 8k and they said they have more.  It's a really scary thing.

They shouldn't abandon it. Nothing wrong with piecing together a set by purchasing mid grade cards. The drive for "perfect" cards with brand new paper and impossible colors is what gives the mechanics the impetus to create them to fulfil the demand.

Just now, porcupine48 said:

I can't believe I one no awards.

IN

giphy.gif

You did win one award - can't tell you which yet. :cool: 

Just now, crassus said:
4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I can't believe I won no awards.

IN

giphy.gif

That'the press...and the lock...

Did you know ol' Snaggletooth too?

2 minutes ago, crassus said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Did you know ol' Snaggletooth too?

I was a little surprised at first, I was told to expect a cougar....

hm

17 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

State law differs in Texas. Heritage goes out of their way to clearly explain this very concisely in the rules and details of their auctions. Nothing is hidden, nothing is secret.

9 hours ago, crassus said:

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Are you saying that they have it set up so that (so to speak) "one hand does not know what the other is doing"?

When CGC acquired Classics, and announced it was going to provide their own in-house pressing service, there were a number of concerns with this. You have to look back at the period when this was happening. We had the reverse spine roll, with the Avengers 1, which CGC claimed they were now better equipped (with Classics on-board) to detect spine realignment vis a vis bad pressing, only to see another example appear shortly afterward. We also had the magically shrinking cover, and learned how Smelly-boy was sending in his books to the new in-house grader for a .2 grade increase, and the books were coming back with less of a cover than before they were pressed.  This staged a new climate of concerns revolving around CGC being in the pressing game, and that it would eventually mean pushing out anyone else who was pressing comics (using the "bad pressing" angle), and that they could essentially reward their own work to give them an advantage over everyone else. An equally important concern to the community related to how CGC could now disclose the work being done on the label since they were doing it themselves. To abate both these concerns, CGC claimed their operations were setup in such a way where they had no way of knowing which books came from Matt when they hit the grading room.  I personally don't believe it for one minute, and I provided the contextual examples above to show you how it benefits them to push this narrative.

Edited by comicwiz

This kind of reminds me of the Ewert micro-trimming scandal where someone found a small loophole in the grading process and was able to benefit from CGC missing the work. Sounds like PSA was missing something being done to the cards during their process. 

15 hours ago, comicwiz said:

When CGC acquired Classics, and announced it was going to provide their own in-house pressing service, there were a number of concerns with this. You have to look back at the period when this was happening. We had the reverse spine roll, with the Avengers 1, which CGC claimed they were now better equipped (with Classics on-board) to detect spine realignment vis a vis bad pressing, only to see another example appear shortly afterward. We also had the magically shrinking cover, and learned how Smelly-boy was sending in his books to the new in-house grader for a .2 grade increase, and the books were coming back with less of a cover than before they were pressed.  This staged a new climate of concerns revolving around CGC being in the pressing game, and that it would eventually mean pushing out anyone else who was pressing comics (using the "bad pressing" angle), and that they could essentially reward their own work to give them an advantage over everyone else. An equally important concern to the community related to how CGC could now disclose the work being done on the label since they were doing it themselves. To abate both these concerns, CGC claimed their operations were setup in such a way where they had no way of knowing which books came from Matt when they hit the grading room.  I personally don't believe it for one minute, and I provided the contextual examples above to show you how it benefits them to push this narrative.

So if I understand this correctly, its important that the graders don't know which books are pressed, because if they did they might be obliged to acknowledge it and then some books would be known to be pressed while others wouldn't, and of course the books that are known to be pressed would sell for less than the one's that (at least) might not be pressed, and well that would be a disincentive for people to press books, since nobody would want them. Do I have that right?