• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much significant back cover foxing impacts the grade?

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Looking at buying a grail but the book has significant foxing on the back cover (a little on inside front cover). Pages are OWW with very little foxing.

My guesstimate is that without foxing the book would be around 4.5 (maybe 5.0 with cleaning & pressing)

Any idea?

Here's a pic of the back cover.

Back cover.jpg

I have a daredevil 1 that I sent in that had a clean front but some foxing on the back. I was thinking the book would be around. 7.5 with the foxing but it came back an 8.0 so they don’t count off that much when it’s a medium grade. I’m sure when you get in the 9.0 and up range it will be more. 

On 10/13/2019 at 7:57 PM, Mdesimone said:

I have a Incredible Hulk 181 that got a 9.6 with small foxing and a stain on back cover

must of been a very small stain as I know CGC usually hits for the stains

also kind of hard to give a grade with only the back cover.

but I dont think they do much for foxing on mid grade as someone mentioned before.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, Krismusic said:

must of been a very small stain as I know CGC usually hits for the stains

And lest we forget, I feel compelled to mention just how much our own JoeyPost hates stains. That stands as prime testimony from the highest of the high when it comes to defects. (worship)