• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, a guy re-sold 2 of my restored books within a month, with well over $1000 profit on each...

11 posts in this topic

The comics in question were both X-Men 1... one a 7.0, and one an 8.5. He won them in auctions of mine about two months ago. You can look the separate sales up on eBay. Actually, you can find them on this search link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xx-men+1++cgc.TRS0&_nkw=x-men+1+cgc+1963&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_sadis=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=x-men+1+8.5+7.0+cgc&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_stpos=11552-1618

He auctioned the 7.0 and made $1000+ in profit over what he bought it for.

And he profited over $2000 on the 8.5, from what he won mine for a month earlier!!

I thought, what is he doing to get higher prices... that I'm not?

So I looked further and found what I believe to be an interesting "ploy".

Keep in mind that this is conjecture, but based on the following two pieces of evidence:

1. His auctions are private bidder only.

2. His first auction for the 7.0 ended with a winner... but then he relisted it immediately and sold it again within a week.

My conclusion: he does the private bidder thing to shill up the price himself.

And the auction he relisted immediately, despite having a winner? He shill-bidded it up too high, and won it himself.

Now I'll give him "credit": that his "technique", if he's indeed doing this, is quite effective on a restored book... where a value is much harder to determine, and even a bidded-up price will be waaaay lower than Universal.

And again, this is total speculation on my part.

Just thought it was interesting. :)

Edited by oldrover

14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Keep in mind that this is conjecture, but based on the following two pieces of evidence:

1. His auctions are private bidder only.

2. His first auction for the 7.0 ended with a winner... but then he relisted it immediately and sold it again within a week.

My conclusion: he does the private bidder thing to shill up the price himself.

And the auction he relisted immediately, despite having a winner? He shill-bidded it up too high, and won it himself.

I can confirm that this is a scam technique used on Ebay since at least 1997, almost as common as overcharging for shipping. 

So he's gonna keep relisting and shilling relisting and shilling until the price settles down to...what he bought em for.

10 minutes ago, justafan said:

at what point does ebay just refuse to refund the fvf and force the transaction due to too many cancellations?

probably at no point.