• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$90,000 = All-time record for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (August 1, 2019)
4 4

138 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Interesting question actually... So let's imagine this scenario...

• Person A - Consigns FF1 to Heritage.
  • Person B - Bids on FF1
  • Heritage uses the NP Gresham routine to bid the price up
  • Person B - Taps out making NP Gresham (Heritage) the winner. 
  • Heritage loses their cookies because Heritage is on the hook for a payout to Person A
  • Person A does not want to hear that a fake account / shill bidding through heritage bid the book up to a point that a sale does not occur. 
  • Heritage contacts Person B and offers the book at the underbidder price. 
  • However, Person B spent their money elsewhere at the auction so they are no longer an interesting party. 

According to this ten year old article.  Heritage buys and owns the book. https://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/2009/09/lifting_the_veil_at_heritage_a.html

Now... the real question is, does this practice still occur with Heritage buying their 'wins' and if so, how soon does that book hit the market again so Heritage recoup's its losses?

This is why I have not and will never deal with Heritage. 

18 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I imagine those with 9.8 copies of this book will be listing them for sale as quickly as possible, and we’ll see if this is the new NM/MT price.

I doubt it.  Here's why:

Bidder X won for $90,000.

Bidder Y was 2nd highest and lost at $85,000, the Heritage increment below $90,000.

Bidder Z was 3rd highest and quit bidding before $85,000 but they could have quit bidding at $10,000 for all we know.

The next sale of this book could only include bidders Y and Z doing the same thing, the final price could be $10,500, and it would be the same auction as yesterday (minus Bidder X).

Edited by valiantman

32 minutes ago, D84 said:

This is why I have not and will never deal with Heritage. 

I'm not bidding into the $90,000 range to begin with.   If I have $90,000 to spend on Turtles 1 in 9.8 then I am buying a 9.4 for far less and then using that money in other areas. 

However, I always enter into the mindset that when it comes to comics, there will always be another one.  I bid into my comfort zone.  Sometimes that is a little depending on the book.  Sometimes that is a lot. 

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I doubt it.  Here's why:

Bidder Y was 2nd highest and lost at $85,000, the Heritage increment below $90,000.

Bidder Z was 3rd highest and quit bidding before $85,000 but they could have quit bidding at $10,000 for all we know.

The next sale of this book could only include bidders Y and Z doing the same thing, the final price could be $10,500, and it would be the same auction as yesterday (minus Bidder X).

I have always said that something is really only worth what the underbidder was willing to pay.

23 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
56 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I doubt it.  Here's why:

I have always said that something is really only worth what the underbidder was willing to pay.

Yep, and in the case of two copies available, the price of the second one is driven by what the under-underbidder is willing to pay. :grin:

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

According to this ten year old article.  Heritage buys and owns the book. https://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/2009/09/lifting_the_veil_at_heritage_a.html

Now... the real question is, does this practice still occur with Heritage buying their 'wins' and if so, how soon does that book hit the market again so Heritage can recoup its losses?

If they're putting the books right back into Heritage Auctions, then it would be pretty simple to see which books are auctioned and reauctioned in short time spans.  Since that's easy to check, it seems more likely that Heritage would use another venue to sell their inventory if it's a recoup quickly situation.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Because being able to see "sold" listings on eBay makes that site more legitimate?

I was referring to all auction sites, eBay is just as guilty. But I guess I should of been more  specific with the context to my question, is there a option to see on Heritage a completed successfully option to view? Kind of like on here? Sorry for the confusion. 

Just now, MGsimba77 said:

This is padded room level crazy! :facepalm: A book from '84 with over 20 9.8s (up till now) does not merit 90k . I always thought Cerebus 1 in some grade not seen before would be the youngest book to reach that level 

Yeah, Do you think a cerebus 1 9.8 even exists?  I doubt it. 

Cerebus #1 does not exist in 9.8. If it did, Dave would have had it. His file copies topped out at 9.4, and he purposely went through the print runs, cherrypicking them from the printer. The book was just printed on garbage.

If a Cerebus #1 in 9.8 showed up...it won't, but if it did....it would be a $50,000+ book.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Cerebus #1 does not exist in 9.8. If it did, Dave would have had it. His file copies topped out at 9.4, and he purposely went through the print runs, cherrypicking them from the printer. The book was just printed on garbage.

If a Cerebus #1 in 9.8 showed up...it won't, but if it did....it would be a $50,000+ book.

Yeah, that would be insane if that ever showed up.  Probably the only one to ever exist

41 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

In light of this 90k I wouldn't be surprised if that fetched well north of 100k

14 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

This is padded room level crazy! :facepalm: A book from '84 with over 20 9.8s (up till now) does not merit 90k . I always thought Cerebus 1 in some grade not seen before would be the youngest book to reach that level 

I could see a couple of foreign players getting the TMNT bug and going hog wild after it.  Perhaps Saudi's from Dubai or maybe some crazy rich Asians.  They got lots of money too. 

14 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I could see a couple of foreign players getting the TMNT bug and going hog wild after it.  Perhaps Saudi's from Dubai or maybe some crazy rich Asians.  They got lots of money too. 

It only takes a couple of deep pockets