• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've noticed a lot of bid retractions lately...
1 1

56 posts in this topic

So recently I've won two Auctions on ebay with tracking bids, which ended up with my bid as the highest bid after being notified from ebay as the highest bidder now after retractions.  (near end f auction), and currently winning two more auctions now after even more retractions being behind two other bidders... What is going on?

Also won a book on M.C.S with a discount back to my original tracking bid, when I was losing the item with less than 10 minutes to go... (behind 2 other bidders)

What is going on lately???

All reputable sellers that I've dealt with before. Just wondering if anyone else has had books fall back to them lately due to retractions? ???

Edited by nepatkm

5 minutes ago, kav said:

retract your bids and then if there was shilling the bidders ahead of your retracted bid will drop out and you'll get ANOTHER notification-for cheaper!

No, I’m happy I won the bids, almost at opening price.. no arguments from me. But for sellers seeing an auction get up to $109 then dropping to $29.99 seconds before close must be frustrating right? @kav 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also I did bid higher near end of auctions, but retractions from up to 2 other bidders brought the prices back down to my tracking bid...which won, good for me, but feel bad for the sellers. 

Edited by nepatkm

2 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Also I did bid higher near end of auctions, but retractions from up to 2 other bidders brought the prices back down to my tracking bid...which won :banana: good for me, but feel bad for the sellers. 

Was it this book?

0dc05aae2f7b347cc3fa1c0f01501572.jpg

Won this for my tracking bid of $29 , the bids were over my high bid, wrote this item off, however I woke up the next morning to winning my second copy of this issue, at the price of my tracking bid. :insane:

Because of retractions.   

F23B57A8-A854-42F9-A5DD-B59E19774C4B.png

Edited by nepatkm
Because

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

No, I’m happy I won the bids, almost at opening price.. no arguments from me. But for sellers seeing an auction get up to $109 then dropping to $29.99 seconds before close must be frustrating right? @kav 🤷🏼‍♂️

It can still be problematic for you.

Say you're the high bidder for a book and get outbid. At your bid limit, you decline to up your bid to try to top that, so you write that item off and move on looking elsewhere for the same book, find it, commit to buy it or buy it. Then you get the notice that you "won" the book you wrote off because the bidder over you cancelled his bid, making you the high bidder and winner, "please pay your seller"!

We've discussed the options ebay provides for cancelling a purchase, and I think this type of scenario was what the "found it cheaper elsewhere" or "changed my mind" drop down box reasons are perfectly suited for.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Say you're the high bidder for a book and get outbid. At your bid limit, you decline to up your bid to try to top that, so you write that item off and move on looking elsewhere for the same book, find it, commit to buy it or buy it. Then you get the notice that you "won" the book you wrote off because the bidder over you cancelled his bid, making you the high bidder and winner, "please pay your seller"!

We've discussed the options ebay provides for cancelling a purchase, and I think this type of scenario was what the "found it cheaper elsewhere" or "changed my mind" drop down box reasons are perfectly suited for.

yep

Edited by kav

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes it is a problem, and it’s happening more frequently. 😔

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

People are getting bidders remorse

Either that or it's the crazy guy who bought the TMNT for 90k and realizes he doesnt have enough left over to get those bookslol

Sorry

Its early

Unfortunately people aren’t taking their bids ( commitments ) seriously lately.

And thats a bad thing. 

3 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Unfortunately people aren’t taking their bids ( commitments ) seriously lately.

And thats a bad thing. 

Genuine bids, placed with the intention to honor them, or not, bidders on ebay don't have to take them seriously and they know that. Especially if this pattern is habitual for them. The buyer has pretty much been given free reign by ebay to the extent that winning and paying is an honor system without tangible enforcement backing the process. If they try that in Heritage Auctions or most other auction houses, unless there's extenuating circumstances, they will not be allowed to bid in the future. They will not be given a third, a fourth, a fifth, and so on pass to rinse and repeat.

I've had this happen to me a lot for the past few months one time though it was a 7 day bid I put my max in someone went a bit over mine and it stayed that way until less than a day before auction was closing I got a email I am highest bidder but there was 3 other bidders over mine I guess all 3 dropped out but I spent the fund else where since I was outbid 5 days before auction was going to end and less than a few hours till item ended I get the email I felt bad and emailed the seller right away and resolved it. 

My only question is how did the guy 5 days with his higher bid in get his bid retracted he/she was 3 days the highest bidder before they were outbid.