• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finlay

99 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, buttock said:

Early Finlay, I agree with you.  However by the mid 40s he was masterful.  

51yu7uwue7L._SL500_.jpg

Love this and want to track down a copy.

Could you tell me where,what issue this was originally on?

(just for funsies,I likely couldn't find,swing an original)

36 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Love this and want to track down a copy.

Could you tell me where,what issue this was originally on?

(just for funsies,I likely couldn't find,swing an original)

December 1946.

You can swing an original, I saw at least four copies on AbeBooks.  I stopped looking once the price got over $20.

5 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

December 1946.

You can swing an original, I saw at least four copies on AbeBooks.  I stopped looking once the price got over $20.

Thank you!I'm sort of shocked,pleasantly surprised.And I didn't know about that site to browse.I'm real green at this.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Thank you!I'm sort of shocked,pleasantly surprised.And I didn't know about that site to browse.I'm real green at this.

Abebooks is a great general used book site, consolidating tons of sellers.  Not a lot of comics there, but I've had a lot of luck with magazines.

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

This title is chock full of amazing Finlay covers and they're dirt cheap.  They're common and low demand.  

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

This title is chock full of amazing Finlay covers and they're dirt cheap.  They're common and low demand.  The publisher sought out the best authors, so if you want to read them, not too shabby.  

5 hours ago, buttock said:

This title is chock full of amazing Finlay covers and they're dirt cheap.  They're common and low demand.  The publisher sought out the best authors, so if you want to read them, not too shabby.  

Just in general, I figure on average a pulp will cost 1/10 to 1/100 what you would expect a comic of similar vintage and importance to cost.  Famous Fantastic Mysteries in particular is notoriously cheap.  It was almost all reprint, but it had good stories and was SF/ Fantasy based.  So it was well collected when it came out, but collectors have rejected it for decades as just reprints.  It's starting to get more respect for its frequently amazing covers and art, but you can still find most issues under $20 and lots under $10.

But even more important books are less expensive than you would expect.  I paid $100 for a low grade but nicely presenting copy of the first appearance of Buck Rogers a couple years ago.  It was admittedly a good deal at the time, but you can't tell me that would go for anything less than 10K no matter the grade if it was a comic.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Just in general, I figure on average a pulp will cost 1/10 to 1/100 what you would expect a comic of similar vintage and importance to cost.  Famous Fantastic Mysteries in particular is notoriously cheap.  It was almost all reprint, but it had good stories and was SF/ Fantasy based.  So it was well collected when it came out, but collectors have rejected it for decades as just reprints.  It's starting to get more respect for its frequently amazing covers and art, but you can still find most issues under $20 and lots under $10.

But even more important books are less expensive than you would expect.  I paid $100 for a low grade but nicely presenting copy of the first appearance of Buck Rogers a couple years ago.  It was admittedly a good deal at the time, but you can't tell me that would go for anything less than 10K no matter the grade if it was a comic.

I read an article recently by a long time pulp collector who said that this was the title that he advised everyone start with for the reasons you outlined above.

It was Julie Schwartz who engaged Finlay to draw for DC.  He was aware of his art from his time as an pulp fan and agent for pulp writer.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, RedFury said:

I've been posting covers, because that's what I have scanned, but it's really Finlay's interior pen-and-ink illustrations that are his best work.

Totally agree with this - while Finlay’s covers are good (I prefer Brundage), his interior illos are just phenomenal.