• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best device for Reading digital comics

22 posts in this topic

Looking to make the switch to digital comics. Any recommendations on your favorite device to read on?

I tried using my surface, but that hard to hold while laying down so... Interested in non-apple devices, lighter the better. If you want to list some pros and cons that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

my phone Pro its with me always and easy to hold as I always hold it for period of time. Con its a small screen, but the Marvel unlimited has that zoom feature where it makes like each panel the size of the screen so that helps a lot. 

8 minutes ago, Avi said:

What the what?

sorry meant to say My phone. 

Pros: …. 

My bad for the Grammar.:foryou:

I think the OP wanted non-apple devices, but in the case I think the simple answer is to use a light tablet that fits your single use or multiple use costs and desires.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Another case of me being :censored:ing blind.

it happens :martini:

I have an iPad Pro 12.9, which is brilliant for reading digital comics, and so, at this level, you'd be looking for an equivalent Microsoft Surface Pro tablet.

I bought a used Nexus 7 for super cheap, literally just to read digital comics. I think I got an older generation one for like $50 on eBay. It's the perfect size with a 7" screen and small enough to toss into a backpack. Really any 7" Android tablet will work fine. That seems to be my sweet spot for size and readability.

20 hours ago, Avi said:

Looking to make the switch to digital comics. Any recommendations on your favorite device to read on?

I tried using my surface, but that hard to hold while laying down so... Interested in non-apple devices, lighter the better. If you want to list some pros and cons that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10 inch or 8 or 7 inch Kindle Fire.

I don't know if you want to wait but on Black Friday they go for significantly cheaper prices.

In my personal experience once you get into digital comics on a Kindle Fire or iPad it`s hard to go back to the print version.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I used a really old iPad 2 for years, pretty much just for this purpose, and it was great. Sadly, the screen finally cracked and rendered it unusable about a month ago. Now, I use an old LG Gpad 7.0 that I usually use as a book eReader. It's a bit smaller, but works fine enough for comics.

37 minutes ago, Avi said:

I was leaning towards a Samsung 10" but I'll have to give the amazon fire a look.

For those using a 7" tablet do you have to zoom in and out to read the panels?

Having to pinch zoom and magnify a page of reduced size on a 7" tablet was the main factor that made me look forward to the arrival of larger tablets such as the iPad Pro or Surface Pro, where you can read the whole page easily without adjustment.

Comixology has Guided View, which directs you through a page by magnifying sections of the page sequentially, panel by panel.  Very useful for smaller tablets, but still very interesting in larger devices to inspect finer details in the comic art.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Avi said:

I was leaning towards a Samsung 10" but I'll have to give the amazon fire a look.

For those using a 7" tablet do you have to zoom in and out to read the panels?

I would just buy the Kindle Fire HD 10 inch. It`s worth it in the long run.

7 inch is doable but the 10 inch is superior.

You will be able to pick up a 10 inch Kindle Fire HD for $99 on Black Friday at Amazon.

One bonus to remember about the Amazon Kindle Fire is Amazon owns Comixology and the digital deals are like out of this world. I have bought digital Marvel Masterworks and Marvel Epic trade paperbacks between $1.00 and $5.99.

More than a hundred times I got 500 page digital trade paperbacks at those prices.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur