• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It's because, even if there is little precision in linking the Internet bidding price to the ultimate sale price during the live bidding session, there is a wide variance of outcomes during the live session.  If everything in the live session did a lot better than during the Internet bidding session, then the correlation wouldn't be zero, on the contrary, there would be a high correlation given the predictable relationship.  Hence...people get worked up, because there's no guarantee that a low price in the Internet session will normalize in the live session.  Even in this overall strong market, lots do fall through the cracks regularly, especially for more niche/genre pieces (mainstream first-tier Marvel & DC hero art not often these days).

Hence, agita.  My consignments still need to rise 71% for me just to break even today! :cry: :ohnoez: 

Right. Don’t know if the Grell Starslayer covers was one of yours, but that went for an absurdly cheap price. Why? It’s a niche non superhero, 80’s Indy comic that doesn’t have a big current nostalgia following 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

19 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Not my thing, just an example:

Excalibur #1 page 6 by Alan and Neary

before live bidding: $310

hammer with bp: ~$2400

Hopes were crushed; anxiousness quelled. 

Yeah, that’s about the same % increase pre/Post live bidding that I need for my consignments to hit FMV  😂 

So far, not good on my consignments:

4% loss on my Enric Vampirella painting (held since 2003)

19% loss on my Jose Gonzalez Vampirella complete story (held since 2008), which is a classic story.  Sold well below the break-up value, didn't even clear $1K a page.  Some dealer will have the splash priced at $5-$10K soon enough I'm sure.  I should have just broken it up myself.  Extremely unhappy about this result. 

50% loss on my Jose Gonzalez color piece (held since 2003).  This does not spark joy.

Buy what you like only works as a strategy if you like what everybody else likes apparently. :( 

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

19% loss on my Jose Gonzalez Vampirella complete story (held since 2008), which is a classic story.  Sold well below the break-up value, didn't even clear $1K a page.  Some dealer will have the splash priced at $5-$10K soon enough I'm sure.  I should have just broken it up myself.  Extremely unhappy about this result. 

50% loss on my Jose Gonzalez color piece (held since 2003).  This does not spark joy.

Buy what you like only works as a strategy if you like what everybody else likes apparently. :( 

Sorry about the results Gene.  Don't mean to rub salt into the wound, but why DIDN'T you break up the Vampi story?  Mistaken selling strategy, or just wanted to keep a classic story together out of respect for the art form?

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Dibs......trademarked

Buy What They Love™

18 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Sorry to hear.   Never fun to take a loss.

20 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It also works if you keep the stuff until you die. 

9 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Sorry about the results Gene.  Don't mean to rub salt into the wound, but why DIDN'T you break up the Vampi story?  Mistaken selling strategy, or just wanted to keep a classic story together out of respect for the art form?

I think it was a bit of both - partly out of respect for the art form (I love complete stories and always prefer to keep them together) and partly just wanting to give Heritage one chunky lot for the Signature Auction rather than spread out the sale over time (including the weekly auctions).  In any case, this is a terrible price in a market when good Gonzalez Vampi pages (of which this story has a number of them) can easily fetch $2K or more and splashes as good as this one should be in the mid-4 figures.  

Made 50% on my James Jean Fables cover (held since 2011) so we are running at about a break-even pace here with 3 more lots to go.  That said, the all-in price ended at the low-end of my expectations, and at a level which does not spark joy after HA takes its cut.  

And, since I know that Vodou is concerned - every penny will be reported to the IRS (not that there's liable to be much, if any, gain on this consignment the way things are going...sigh).

23 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

how did you do on the fables?

Paging through the upcoming lots on the site....using the "quick zoom preview" they have from the main page and noticed this about one of the miller lots.

Hidden value!!!

1229086714_Millerhongkong.thumb.png.45cd950a7ad11a29e8b44f071fde5964.png

12 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Dibs......trademarked

Buy What They Love™

And I have trademarked:  Buy What They Will Love™

But, seriously...woe be the buyer with niche interests. :( 

I seriously want to know who paid $20.4K for that late era Enric Vampi commission in the last HA auction.  The two Enrics in today's sale are both so, so, so much nicer and neither fetched anywhere near that amount.