• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: All-American Men of War #18
2 2

15 posts in this topic

2.0 large tear out of back cover and tape pull on front cover not sure what the white at the top right area is as it looks fuzzy guessing tape pull as well? 

Question is that BC tear sealed? looks darker on that tear from Inside cover? Not a resto expert but trying to learn the ropes of resto detection. 

3 hours ago, Krishosein said:

tape pull on front cover

I know it looks like there is tape pull going across the cattails, but it is actually just part of the artwork. 

not sure what the white at the top right area is as it looks fuzzy guessing tape pull as well?

1180149882_All-AmericanMenofWar18_6.JPG.08939741bc8890082cdadf727d2c7a73.JPG

large tear out of back cover

This tear on the back cover measures 1.75 inches:

1360913372_All-AmericanMenofWar18_7.JPG.73f6c12a00f34ddb98c5c5f083fc41d9.JPG

Question is that BC tear sealed?

I just checked and do not think it is.

looks darker on that tear from Inside cover?

229228831_All-AmericanMenofWar18_8.JPG.c3b26be0e1963e65aae9d4810b10b0a4.JPG

lets get Lions Den to check out that tear but my guess not 100% is that it looked like it was sealed previously and maybe removed. @The Lions Den can you maybe weigh in here about the tear seal 

3 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

lets get Lions Den to check out that tear but my guess not 100% is that it looked like it was sealed previously and maybe removed. @The Lions Den can you maybe weigh in here about the tear seal 

Many times folks will seal a tear, and then eventually the sealant deteriorates and leaves a stain in that area...

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Many times folks will seal a tear, and then eventually the sealant deteriorates and leaves a stain in that area...

(thumbsu

nice so I was kind of on the right track by noticing that there was probably a seal there before? 

On 8/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, Krishosein said:

Question is that BC tear sealed? looks darker on that tear from Inside cover? Not a resto expert but trying to learn the ropes of resto detection.

I like the way you're following the clues to lead you to your conclusion. Even if that's not what it is, you can still back up your theory with visual evidence. 

Or maybe I've just been watching too many episodes of "Bones" lately... :whistle:

1 hour ago, creaturefan95 said:

@Krishosein Did my back cover scan contribute to your impression that the tear was still sealed? If so, the close-up is a more accurate representation of how it actually appears.

@The Lions Den How would CGC grade this book?

Sometimes a tear seal will still be partially sealed. In this case, it appears the tear is fully open, which actually should help you in the "purple label" department. 

I can only offer opinions based on the scans provided, but from what I can see, I think the 2.5 - 3.0 range is reasonable. :)

I would be with Lion and be at 2.0 as there is heavy creasing but most of it is colour breaking so a press might help a little but it can't help CB creasings

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Or to be less specific, it's "likely between a 2.0 and a 4.0..."   

I haven't seen that option on ebay yet for books is this only for the U.S.