• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Would You Prefer, 8.0 (C/OW) or 7.5 (W)?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I'm looking at some CGC graded books on Ebay. I'm sorry, but I can't share the issue, as I don't want it to be bought out from under me.

One book is CGC 8.0, with Cream to Off-White pages. The other book is CGC 7.5, with White pages. Also, the second book is $50 cheaper.

Which would you prefer?

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

A ballpark of the price might be helpful

or the age

If you want it just to have it for your personal collection, and they present relatively the same, go the cheaper route. If you think you may sell it down the road, maybe putting in the extra $50 would be worth the investment. When I'm filling holes and hit a key that is out of my price range, I don't mind buying a cheaper. That way I have the issue and I can always upgrade later.

some people are white page only collectors I would go with the 7.5 as its white pages the other is off white to cream. but my decision really depends on the book what kind of book, where does it fit in my collection will I resell later which looks nicer is it a filler book or a key. 

SOOOOO many factors to consider when debating a purchase.. since we can't know the book I think the decision is best left up to you we can only speculate.

11 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm looking at some CGC graded books on Ebay. I'm sorry, but I can't share the issue, as I don't want it to be bought out from under me.

One book is CGC 8.0, with Cream to Off-White pages. The other book is CGC 7.5, with White pages. Also, the second book is $50 cheaper.

Which would you prefer?

Joe

I just found and bought both. Too bad. So sad

Spoiler

:jokealert:

5 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

I just found and bought both. Too bad. So sad

Reveal hidden contents

:jokealert:

lol oh that's mean.. dudes heart beat probably skipped a beat.. 

Here is an interesting thought (well, to me anyway).  Is there anything that would keep a book in a CGC holder from page color deterioration?  I honestly don't know what environmental factors cause it outside of age, but if pages can start to become off-white/cream, etc. while in the holder, it would seem that buying off-white is a guarantee to not having white pages, and buying white pages is a gamble. 

Of course you wouldn't know unless you crack open the case which defeats the purpose to begin with (semi Schrödinger's cat reference here).  However if the pages don't deteriorate in the CGC case, then this is a moot point, but I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into that or maybe cracked open a white pages rating only to find a bad surprise on page quality.

Thanks!

DJ

18 minutes ago, Donald Jack said:

Here is an interesting thought (well, to me anyway).  Is there anything that would keep a book in a CGC holder from page color deterioration?  I honestly don't know what environmental factors cause it outside of age, but if pages can start to become off-white/cream, etc. while in the holder, it would seem that buying off-white is a guarantee to not having white pages, and buying white pages is a gamble. 

Of course you wouldn't know unless you crack open the case which defeats the purpose to begin with (semi Schrödinger's cat reference here).  However if the pages don't deteriorate in the CGC case, then this is a moot point, but I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into that or maybe cracked open a white pages rating only to find a bad surprise on page quality.

Thanks!

DJ

The CGC cases are designed to limit environmental impact on comics (i.e. allowing air flow to keep natural gases from being trapped within). The history is obviously too narrow to determine exactly how much it helps prevent page discoloring.

Will it keep them white for 100 years? Idk. We know that they'll help preserve their color for at least 20, though.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

We know that they'll help preserve their color for at least 20, though

And that is a good start!  Not sure I'll be worrying about page quality 100 years from now, and my son will probably LONG have burned anything I left behind...

It's interesting that you used 100 years as a reference tool.

From what I've read, that's a standard number that's used to track paper deterioration. From what I understand, in the first 50 years there's usually only mild deterioration; it's in the second 50 years that things noticeably go downhill (much like people, I'm afraid). So if I'm to gain anything from this information, it's to keep your books in as stable an environment as possible in order to successfully slow down the deterioration process.

And make sure you eat well, get enough sleep, don't smoke tobacco or drink alcohol, and use a high quality sun-blocking lotion...  :bigsmile:

Edited by The Lions Den

yeah but the off white to cream pages can go cream  where the white can go to off-white cream its the amount of deterioration that is done and reducing it. The environment is a huge factor in the longevity of the book. 

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The history is obviously too narrow to determine exactly how much it helps prevent page discoloring.

This.  One day I expect it to be discovered all pages get turned green inside a slab, after so many years.  Then we release the CRACKIN'