• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Merry Marvel Marching Society (MMMS)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Love those!!!! I still need some of those!!!!  :ohnoez:   lol  Nice batch!!!!   :headbang:

Thanks Frisco! :headbang:  I've got my "Birthmonth Marvels" on the wall.  I was lucky enough to have been born in one of the MMMS cover months.  :banana:

apr1965b.jpg

13 minutes ago, Roo_Phillip said:

Thanks Frisco! :headbang:  I've got my "Birthmonth Marvels" on the wall.  I was lucky enough to have been born in one of the MMMS cover months.  :banana:

apr1965b.jpg

THAT is totally AWESOME!!!! I toyed with (and haven't completely given up on) the idea of completing the set in very high grade. I have also purchased several of the Mexican publication copies that I've seen with the MMMS box on them!!!! I REALLY dig the little orange box!!!! VERY cool display you've got there!!!  :applause:

6 minutes ago, Roo_Phillip said:

These are the other APR 1965 Marvels.  See anything different?  I've always been puzzled why these didn't have the MMMS box too.  (shrug)  Didn't they want girls to join?

apr1965.jpg

I KNOW!!!! I was puzzled to discover that the MMMS box was completely left off of ALL of the romance books!!!! Missed opportunity if ya ask me! Would've been SO cool if they had it too!!!  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Roo_Phillip said:

These are the other APR 1965 Marvels.  See anything different?  I've always been puzzled why these didn't have the MMMS box too.  (shrug)  Didn't they want girls to join?

apr1965.jpg

All of the club swag showed only the super heroes.  It wouldn't do for the boys to have, for example, the MMMS badge with Spidey, the Thing, the Torch and......Millie the Model on it.  lol

Marvel probably figured that any girls reading the superhero line would probably join the club but that any girls reading ONLY the books geared to girls would not join.  They were probably OK with that because they knew that they were reaching the lion's share of their market anyway.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

All of the club swag showed only the super heroes.  It wouldn't do for the boys to have, for example, the MMMS badge with Spidey, the Thing, the Torch and......Millie the Model on it.  lol

Marvel probably figured that any girls reading the superhero line would probably join the club but that any girls reading ONLY the books geared to girls would not join.  They were probably OK with that because they knew that they were reaching the lion's share of their market anyway.

I'm sure you're right about that. I haven't checked any lists, but I wonder if any girls were listed as members in the comics? 

10 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'm sure you're right about that. I haven't checked any lists, but I wonder if any girls were listed as members in the comics? 

I'm sure there were.  At that time, I knew a girl on the next street that was heavily into comics - the superhero kind...

OP says that he/she has the complete list of published MMMS members.  Let's put that to the test I say!

Edited by pemart1966

17 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm sure there were.  At that time, I knew a girl on the next street that was heavily into comics - the superhero kind...

OP says that he/she has the complete list of published MMMS members.  Let's put that to the test I say!

I think someone was talking about publishing the list but I don't know if anything came of that. When I get a chance, I'll look thru some of my mags to see if I see any girls names. There must be some! 

14 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

All of the club swag showed only the super heroes.  It wouldn't do for the boys to have, for example, the MMMS badge with Spidey, the Thing, the Torch and......Millie the Model on it.

I just checked and you're right, MMMS memorabilia included super-heroines but none of the romance characters.

Patsy, Hedy and Millie did however make it on to the official Marvel stationery though.

img101.thumb.jpg.1cde378c6ca3ecb43ad9414849f153ff.jpg

11 hours ago, Garystar said:

I just checked and you're right, MMMS memorabilia included super-heroines but none of the romance characters.

Patsy, Hedy and Millie did however make it on to the official Marvel stationery though.

img101.thumb.jpg.1cde378c6ca3ecb43ad9414849f153ff.jpg

Those drawings are wild! Hulkie looks like he can't walk, and Fury looks like The Mindworm. The Spidey pose is familiar, but I can't place it. Pretty fun!