• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I asking too much for this ASM collection?
1 1

131 posts in this topic

This thread turned out much more entertaining than I thought it would be.

It’s been sort of mentioned before, but what kind of person is gonna buy this collection in its entirety?

1.  Someone living in UK. Yes comics are more expensive there but the demand is also waaaayyyyy less.  Shipping out of UK (maybe even inside) would be prohibitive.  Currency exchange isn’t fun either.

2.  Well at least a third of people thought (rightly or wrongly) the country and the economy was trash and voted to Brexit.  Nothing has really happened yet to get those people in a better financial situation.  So they’re not buying.

3.  The pound and economy are extremely uncertain over looming Brexit, making a large portion of non-brexiters worried about tying up their money now in illiquid collectibles.

4.  It would take someone fairly wealthy to pay 2000-4000 to begin with.  And a decent amount of wealthy people are being transitioned out of England because of Brexit. Not all or even most, but definitely some.

5.  A decent amount of the wealthier people live in/around London, where physical space is at a premium.  This isn’t a monster collection, but the amount of space it would take isn’t neglible.

5b.  Let’s just be honest, a woman isn’t buying this collection.

6.  After eliminating all of the above, you need someone wealthy who  (not likes but) LOVES Spider-Man, but doesn’t have all or most of the comics you’re selling.  And doesn’t understand the market well enough to know he’s overpaying (by how much is debatable).

7.  Or a dealer.

8. Honestly, your best non-dealer shot was some rich middle eastern or African young person coming to England for college or a new job who has a new flat and suddenly has access to all the cool western culture stuff he was missing on before.  Still might be your best shot, although Brexit probably makes it tougher than it was before for that.

On 8/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Like I said previously - no one wants to hear it, but their books are not worth what they think they are. If he won't budge off that price, he will either (1) wait a very long time for the market to catch up to him or (2) find some clown who can't look at a price guide.

I didn't look at a price guide once. Yeah, I felt like a clown afterwards. There are clowns out there. Just sayen'

1 hour ago, revat said:

This thread turned out much more entertaining than I thought it would be.

It’s been sort of mentioned before, but what kind of person is gonna buy this collection in its entirety?

1.  Someone living in UK. Yes comics are more expensive there but the demand is also waaaayyyyy less.  Shipping out of UK (maybe even inside) would be prohibitive.  Currency exchange isn’t fun either.

2.  Well at least a third of people thought (rightly or wrongly) the country and the economy was trash and voted to Brexit.  Nothing has really happened yet to get those people in a better financial situation.  So they’re not buying.

3.  The pound and economy are extremely uncertain over looming Brexit, making a large portion of non-brexiters worried about tying up their money now in illiquid collectibles.

4.  It would take someone fairly wealthy to pay 2000-4000 to begin with.  And a decent amount of wealthy people are being transitioned out of England because of Brexit. Not all or even most, but definitely some.

5.  A decent amount of the wealthier people live in/around London, where physical space is at a premium.  This isn’t a monster collection, but the amount of space it would take isn’t neglible.

5b.  Let’s just be honest, a woman isn’t buying this collection.

6.  After eliminating all of the above, you need someone wealthy who  (not likes but) LOVES Spider-Man, but doesn’t have all or most of the comics you’re selling.  And doesn’t understand the market well enough to know he’s overpaying (by how much is debatable).

7.  Or a dealer.

8. Honestly, your best non-dealer shot was some rich middle eastern or African young person coming to England for college or a new job who has a new flat and suddenly has access to all the cool western culture stuff he was missing on before.  Still might be your best shot, although Brexit probably makes it tougher than it was before for that.

i'm with you i just kinda stumbled in and there's great Key Comic App stuff, a car crashing picture with Dan doing his own things, the word "clown" almost starting a fist fight because, i dunno really, and top if off with mass shootings and gun rights. And some rational thoughts of Brexit. damn....

I believe this thread to be truly artistic in nature, perhaps worth more than the ASM comics listed. I wish Disney would make a film of this thread and include it in the MCU. 

Edited by NoMan

The OP is a good guy and I wish him luck but it's just not gonna happen.  Now if it was @Buzzetta selling he might have a shot.  That dude can sell used socks on ebay and he consistently gets more for his auctions than others selling the same thing cheaper with free shipping.

54 minutes ago, wombat said:

One woman makes an entire income selling her used underwear online-to men.

18 hours ago, kav said:

The OP is a good guy and I wish him luck but it's just not gonna happen.  Now if it was @Buzzetta selling he might have a shot.  That dude can sell used socks on ebay and he consistently gets more for his auctions than others selling the same thing cheaper with free shipping.

I have yet to enter the "used mens socks" market.  However, after seeing completed listings, maybe instead of throwing them out I should throw them up on eBay.  They would definitely be easy to ship in basic envelopes so cost would be low. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=used+mens+socks&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

19 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have yet to enter the "used mens socks" market.  However, after seeing completed listings, maybe instead of throwing them out I should throw them up on eBay.  They would definitely be easy to ship in basic envelopes so cost would be low. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=used+mens+socks&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

buzz i thought for sure you sold your old sox.

but yes i too have sold things for like $100 that i thought would never sell.  you just leave em up on ebay and one day bing!   you've got mail!  your item has sold!

5 minutes ago, wombat said:

I have never sold on ebay before. I'm going to figure this out and list some socks. 

ebay is great.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

buzz i thought for sure you sold your old sox.

but yes i too have sold things for like $100 that i thought would never sell.  you just leave em up on ebay and one day bing!   you've got mail!  your item has sold!

Shoes, sneakers and sandals.   Originally when I listed things like that I occasionally received a notice of removal from eBay saying that my listing was prohibited.  Eventually though people started flipping their old pairs of Jordans.  Jordans are collectable so eBay could no longer make the distinction between what was valuable and used and what was well... grimy old sneakers... so they stopped taking those listings down. 

However, I never knew you could get away with listing old pairs of socks until today... lol 

Markets have opened.