John Romita sr sketch, original or a fake?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

9 posts
Posted (edited)

I purchased this a few years ago. And yes unfortunately I don't have a COA but looking over it, it looks fine. But just hoping someone with a keener eye could tell me. Thanks in advance.imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

received_869919233341569.jpeg

received_708127126301957.jpeg

received_494332187795247.jpeg

received_358916891704505.jpeg

received_432446027357750.jpeg

received_374575756564127.jpeg

received_1183301275190087.jpeg

Edited by thatcomicbookguy1

42,894 posts

To my eye it's doesn't look right, the line is shaky , the inks lack the smoothness and confidence you see from a Romita inked piece, some of the aspects of the drawing along with the signature are either hesitant, or slightly off from a Romita piece of this vintage. 

That's just my opinion though, and from seeing dozens if not hundreds of Romita pieces in hand over the years. I could be wrong I suppose. 

893 posts

The webbing on Spidey's face looks awkward, but I have no idea if this is Romita or not.

What's weirder -- have you put "La Monde Galleries" into google with that address?  Just one result, and it's the NY registration for that firm.  No evidence that they otherwise ever existed. 

620 posts

That does not look like Romita to me at all.  It looks like another artist copied a Romita pose.  I think it's a fake.

I hope it wasn't too expensive.

1,765 posts

Likewise, fake.  Have never seen such shaky/uneven Romita Sr. lines.  And he could still draw a mean line in the early 90s.

1,765 posts

Plus, the mask is a dead giveaway.

Plenty of cons have prolly figured Romita SR is easy to fake, but his art is deceptively simple.  There's a boldness + balance to the strokes.

23,395 posts

Totally fake. The "signature" is so, so bad - the only way Romita signed it is if he was standing unsupported on a moving subway car at the time.  The costume is pathetically drawn, and then the fake gallery stamp on the back to add legitimacy to the piece does exactly the opposite for veteran combatants in this hobby. 

893 posts

I am curious where you got this from - did the seller have assurances about the provenance?

1,829 posts

I agree with everyone else, but that left elbow gives the whole thing away. That's either a bad artist, or a bad trace job. That's not the hand of a seasoned, respected pro like JR.

14,202 posts

Looks lightboxed to me.

289 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Apparently there's more than one...

60413290_1_x1_400x400.jpg

They do claim provenance details are available.  I don't recall John doing much work with watercolors though.

https://www.syndicart.co.uk/index.php/all-artists/john-romita-sr/spiderman-john-romita-sr-detail

This one looks better! I guess it comes from this auction: https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76XS/john-romita-sr-spiderman
Origin would be "Private collection, Hungary".

But on the same auction they also had a "great" Calvin&Hobbes watercolor that did not sell :bigsmile:
https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76UI/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes

Edited by NicoV

4,140 posts
Just now, NicoV said:

L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L O L.

2,574 posts
57 minutes ago, NicoV said:

This one looks better! I guess it comes from this auction: https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76XS/john-romita-sr-spiderman

But on the same auction they also had a "great" Calvin&Hobbes watercolor that did not sell :bigsmile:
https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76UI/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes

Really???  Because that looks absolutely nothing like JR Sr.'s signature.

447 posts

13 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

dead giveaway.

I couldn’t resist ....

1,829 posts
3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Apparently there's more than one...

60413290_1_x1_400x400.jpg

They do claim provenance details are available.  I don't recall John doing much work with watercolors though.

https://www.syndicart.co.uk/index.php/all-artists/john-romita-sr/spiderman-john-romita-sr-detail

That second one looks more legit. It still may be a fake, but it’s “light” years better than the original. 

10,927 posts
Posted (edited)

First one's terrible, I can't imagine it being real.  The second looks way nicer, but my Spidey sense is tingling.  Mike?  @romitaman

Edited by Unca Ben

29 posts

sig is horrible in the first, and only slightly less horrible in the second one.  Neither looks legit to me.  Also, anything from Hungary does not count as provenance to me.

533 posts

Signature is not even close.

dvdvvede.jpeg.7524bbb002d40f538fdd3560af656a96.jpeg

received_494332187795247.thumb.jpeg.441239466640b1968a80d36ee8bff0a8.thumb.jpg.0ce28b35867f92342eb9439544f62647.jpg