• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC planning Death in the Family movie...?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

God I hope that don't screw it up like they did The Killing Joke.

I mean, I'm all for them going outside the technical bounds of the story, but only if it gives Jason Todd more color -- say, including Batman 408-416. What I *don't* want is extension into his Red Hood revival.

14 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Rumor or speculation? Not sure.. either way ya heard it here first... we'll, at least right after this:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/dc-planning-batman-death-family-animated-movie/amp/

WB announced this back in July when it also brought up Superman: Red Son and the first reveal of Batman: Hush. But good to see they are going forward with it now.

IGN is pleased to debut the exclusive trailer for DC Showcase - Batman: Death in the Family, the next animated DC Universe movie from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, and the first to feature interactive storytelling elements. You can watch the trailer in the player above or embedded below.

DC Showcase - Batman: Death in the Family will debut on Blu-ray and Digital HD in Fall 2020.

An adaptation of the 1988 comic book storyline of the same name, Death in the Family chronicles the tragic death of second Robin Jason Todd at the hand of the Joker. The film is essentially a prequel to 2010's Batman: Under the Red Hood and will feature several returning voice actors, including Bruce Greenwood as Batman, Vincent Martella as Jason Todd, and John DiMaggio as Joker. The cast also includes Zehra Fazal (Young Justice) as Talia al Ghul and Gary Cole (Veep) as both Two-Face and Commissioner Gordon.

However, Death in the Family isn't a straightforward prequel, but rather an interactive short film with multiple branching story paths (a la Netflix's Black Mirror: Bandersnatch). Viewers will be presented with choices at pivotal moments in the story, allowing them to decide whether Jason lives or dies and determining the course of Jason's life. The trailer hints at some major deviations from established continuity, with Jason returning to Gotham as a bandaged assassin and taking up the mantle of Red Robin.

This interactive element is likely a callback to the original comic's infamous fan-voting campaign. DC established a 1-900 number, allowing fans to call and vote on whether they wanted Jason to live or die. The "die" vote narrowly won out, though DC did eventually resurrect the character in 2005's Batman: Under the Hood (the inspiration for the Under the Red Hood movie). DC also called back to that poll following an episode of Titans: Season 2 last year.

Similar to 2010's Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, Batman: Death in the Family will include several other DC animated shorts to make up for its shorter runtime. Also included in this set are the previously released Sgt. Rock, Death, Adam Strange, and The Phantom Stranger short films.

Don’t waste your money on this.  They appear to have re used content from the relatively recent Under the Red Hood Movie.

Pretty weak effort which is surprising for DC Animation.

#Review #BatmanDeathInTheFamily bat.1defa0.png 

If you were disappointed after seeing the digital copy of this animated film that's because you missed out on the real exciting approach to the classic story. Get the bluray and you find out you have total control of the entire story, to include making Robin a murderer called 'Red Robin' that tracks down and kills The Joker. And it isn't one choice you make. All the way through the story you alter the direction including determining whether to kill or save certain characters. It is fantastic and a huge miss on the part of WB/DC for not figuring this out with the digital copy. This is interactive all the way through when it comes to the bluray.

This includes a scene where Jason Todd and Tim Drake happen across one another, and you decide whether or not they become enemies or comrades based on YOUR DECISION. So the old interactive fantasy story approach that became popular in the 1970s with Dungeon & Dragons-like stories.

Why the Digital Version Is Different From the Physical Version

The one downside to this interactive approach is that it won't be available on the digital versions of Batman: Death in the Family. Only the physical Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD and DVD discs have that option. The Digital HD release is non-interactive, and most likely the same holds true for the eventual DC Universe or HBO Max versions.

We assume technical limitations are the culprit here (though Netflix certainly proved interactive streaming movies are possible with Black Mirror: Bandersnatch). Instead, the digital release will consist of four distinct, non-interactive versions of the movie. One of these is presented as a direct, in-canon prequel to Under the Red Hood called "Under the Red Hood: Reloaded." The other three versions will be presented as alternate universe stories, under the titles "Jason Todd’s Rebellion," "Robin’s Revenge" and "Red Hood’s Reckoning."

This suggests there are basically four main story paths in the interactive movie, even if Blu-ray viewers have more leeway to customize the plot to their liking along the way. The disc version also features roughly five minutes of footage that won't be included in any of the digital versions.

In short, even if you tend to buy the digital releases of these animated movies or wait until they're available to stream, you might want to make a point of buying a physical copy this time. That's the only way to get the full, interactive experience.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, piper said:

Don’t waste your money on this.  They appear to have re used content from the relatively recent Under the Red Hood Movie.

Pretty weak effort which is surprising for DC Animation.

In saying this, I am thinking you saw the online (digital) version which initially I did too. Big miss!

Bluray on this one. And only bluray.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

In saying this, I am thinking you saw the online (digital) version which initially I did too. Big miss!

Bluray on this one. And only bluray.

Yes. That’s a shame.  I haven’t purchased a bluray in a few years.

I’ve purged most of my physical media at this point. I know there could be potential pitfalls as I don’t “own” the content but frankly, it took up too much room.

14 minutes ago, piper said:

Yes. That’s a shame.  I haven’t purchased a bluray in a few years.

I’ve purged most of my physical media at this point. I know there could be potential pitfalls as I don’t “own” the content but frankly, it took up too much room.

Now I get why the director of the film posted on social media to see this on bluray if you wanted the full experience.

Talk about throwing away opportunities when it comes to digital content being limited compared to physical media. :facepalm:

On 10/14/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

I remember calling up the DC 1-900 Hotline for this to vote does Robin live or die?

That was a pretty good story and caused a lot of controversy, as well as a lot of PR in the comic book community. 

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

Looks like it contained one alternate page from the original Batman #428. So if it contains more, then that would be the unpublished content.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Annual_Vol_1_25

This issue contains the one-page alternate ending to "A Death in the Family" by Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo, chronicling Jason Todd's survival.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Looks like it contained one alternate page from the original Batman #428. So if it contains more, then that would be the unpublished content.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Annual_Vol_1_25

Huh.

It seems like all of the alternate unpublished art was featured in a "Deluxe Edition" trade of A Death in the Family a few years ago.

Word is the single page featured in Batman Annual 25 was the only one that was finished and colored - but there's a subsequent full page with unfinished pencils featuring Jason in a coma as Bruce talks to .

https://www.comicsbeat.com/batman-a-death-in-the-family-deluxe-edition-alternate-artwork-jason-todd-lives/

Honestly, I don't imagine they can do much with # 428, the way the story in that issue unfolds. As in, only the last page matters, unless they opted to add 3-6 more pages.

I'd be far more interested in an alternate version of # 429, if it exists.

That said, 429 blew me away as a kid on several counts:

• Superman's appearance
  • The twist that Joker now has diplomatic immunity
  • That both Ronald Reagan and the Ayatollah Khomeini cameo