Comic Art Con In NJ?
0

31 posts in this topic

205 posts
Posted (edited)

Wondering about the Comic Art Con in Hasbrouck, NJ on Sept. 8th. I’m following the event page on Facebook but it has very little actual information. Does anyone know what vendors will be there? My big thing is will there be dealers there who don’t have an online presence? I feel like it may not be worth my time to go all the way up there if it’s the same art available on the internet. Has anybody been in the past?

Edited by ZimmermanTelegram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488 posts

You will see a lot of the same stuff, but it won't all be the same. Different dealers have different levels of on-line presences. Anthony's, for example, places everything on line. Not all dealers do.  And of course, some things just look better in reality than on-line (or worse). You can, of course, talk to the dealers, too, and perhaps negotiate better in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87 posts
Posted (edited)

There are several collector/dealers that set up there in addition to the regular big name dealers. I would go just to look at the art if nothing else. You'll see about 1/3 more art than dealers post online and a the price range is nice.. some smaller budget friendly pieces are scattered in with the high dollar ones. I've seen coin flipping for art discounts (see Felix's Scott Dunbier's interview - it was the inspiration). And you get to meet so many of the hobby's personalities who are as excited about the art as you, what's not to love?!?. I've been wanting to go back the moment I left. 

Oh yeah.... there was about an hour left in the show when I was asking about a collector and someone said "he's set up selling art in the other room."

"THE OTHER ROOM... Where's that?!?" Sure enough there were about 8 more guys set up in a room around the corner from the main room!

Edited by gumbydarnit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,608 posts

aka the kid's table at Thanksgiving.  :sick:

I believe that room was closed down because no one wanted to set up in there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,084 posts
2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

aka the kid's table at Thanksgiving.  :sick:

I believe that room was closed down because no one wanted to set up in there.

 

It’s been a few shows since that happened. Don’t think it’s coming back either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,289 posts

Dealer list:

ComicLink, Hans Kosenkranius, Nathan Rose, Rich Donnelly, Dan Pottick, Jim Warden, Will Gabri-El, Brad Savage, Anthony Snyder, Albert Moy, Bechara Maalouf and Frank Giella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,145 posts

First time going... I have a few pieces I would not mind trading... is this the kind of place where you can bring some art to include in the negotiations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
750 posts
40 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

First time going... I have a few pieces I would not mind trading... is this the kind of place where you can bring some art to include in the negotiations?

Never been to this show but did go to the L.A. show last year. Generally, all dealers are open to trade for “quality” art. I can’t think of a better place than an original art show. My concern would be trades that favorably benefit the opposite party. 

I just did a trade with Anthony Snyder in person. I thought the trade was fair. He doesn’t accept independent stuff though. If really have to explain to him what you’re holding it’s probably a no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,145 posts
1 minute ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Never been to this show but did go to the L.A. show last year. Generally, all dealers are open to trade for “quality” art. I can’t think of a better place than an original art show. My concern would be trades that favorably benefit the opposite party. 

I just did a trade with Anthony Snyder in person. I thought the trade was fair. He doesn’t accept independent stuff though. If really have to explain to him what you’re holding it’s probably a no. 

Thanks for input! Anthony is local so I know what I am dealing with with him... just kind of wanted to know what was appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,194 posts
8 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

First time going... I have a few pieces I would not mind trading... is this the kind of place where you can bring some art to include in the negotiations?

Yes. A lot of collectors will bring a portfolio with them that has a few pieces of art in it. Either to show each other interesting pieces they have, sell themselves, or to include as trade towards something else. Keep in mind while you have a lot of dealers there they aren't the only people you can do business with. Many of the people in attendance will have interesting and impressive collections themselves and through networking with them might be able to find you something you want and are willing to deal for it that that the dealers didn't have. You might even run into someone that has been wanting something you have and can use it to get something nice in return either in trade or money. There's been a few deals made with people that otherwise wouldn't have happened if they didn't bring some art with them or talked with others. 

I haven't been to the last few shows but plan on going to this one even though I probably won't be buying anything. I'll still bring some art with me though that shows what my collecting focus is and try to make some contacts. Hopefully I'll meet some people who have something I would want that I otherwise wouldn't know about since a lot of collectors don't post what they have online and meeting in person is really the only way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228 posts

I'm one of the exhibitors at the show and can confirm that the second room is long gone. Believe me when I say it's better this way.

I will also say that trade is more than welcome at my table, as well as most others. That said, I only accept trade for something that I'd like to own personally. I'm more of a collector than a dealer. I'm sure the dealers feel the same way I do, although they'll make an exception if you're willing to part with your art at a discount! Keep that in mind when bringing out your trade bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,289 posts

Keep in mind most trade offers may be well below market value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
307 posts
Posted (edited)

When ever I've made a trade ,I try to choose something from the dealer that I already think is being offered at a good price (a bargain). That way if I give up a little too much on my end at least I feel I made up for it by getting a page that was under valued also. 

Edited by rrichards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488 posts

I'm a little surprised that actual artists don't go and take a table. They could probably make some good sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,405 posts
3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I'm a little surprised that actual artists don't go and take a table. They could probably make some good sales.

Just a guess but...I'm not sure they'd make any money.

1. It's a vintage draw show, any artist that still has vintage left knows how not to be picked (by dealers). That means: no deals for collectors and their art is competing with all the other vintage in the room. Unless it's a super special piece to a super special somebody: no sales. That might happen once or twice but not enough times to make it worth tossing a day away (that could otherwise be spent with friends/family or drawing that indy book that nobody is picking up. Yet.) Lose-lose for artists.

2. Sketching: not enough time to put a robust $$ list together. It's not a three day show. And, again, fresh sketches are competing with all the desirable vintage material (1/1 btw) in the room. Sketches you can get anytime, "that one special piece" that Albert has, it will wipe out your whole bankroll for the day, but at least you will leave with it instead of somebody else. Lose-lose for artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488 posts
7 hours ago, vodou said:

Just a guess but...I'm not sure they'd make any money.

1. It's a vintage draw show, any artist that still has vintage left knows how not to be picked (by dealers). That means: no deals for collectors and their art is competing with all the other vintage in the room. Unless it's a super special piece to a super special somebody: no sales. That might happen once or twice but not enough times to make it worth tossing a day away (that could otherwise be spent with friends/family or drawing that indy book that nobody is picking up. Yet.) Lose-lose for artists.

2. Sketching: not enough time to put a robust $$ list together. It's not a three day show. And, again, fresh sketches are competing with all the desirable vintage material (1/1 btw) in the room. Sketches you can get anytime, "that one special piece" that Albert has, it will wipe out your whole bankroll for the day, but at least you will leave with it instead of somebody else. Lose-lose for artists.

Sensible reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts

I've gone to this show a few times when it was in a Seacacus hotel and remember loving it. Hasbrouck Heights is a bit more of a hassle for me to get to (coming in from New York/Long Island and haven't been able to take the car, but that's on me...) so I haven't been to a many of the recent shows. But I do love Comic Art Con, and I'm sure it'll be a great time if you go. And if they ever do manage to move it back to Secaucus (or other closer-to-The-City place) I'm sure I'd be back in a heartbeat, 

And someone who's going--post pictures please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,145 posts
3 hours ago, TommyRaiko said:

I've gone to this show a few times when it was in a Seacacus hotel and remember loving it. Hasbrouck Heights is a bit more of a hassle for me to get to (coming in from New York/Long Island and haven't been able to take the car, but that's on me...) so I haven't been to a many of the recent shows. But I do love Comic Art Con, and I'm sure it'll be a great time if you go. And if they ever do manage to move it back to Secaucus (or other closer-to-The-City place) I'm sure I'd be back in a heartbeat, 

And someone who's going--post pictures please!

Hasbrouck Heights is literally 10 minutes further down the road then Secaucus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488 posts
29 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hasbrouck Heights is literally 10 minutes further down the road then Secaucus. 

It is right off of NJ Route 46 and Interstate Route 80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0