• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About Defects affecting grades

14 posts in this topic

I think a more specific question might get a more specific answer.

11 hours ago, revat said:

I was trying to determine which defect may be more or less influencing of the grading (I know both are) however one may be a lesser evil perhaps... thanks for the help and response anyway guys

7 minutes ago, Gonzalo J Di Paolo said:
11 hours ago, revat said:

I was trying to determine which defect may be more or less influencing of the grading (I know both are) however one may be a lesser evil perhaps... thanks for the help and response anyway guys

THere's a 'please grade my comic' subforum, you can post your comics there and ask for grades.

The reason i questioned your question is because you're asking which defect knocks the grade more but that assumes you're starting from the same point, and possibly the same price point to make a better decision for the money.  So even if tape lowered a grade by 1.5 in a 5.0 comic, it still might result better than tears in a 3.0 comic.  And it depends largely on the amount tears or tape as well.

not to rant on your post but recently I have been seeing a lot of new members coming in and trying to quantify a value to how much certain defects affect a comic. I am assuming many use this to say well a tape comic is a 1.0 down in grade and a tear is 0.5 so go with a tear or whatever example. 

One thing that I have learned the defect is also very subjective as to how much of a defect size, qty, etc.. and on the overall condition of the book as tape might not matter as much on a low grade book compared to a high grade or a tear on a 9.6 at the staples compared to a tear on a 3.0. 

what I would recommend is reading the Overstreet grading guide as he tries to quantify defects more but they are not the same as CGC standards but will give you the general idea of grading a book and how defects affect certain books at certain grade levels. 

CGC's stance on tape is that adding tape can never improve the grade. So the question becomes "why is the tape on the book? 

If the tape is sealing a tear, CGC will grade the book as though the tear is still there. If tape reattaches a cover or a piece of the book, CGC will grade the book as though the cover or piece is detached. If the tape doesn't "fix" something, then the tape itself is treated as defect and the grade is affected. 

Your question was which is better, tape or a tear.  If the tape on the first book is sealing a tear (and it probably is) to CGC when grading the book there is no difference. BOTH books have tears. 

Collectors generally dislike tape - and for good reason. Over time it will slowly damage the paper.  But personally the first book - the one with some tape - has much better eye appeal. Stronger color, little creasing and wear.  If they are about the same price I'd want the better looking book.  Even though it has a small amount of tape. 

Welcome to the boards. 

12 hours ago, Gonzalo J Di Paolo said:

thank you, I get it, I will certainly check it out. I mean no disrespect to the community though, I am a collector and a fan and just lately got into the good old silver age stuff... I appreciate all the advice

welcome to the boards... float around here there is a ton of information. (thumbsu

:tink: