• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #129 Miswrap Claptrap
1 1

78 posts in this topic

Hello :)

Not the usual type of thread from me - no pence element (hurray!)

What impact does this miswrap have on desirability do you think? If you were on the hunt for a first Punisher appearance, is this a book you would walk past and wait for a better centred copy of? Or would you happily have it in your collection?  

If it sat next to a 9.4WP perfectly centered copy, how big a price difference would compel you to dive in?

What sayeth thou?

Photobucket woz ere

As far as the price difference, I think there is a "slight" difference today (maybe 10% to 20% discount) for that CGC 9.4, but when comic book grading looks more like BGS (example above), that same comic will likely be 50% off (because it will be a lower "overall grade").  Notice the example sportscard has 9 and 9.5 subgrades, but the 6 pulls the overall grade down to a 7.  That's essentially like a 9.4 being pulled down to an 8.0/8.5 due to bad centering/wrap.

Edited by valiantman

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

As far as the price difference, I think there is a "slight" difference today (maybe 10% to 20% discount) for that CGC 9.4, but when comic book grading looks more like BGS (example above), that same comic will likely be 50% off (because it will be a lower "overall grade").  Notice the example sportscard has 9 and 9.5 subgrades, but the 6 pulls the overall grade down to a 7.  That's essentially like a 9.4 being pulled down to an 8.0/8.5 due to bad centering/wrap.

Thanks for responding VM. Do you think CGC will ever go down that road? There'd be chaos, surely...

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks for responding VM. Do you think CGC will ever go down that road? There'd be chaos, surely...

I think that train left the station.   We're nearly 20 years into certification.  For them to make that drastic a change would cause nothing but trouble.   

Just now, chrisco37 said:

I think that train left the station.   We're nearly 20 years into certification.  For them to make that drastic a change would cause nothing but trouble.   

Indeed. Imagine if a (competent) rival set up shop and started grading that way... :eek:

19 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:
21 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It might be a lot of trouble, but it would be an "upsell" of grading services that would likely be profitable for whomever put in the effort to do it (as long as they were a legit grading company).  For example, if "Overstreet Grading Services" suddenly existed and they provided multiple subgrades to justify their overall grade (and detailed explanation using their own grading rules), there would be quite a few books in existing slabs that would get "crossed over" to the new service.  Technically, CGC could just do this themselves as a "premium service" where they would continue to offer their same grading services with just one grade at the same current prices and then going "above and beyond" with specific subgrades would be an additional fee.   

Maybe it's just me, but that type of miswrap bugs me tons more than one where white from the back cover shows on the front.  I'm not a high grade guy in the first place, but if I was I could see passing on that one but going for one that was the same other than the miswrap going the other direction.

19 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Chaos is putting it mildly. They're already having serious trouble keeping up with submissions...

Resubs wouldn't be the "problem".  The backlash from the masses would be a PR nightmare.  Something that has always been a grading non-factor (mis-wraps, except in the most extreme HG) all of the sudden becomes a penalized defect.  

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Resubs wouldn't be the "problem".  The backlash from the masses would be a PR nightmare.  Something that has always been a grading non-factor (mis-wraps, except in the most extreme HG) all of the sudden becomes a penalized defect.  

It's funny though isn't it - place any perfectly centred book next to a miswrap of the same grade / page colour and, probably, 98% of collectors will go for the former. And yet both are graded the same. The miswrap is unintentional, so could be argued to be a flaw. How can a miswrap be 'as good' as a perfectly centred copy? Would you buy a car with a miswrapped door? No, because there's 'something wrong with it'. So why ignore the miswrap?

It's why we have CVA I suppose...

5 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Time for another sticker service? :nyah:  CCA (comics centering authority) or some such foolishness. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's why we have CVA I suppose...

Snap! lol

press it enough times and the miswrap will come around making it properly centered. This is sarcasm and is not to be taken seriously. I have no idea what kind of price difference a better wrapped one would bring. I would walk past this copy. If the price tag of comic is creeping around to the back of the book, it's gross.

Edited by NoMan

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

If the price tag of comic is creeping around to the back of the book, it's gross.

Rare 0c variant :)