• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you remember the 1st book you bought off Ebay?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

So...I started collecting with Wolverine and Batman the fall of 1989.

First Wolverine issue off the shelf was # 18, and it was the first series I collected back to # 1. My original copy of # 1 (that cost ~$9) is signed now signed and personalized to me by inker Al Williamson (although this was long before CGC existed).

So...it's not mint.

I was in college around 1997 when I started buying copies of Wolverine '88 # 1 for $11-$15 shipped (whereas they'd cost $20-$25 from comic book stores just a few years earlier). They're now long gone, but I think I accumulated 8 copies of that book my freshman year alone.

First "big" book was an "8.0" copy of Ghost Rider (1950) # 1 around 2003 during a ShowcaseNewEngland sale of about 30-40 copies at once -- warehouse find, but hard to grade because most looked solid NM from the front but had mad foxing on the back cover.

I paid $208 shipped for my "8.0." in ~2003.

Basically broke even, as I eventually got it CGC'd (a mere 5.5...sigh) and sold it for $285 in 2014.