• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was scrolling through the Comiclink auction results today...
3 3

123 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

You've truly mastered the art of trolling.

Sometimes I wonder how much of that it is.   I think a lot of the time his mouth is just going before his brain engages.  Stream of consciousness...., 

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
17 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

Flash forward a couple of years, and Heritage auctions has spent a few years flooding the market with Gaines file copies, totally tanking the pricing on them.  In 2006, I purchased my grail for $9500, just a bit over Jay's offer... I had gotten my second bite at the apple!! 

That's a FANTASTIC book. Did you consider upgrading to the 9.8 file copy that sold at Heritage in 2012 for a (relative) song? 

Thanks!  No I never thought about upgrading it... it's beautiful just the way it is!  But you're right that the Gaines prices (especially on keys of all things) were pretty depressed for quite a while when so many came to market in the mid-2000s.  I found it sad because they are the most magnificent comics.  They seem to be moving again with the recent price surges and rightfully so! 

Btw, with the money I didn't get to spend in 2000 on CoT#17, I soon bought a 9.8 Gaines TFTC #20 and an ungraded Gaines Crime Patrol #15.  I still remember when the CP#15 arrived... I just absorbed the smell of the paper and VERY CAREFULLY and slowly read the entire comic like a little kid again.  Probably my happiest purchase.  I later had it graded and it came out to a 9.4.  These EC keys are all part of my Keeper collection that I plan to leave to my kid.   

On 8/31/2019 at 7:49 PM, alexanderjk said:

I’m finally collecting again after a 20+ year hiatus. I’m now in my mid-40s, and while I have a teen son to single-handedly raise, I’m far enough along in my career that I can drop $50 on a high grade key to slab and flip, another $75 to add a raw low-numbered DD to my collection, another $100 to add a 9.8 of a childhood favorite to my collection, and another $1K on an investment purchase. (Achieved all four of those this past month alone.) 

And regarding the ridiculous prices of some of the aforementioned comics, it’s not unreasonable to think that these super-bidders are millionaire athletes, Silicon Valley execs, and lottery winners. There’s enough of each that collect comics, I’m guessing. Whomever dropped $90K on that book isn’t looking to flip it...they’re keen on adding it to their Rich Guy collection. With so much wealth around, the days of us upper middle class-types scoring a high grade GA, SA, or BA mega key are pretty much over. 

you know most of the wealth in all countries is usually only within 1% of the population. Wealth is not being distributed evenly. "The rich get richer the poor getting more poor". Just wanted to let that be known.. 

13 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

you know most of the wealth in all countries is usually only within 1% of the population. Wealth is not being distributed evenly. "The rich get richer the poor getting more poor". Just wanted to let that be known.. 

Wealth is created out of thin air...almost magically...by combining raw materials and one's talent, innovation, effort, and time to produce things that are worth more than those constituent parts.

If you don't like the way wealth has been "distributed", you can create your own simply by working hard and creating things of greater value than their parts. The rich get richer, and the poor get richer, too.

It's pretty amazing.

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Wealth is created out of thin air...almost magically...by combining raw materials and one's talent, innovation, effort, and time to produce things that are worth more than those constituent parts.

If you don't like the way wealth has been "distributed", you can create your own simply by working hard and creating things of greater value than their parts. The rich get richer, and the poor get richer, too.

It's pretty amazing.

o.O huh? I am guessing your being sarcastic? 

On 9/3/2019 at 10:15 AM, Krishosein said:

o.O huh? I am guessing your being sarcastic? 

RMA is absolutely correct. Take a look at China. They have embraced their version of Capitalism and, as a result, have created the largest middle class in history.  Almost none of the money used by the Chinese to fund this incredible middle class rise existed before the economic programs, including the Chinese stock market, were implemented. In the last 25 years, the Chinese people have empowered dozens of Bill Gates and, as a result, have been lifted up through trickle down economics. It's awesome and at a certain level, not politics but economics. :) 

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

RMA is absolutely correct. Take a look at China. They have embraced their version of Capitalism and, as a result, have created the largest middle class in history.  Almost none of the money used by the Chinese to fund this incredible middle class rise existed before the economic programs, including the Chinese stock market, were implemented. In the last 25 years, the Chinese people have empowered dozens of Bill Gates and, as a result, have been lifted up through trickle down economics. It's awesome and at a certain level, not politics but economics. :) 

what are you guys talking about. when I said the Rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer this was in reference to the 1% of the population that has most of the wealth that exist within a capitalist economy. There are many variables, debates and arguments that go both ways to support this statement that most of the wealth in Capitalist systems are designed to keep the wealth within the top 1% of the country. That discussion would require a essay and a ton of time I can see if I can dig up a former academic peer reviewed essay I used in University, if you want to read it. that outlines my statement within a capitalist system. 

20 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

what are you guys talking about. when I said the Rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer this was in reference to the 1% of the population that has most of the wealth that exist within a capitalist economy. There are many variables, debates and arguments that go both ways to support this statement that most of the wealth in Capitalist systems are designed to keep the wealth within the top 1% of the country. That discussion would require a essay and a ton of time I can see if I can dig up a former academic peer reviewed essay I used in University, if you want to read it. that outlines my statement within a capitalist system. 

Many of the people on this board are academics with MBAs. :hi:

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

what are you guys talking about. when I said the Rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer this was in reference to the 1% of the population that has most of the wealth that exist within a capitalist economy. 

The poor aren't getting poorer. The poor are getting richer, and often at a faster pace than the rich, wherever and to the extent that free markets exist. Who cares who has "most of the wealth"? Wealth is not a finite resource, that those who have more necessarily means others have less. There is no "pie." 

There are many variables, debates and arguments that go both ways to support this statement that most of the wealth in Capitalist systems are designed to keep the wealth within the top 1% of the country

This is a circular argument. How? "Capitalist systems are designed to keep the wealth within the top 1% of the country." "Who are the top 1%?" "The people with the most wealth." 

People move into, and out of, the "1%" all the time. Freedom is measured by the ease in which that is possible. No free market (that's the key) system can prevent someone from creating something that others are willing to trade the fruit of their labor (that is, compensation) for, and that creates wealth out of thin air.

Bill Gates didn't come from a billionaire family. Neither did Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Neither did Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard. And yet, they all created goods and services which made them fabulously wealthy, and propelled them into the ".01%"

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I'd say its more the smart are getting rich and the ultra smart are getting filthy rich.  Anyone can think up a revolutionary product and work their whole life to get it as big as it can go.  The unmotivated or the unimaginative are going to have a hard time with the advances we have seen over the last couple decades.

I'd really like to see a politician offer to pay for free financial advice and spending guidance sessions with people who make under $30k a year.  Long term free government money is never the answer but I'd love my tax money to be going to getting people educated on where their money is going and giving the uneducated a means to improve their situation.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'd really like to see a politician offer to pay for free financial advice and spending guidance sessions with people who make under $30k a year.  Long term free government money is never the answer but I'd love my tax money to be going to getting people educated on where their money is going and giving the uneducated a means to improve their situation.

More people having more wealth...wealth that they created...makes everyone and everything better. My neighbors succeeding helps me to succeed and vice versa; their success doesn't come at my cost.

but there exists a large gap in incomes and this disparity grows more and more every day through companies and the 1% removing jobs through automation, outsourcing, stagnant wages, younger people getting laid off before older workers because of sonority, etc.. 

there's also the issues of education that many people special low incomes can't afford proper education. 

Of course there will always be exceptions such a Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc.. but the majority falls into this disparity.