• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two - Face

31 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Here is Detective 80 The Return of Two Face, which is the third appearance of Two Face. Name was changed to avoid confusion with Clark Kent.

RCO003_1468989400.jpg

What year is that from? It almost appears that they really meant the end of him at the time. Seems he was finally revived in the early ‘50’s. There don’t seem to be that many appearances of him in the GA especially with all the Joker, Catwoman and Penguin appearances. 

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What year is that from? It almost appears that they really meant the end of him at the time. Seems he was finally revived in the early ‘50’s. There don’t seem to be that many appearances of him in the GA especially with all the Joker, Catwoman and Penguin appearances. 

I believe he had 3 appearances in the 40’s and 2 in the 50’s?

I seem to remember the reason he faded out for many years was DC wanted something more kid friendly in the Batman books. They brushed off Cat-woman as well but for different reasons.

I don’t think the character got to be that important of a villain until they began using him again regularly in the 70’s.

Edited by N e r V

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I believe he had 3 appearances in the 40’s and 2 in the 50’s?

I seem to remember the reason he faded out for many years was DC wanted something more kid friendly in the Batman books. They brushed off Cat-woman as well but for different reasons.

I don’t think the character got to be that important of a villain until they began using him again regularly in the 70’s.

I think 3 in the ‘50’s. Two Bats and one Tec (at least cover wise). He might have been in a couple other internal Bat stories I’m not aware of. Bat 50 is late ‘40’s I think. None the less, a very under rated character that would be great in a movie.

29 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Possible but I think it more likely a nod to the Greek god who was noted for his beauty.

The Apollo theatre although at one time was a “whites only” establishment was known for its African American crowd from Harlem during the Two Face creation period. It was a exciting period for the theatre for sure.

Yeah, @BitterOldManmentioned his middle name was for his beauty.  Not a DC guy so I didn't have any idea.

Thanks to both of you.

Edited by telerites

8 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

First appearance of Two Face was Tec 68.  Here is my copy hidden away in my safe. Purchased from Terry O.  for about $200.

03BAC90D-CF6C-404F-853A-E608EAA1D1C1.jpeg

When DC reprinted those stories in the 100 page Super Spectacular issue I was in hog heaven. I bought that book off the stands and read it over and over; what awesome stories!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

20 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

When DC reprinted those stories in the 100 page Super Spectacular issue I was in hog heaven. I bought that book off the stands and read it over and over; what awesome stories!

I did the same. Years after I'd unloaded my childhood collection, I bought it again for cover price at a comic shop in the early 90s, just to read the stories again. The Joker is a more colorful character, and the Catwoman sexier, but I've always dug Two-Face as the more complicated character of the three.

Two Face did not appear during the Silver Age, only in Worlds Finest 173, where Batman was Two Face.

I read on the web about Silver Age Batman Annual 3, where Two Face was redrawn to conform the the comics code.

Cover to Batman Annual 3 with redrawn Two Face

Batman_Annual_3.jpg.aa5944204ed9c96ffad007a2b0f15ea8.jpg

Original panel from Batman 68 New Crimes of Two Face with scarred face.

RCO041_1461944802.thumb.jpg.5cba24079e74057954b3934d55b477b1.jpg

The origin was also changed from acid in the face to explosion.

http://cbldf.org/2012/08/tales-from-the-code-how-much-did-things-change-after-the-enactment-of-the-comics-code-of-1954/