• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA 9.4 to 9.6 to 9.8... Observing a trend
3 3

134 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, N e r V said:

It looks like it had a piece out at the staple as a 4.0? If so, not sure how it got  away from conserved or restored labels.

I do think it looks pretty damn nice to begin with to be a legit 4.0 in general. 

Have you gone back to the previous page with the link provided by Masterchief for the post that was started by Borock to explain the situation with Boy Comics 17?  :gossip:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Have you gone back to the previous page with the link provided by Masterchief for the post that was started by Borock to explain the situation with Boy Comics 17?  :gossip:

I didn’t. Thank you.

13 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 4.0 0043270016 3 graders @ 4.0. Spine Wear, Possible Sub Crease, Edge Wear, 2 Centerfolds Detached.

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 7.5 0069391002 3 graders @ 8.0, 2 graders @7.5 Bend Mid-Front, Light Edge Wear, Light Stains Top of Cover, Light Finger print on Y, Cover Loose.

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 9.0 0721664004 3 graders @ 9.0, Slight Staple Tears, Shadow Top Back Cover

Wow.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

If I won it I would at the very least have it reholdered. The old labels may represent purity to you but to me they are a warning of the toxic pool of rotting plastic waiting to damage the book.

Interesting. I would usually dismiss such a comment if it came from someone else.

i have many old label GA books. A bunch are top census or were when I bought them. 

I love them as old label for obvious reasons including greater likelihood they have not been messed with. Moreover, given what the old label represents to me, an old label slabbed book is IMO aesthetically superior. 

But if these slabs are unequivocally and significantly damaging the books, I will seriously consider either freeing them or reholdering.

I’m sure I’m not the only one in this situation. 

5 hours ago, whomerjay said:
On 9/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

If I won it I would at the very least have it reholdered. The old labels may represent purity to you but to me they are a warning of the toxic pool of rotting plastic waiting to damage the book.

Interesting. I would usually dismiss such a comment if it came from someone else.

i have many old label GA books. A bunch are top census or were when I bought them. 

I love them as old label for obvious reasons including greater likelihood they have not been messed with. Moreover, given what the old label represents to me, an old label slabbed book is IMO aesthetically superior. 

But if these slabs are unequivocally and significantly damaging the books, I will seriously consider either freeing them or reholdering.

I’m sure I’m not the only one in this situation. 

Well, let's hope that Richard responds here, because I am actually not sure if he meant this seriously or if he said it as a joke which is the way that I took his comment, as evident from my follow-up response to his comment.  (shrug)

See if he got the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 13 reholdered since I know that it was originally graded way back in the early or middle part of 2000.  I believe Richard ended up buying that copy subsequent to the Manning auction and it might have already been reholdered at that point.  Can't remember since I know he has posted pictures of it a few times on the board here before.  hm

49 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I am actually pretty serious for a few reasons. The early label holders really didn't fit the books very well. We know about shaken slab stuff but the other problem is that the inner well, if not stored well, over time will harden and yellow - much like old comic bags. I have opened many where the inner well is brittle and ready to crack. I think this is due to exposure to heat. I imagine over time the new holders could do the same but I am not a chemist and don't know that much about the makeup of either. All I do know is that those old label books have now been in their holders for fifteen years or more with the inner well compositionally (a word?) breaking down. I just don't feel comfortable with my books being stored in that environment.

Sounds like I've got some reholdering to do. 

Why does that sound dirty?

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am actually pretty serious for a few reasons. The early label holders really didn't fit the books very well. We know about shaken slab stuff but the other problem is that the inner well, if not stored well, over time will harden and yellow - much like old comic bags. I have opened many where the inner well is brittle and ready to crack. I think this is due to exposure to heat. I imagine over time the new holders could do the same but I am not a chemist and don't know that much about the makeup of either. All I do know is that those old label books have now been in their holders for fifteen years or more with the inner well compositionally (a word?) breaking down. I just don't feel comfortable with my books being stored in that environment.

Thanks. Well, it would be nice to reholder and use the old label for the slab. Wonder if CGC would create this option?

15 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

Thanks. Well, it would be nice to reholder and use the old label for the slab. Wonder if CGC would create this option?

The label is designed to be damaged if you remove it so if they re-used it then you would have a slab that looked like it was faked in some way.

8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

You’re more than welcome to send all your books over to me where they can enjoy their life on the beach in sunny weather with volleyball and bikinis all day long. What better environment could you ask for?

92AB4923-2E61-48DF-82A8-C356215DE8E9.thumb.jpeg.05cc5e55bd6ba3f69f63d9de21f455a9.jpeg

Edited by N e r V