• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WARLOCK 1st appearance
1 1

21 posts in this topic

...or Marvel Premiere 1, or Strange Tales 178?

Warlock evolved over a looong time. I like FF 67, but it may depend on what phase of the character you’re most interested in.

Edited by KirbyJack

Well Thor 165 is 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock). 

So simply as the character that is designated as his 1st full.

If you read the books you would know that FF 67 is the 1st time he emerged from the cocoon and designated as his 1st cameo.

Him was not in FF 65 and 66 was only the cocoon.

Why would you even think it was 65 or 66???

Marvel Premier 1 is certainly not his 1st appearance.

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

It's the first issue in which the character is known as 'Adam Warlock'.

Again not the “characters” 1st appearance in any way and technically he was called Adam in MP1 and not Warlock until a later issue.

Trust me I have it and I’ve actually Read it.

Is 1st time Superman is called Kal-El the first Appearance of Superman? 

How about if he changed his name to Joe Shmoe? 

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

It's the first issue in which the character is known as 'Adam Warlock'.

Again not the “characters” 1st appearance in any way and technically he was called Adam in MP1 and not Warlock until a later issue.

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

The original poster asked about Adam Warlock by name.  Not a character who later became known as Warlock.  It's great that you read it, since it's a cool book with excellent Kane pencils, but you apparently neglected to look at the cover.  So he/she might be interested in Marvel Premiere #1 (titled 'The Power of Warlock' on the cover), and less in 'Him' first drawn free of cocoon and arguably in cameo in FF #67.  It's not clear from the original post or the thread title asking about Warlock, and so all this information may be useful.

Here's my unslabbed copy, which like you I also read:

MPremiere1.thumb.jpg.e7191553334b2e6398e0c467999a6f64.jpg

As an aside, I believe the name Kal-El/L dates to the Superman daily newspaper strip in January, 1939.  The book you linked was published later.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160306164334/http://www.thespeedingbullet.com/daily/ep01_15/ep1.html

Edited by namisgr

On 9/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, namisgr said:

The original poster asked about Adam Warlock by name.  Not a character who later became known as Warlock.  It's great that you read it, since it's a cool book with excellent Kane pencils, but you apparently neglected to look at the cover.  So he/she might be interested in Marvel Premiere #1 (titled 'The Power of Warlock' on the cover), and less in 'Him' first drawn free of cocoon and arguably in cameo in FF #67.  It's not clear from the original post or the thread title asking about Warlock, and so all this information may be useful.

Here's my unslabbed copy, which like you I also read:

MPremiere1.thumb.jpg.e7191553334b2e6398e0c467999a6f64.jpg

As an aside, I believe the name Kal-El/L dates to the Superman daily newspaper strip in January, 1939.  The book you linked was published later.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160306164334/http://www.thespeedingbullet.com/daily/ep01_15/ep1.html

You are correct about Kal-el in comic strip and this is first mention of name “in publication” that is. 

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I’m friendly debating with people that haven’t read the books nor know what year or era they are.

You may also be friendly debating with folks who have read the books and know the year and era, since they picked them up off the stands as they came out. 
Just sayin'  :smile:

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

You may also be friendly debating with folks who have read the books and know the year and era, since they picked them up off the stands as they came out. 
Just sayin'  :smile:

Yes I’m sure there’s some old timers on here that know there stuff and I do learn from you guys as well.

I'm kind of amazed at how much heat all of these books can sustain.  I just sold a nice MP 1 and an low-grade FF 67 at MCS and was really happy with the money I got compared to what they cost me 7-8 years ago ( which was almost nothing ).

I have another similar copy of the FF 67 in my FF run that I feel like I have to hang onto.  Likewise, I have a mid-grade copy of Thor 165 in my Thor run that I got for almost nothing along with the FF67.  They were 5 bucks each when I bought them.  I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around them being $100+ books in VG-FN grades.  

The only MP 1 I have left is an ugly copy that is only good for a reader.  I'm going to end up with the "trashed Marvel keys" collection if this keeps up.  I sold a decent Astonishing Tales 25 and kept the copy that had been ripped in half through 90% of the comic and then carefully taped back together.  I'm attached to that copy now, since bought it for 50 cents back around 1989 when the book first got hot.  Whoever did the taping was incredibly meticulous.  It actually is an okay reader.

FF66 - origin of HIM

FF67 - first brief appearance of HIM

Thor165 - First full appearance of HIM (who is named Adam Warlock in MP1)

MP1 - origin of Adam Warlock, first appearance of Warlock <= WINNER 

Ref https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Warlock

I have all four but would think thor165 would be the one to get first, then FF48, followed by MP1.. this is based on value *shrug*.

Edited by Asbestos

As far as MP being “origin of Warlock”

Ummmmm...no his origin was told in FF and in Thor.

MP can be credited for expansion of the character as well as a “re-name” but really he had no name before.

Not a first appearance and not a 1st origin either. Sorry not sorry.

1CB332E3-8797-4F9A-BC68-E0318F101A23.jpeg

84462928-022B-4FCA-8F13-780BA0C73490.jpeg