Melted side to slab?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

1 post

This is my first slabbed comic and I noticed about a 2" section along the side seam that looks sunken in and melted almost. The seam is tight with no gap. It's one of the new slabs, I believe, or at least it has the newer label.

Is this normal?

665126884_CGCcomicslab.thumb.jpg.1ab1c7a771a38acb85162fe800ea22c7.jpg

Edited by TwistedBishop

2 posts

I have the same thing going on with a slab I bought on eBay.  It's for a thicker book ASM 365.  The thing that makes me suspicious though is that I found what looks like pet hair inside the case.  

The certification number checks out though.

IMG_20191020_153318.jpg?width=451&height=601

IMG_20191020_153405.jpg?width=451&height=601T

2 posts

Did you guys ever determine if this is normal?  I just bought a slab on eBay.  When I look it up on the registry it says it was graded 4/23/20.  It has this same 2 inch weld on one side.

4,124 posts
On 5/22/2020 at 2:58 PM, DiPlo75 said:

Did you guys ever determine if this is normal?  I just bought a slab on eBay.  When I look it up on the registry it says it was graded 4/23/20.  It has this same 2 inch weld on one side.

I just checked one of my books with the new holder design, and it has the same anomaly. It appears to only be on the left hand side of the holder and it also appears to extend outward a bit. So it appears to be a normal part of the encapsulation process, and there's no way my book been tampered with---it came to me directly from CGC.

I hope this helps...   :foryou: 

405 posts

:ohnoez:

All the new slabs have it, part of the production process.

Likely where the hot steaming plastic is injected into the mold.