• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay purchase: Would you force a return?

77 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Considering your offer to be my personal alarm clock I am okay without you knowing any of my mailing addresses lol 

you realize I can find them rather easily tho.

Just now, kav said:

you realize I can find them rather easily tho.

Take a breath and think whether that is information you REALLY want or need to know. lol 

And of course the seller has a "100% positive feedback" on Ebay. Further validating my opinion that that means practically nothing. Learned that the hard way. Also, and this will probably off the majority of the people here, but I will not buy from anyone who ships comics USPS media mail. Barely containing myself from going off on a major rant on that subject.

Wait. Wait. Hold up. Let me be clear here. You bought a book off eBay. The seller then proceeded to rip out a few pages from said before sending it to you (but post-purchase), sold those, then after you received it, claimed that YOU damaged said book and took those pages, despite the listings for those very pages, clear as day? 

I mean, I know people are stupid. I really do. But wow, we have a contender here. Someone start a gofundme to get this fine specimen neutered, please! 

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I mean, I know people are stupid. I really do. But wow, we have a contender here. Someone start a gofundme to get this fine specimen neutered, please! 

Sigh. Yea, forcing me to again state, "And of course the seller has a "100% positive feedback" on Ebay. Further validating my opinion that that means practically nothing"

to be honest with sellers not having a return policy I am usually a bit cautious around that as I tend to think they are up to no good and in this case this seller was up to no good ripping pages out and listing them on Ebay after, etc... I understand the no return on CGC books as you generally know what your getting 99% of the time so I am ok with that but if they have a no return policy on Raw books then that's a big no no to me. I can take a chance on a slabbed book but raw with no return. No thanks.

Edited by Krishosein

Yeaaaaah.... still not offering a return policy on eBay.  The good about it outweighs the bad and has cut down on nonsense. 

When I offered returns I had things come back for some of the following reasons:

• Someone's spouse was going to kill them for making such a purchase.
  • They really couldn't afford it.
  • Something better came up.
  • Opened the sealed item, played with it, decided they didn't like it. 

All of those reasons are in some variation of buyer's remorse and that is NOT covered as a valid return unless you offer unconditional returns.   By offering no returns if someone reveals the reason as anything that resembles buyer's remorse, eBay shuts it down.  Supposedly buyer's remorse is frowned upon in the sales threads.  If someone throws a :takeit: sign in the gold section they commit themselves to a deal.  If they reneg because they found a better deal elsewhere this board has been known to go bananas.  If someone is caught buying a book and then unsuccessfully tries to flip it and then seeks a return <cough red rocks couch couch> the board goes bananas.   As far as I am concerned I am being consistent and enforcing similar policies.   

Of course if there is a defect I take something back or if there is something I missed then I take it back.  If the post office smashed a package, I may not like it but that falls on me.  I take it back and make the buyer whole paying shipping both ways.  However, I refuse to facilitate or encourage let alone enable bad behavior.  Some have said that they would not shop with a seller that does not offer returns.  Others are and are repeat customers.  The guy that keeps buying my used flip flops is a long standing customer lol as are a few guys that have bought multiple books.   Sales are fine and I am pleased so I have no reason nor need to change that policy as a brand new bathroom is almost paid for. 

8 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Wait. Wait. Hold up. Let me be clear here. You bought a book off eBay. The seller then proceeded to rip out a few pages from said before sending it to you (but post-purchase), sold those, then after you received it, claimed that YOU damaged said book and took those pages, despite the listings for those very pages, clear as day?

That is correct lol. If you can force yourself to read the illiterate scrawl he posted trying to appeal the ruling, you'll see he claims the pages were present when he shipped it to me, and what he sold was another set of pages he had. He also shows a photocopy of the pages he made. But like with the rest of the book, he doesn't understand that there are unique markings on the pages that make it easy to tell that the pages he had in his first auction, the pages he later sold, the photocopy he made, and even the new auction for the pages he sold (by the buyer) all have the same markings because they're all the same pages.

It looks like he sold the mangled scraps last night for $100. It's kind of a shame, because it was originally a fairly complete book (it was missing a total of 20 pages out of 68, but it had two complete Cap stories, the text story, and a complete Tuk story.) In the end, he might get $300 total for the whole mess. The buyer who bought the text pages relisted it for starting bid $200, BIN $400.

7 hours ago, WPPJames said:

Sigh. Yea, forcing me to again state, "And of course the seller has a "100% positive feedback" on Ebay. Further validating my opinion that that means practically nothing"

It's not for lack of trying. I left him negative feedback, but he got Ebay to remove it. My feedback just said 'seller removed pages and later sold them separately', but it was positioned nicely right above the positive feedback for the text page sale.

I'm kind of surprised anyone would buy from this lunatic in the first place, and that none of you have mentioned this from his listing right up front;

Please note: I will not ship to France or NEW YORK, and you must be of age 18 and over not underage 15 to purchase. As I have encountered one person who was under age 15 based from New York that has turned out to be a total nightmare and wired with another person’s eBay account. So no bidder under age is allowed to purchase or bid on any of my listings. Adults only, age 18 on up!...No exceptions! This listing cost me time and money as I take this business seriously.

Okay you don't ship to France or New York and you must be over 18 but not under 15 to purchase.    If a homeless hobo muttering to themselves had an incomplete Captain America #4 would you enter into a deal with them and expect it to go well?   This guy has nut written all over him.

I'm glad it worked out for you, as much as I despise some of eBay's policies as a seller, it's good that they have the buyer's back in cases like this.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeaaaaah.... still not offering a return policy on eBay.  The good about it outweighs the bad and has cut down on nonsense. 

When I offered returns I had things come back for some of the following reasons:

• Someone's spouse was going to kill them for making such a purchase.
  • They really couldn't afford it.
  • Something better came up.
  • Opened the sealed item, played with it, decided they didn't like it. 

All of those reasons are in some variation of buyer's remorse and that is NOT covered as a valid return unless you offer unconditional returns.   By offering no returns if someone reveals the reason as anything that resembles buyer's remorse, eBay shuts it down.  Supposedly buyer's remorse is frowned upon in the sales threads.  If someone throws a :takeit: sign in the gold section they commit themselves to a deal.  If they reneg because they found a better deal elsewhere this board has been known to go bananas.  If someone is caught buying a book and then unsuccessfully tries to flip it and then seeks a return <cough red rocks couch couch> the board goes bananas.   As far as I am concerned I am being consistent and enforcing similar policies.   

Of course if there is a defect I take something back or if there is something I missed then I take it back.  If the post office smashed a package, I may not like it but that falls on me.  I take it back and make the buyer whole paying shipping both ways.  However, I refuse to facilitate or encourage let alone enable bad behavior.  Some have said that they would not shop with a seller that does not offer returns.  Others are and are repeat customers.  The guy that keeps buying my used flip flops is a long standing customer lol as are a few guys that have bought multiple books.   Sales are fine and I am pleased so I have no reason nor need to change that policy as a brand new bathroom is almost paid for. 

My customer service is better than your customer service (shrug)

19 hours ago, fmaz said:

Also, an eBay seller can say they don’t accept returns all they want. They can also tell you they prefer cake to pie.  Neither statement has any impact as to whether or not eBay will allow you to return something that is defective or was misrepresented by photos.  

FYI... the latter statement, however, does make you a gosh darn liar. No one in their right mind prefers cake to pie. 

Did you really just say that pie is better than cake? :whatthe::screwy:

24 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Did you really just say that pie is better than cake? :whatthe::screwy:

I'm pretty sure that is the exact quote that begin the Franco-Prussian War.  Or the Spanish American War.   Or maybe Cake Wars on the Food Network.  Either way, yeah I said it, because it's the stone-cold truth!

Here's a pretty decent list I pulled up. There are thousands more such reasons, of course (such as... would you rather eat a fruit pie or a fruit cake?)

1. Pie is 3 letters, cake is 4. There is power in concision.

2. Pie can pull off savory. Cake cannot.And no, that Pinterest thing where you make little meatloaves in a muffin tin and call it "meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting lol" doesn't count. That's weird, and you're better than that. Get yourself an empanada.

3. Crust on pie is buttery and amazing. Crust on cake is gross.

4. Speaking of gross, frosting--it generally sucks.

5. Ice cream on top of cake makes you sugar-dizzy and nauseated. Ice cream on top of pie makes you wanna hug a stranger. #foodscience

6. Posers can bake a passable cake from a box. Posers can't bake a passable pie. Pie is the "no posers allowed" zone of desserts. Pie keeps it real. Pie is fly; cake is fake.

7. Pie is dynamic. Cake is not nearly as dynamic.You can can have flaky crusts or crumbly crumb crusts. You can have gooey fruit fillings or silky cream fillings or rich, dense custard fillings. You can have bright fresh berry toppings, or fluffy whipped toppings, or salty-sweet crumb toppings, or combinations of all the toppings! The possibilities for exploration and experimentation in pie are inspiring and wonderful. Example: I once made a lavender rice pudding pie topped with berries that legitimately changed my world for the better. I've never had a cake change my world for the better.

8. Nine out of ten cakes you ever eat will be too dry.I can't really imagine a scenario where your pie would be dry. You would have to try really hard to make a dry pie... unless you're a poser [see # 6 above].

9. Chocolate cake doesn't really taste like chocolate. Chocolate pie tastes the most like chocolate.

10. Miniature pies (i.e. hand pies) are awesome. Miniature cakes (i.e. cupcakes) are annoying and were developed as an excuse for psychos to coerce consumers into believing mo' frosting is mo' better. Don't drink the water--mo' frosting IS NOT mo' better.

11. Don't care how many layers are there, cake is shallow. It's all about show-- stacking tall, frosting spackled tight and smooth along its curves, glazes dripping hungrily for anyone who'll look. That's right, that cake--pretty as it is--is more hungry for you than you are for it. Pie, on the other hand, isn't hustling for anyone's approval. It can be kind of messy--imperfect edges, sometimes spills over a little, bubbly, juicy, doesn't always cut clean. Sure, pie can also be graceful, elegant, and beautiful... but pie is never concerned with the attention of those who are are memorized by the noise of those seeking attention (*cough* cake). We could all take a note from pie's wisdom and confidence.

12. You feed cake to children because: A.) it won't choke them and B.) because their palates aren't developed, and all they know is sugar=good. You feed pie to adults because they can chew their food properly and [hopefully] appreciate flavor.

13. Pot pie is awesome. Pot cake... sounds like a misdemeanor.

14. You eat pie because you want a real dessert (or breakfast/lunch/dinner). You eat cake because it happens to be there.

9 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I'm pretty sure that is the exact quote that begin the Franco-Prussian War.  Or the Spanish American War.   Or maybe Cake Wars on the Food Network.  Either way, yeah I said it, because it's the stone-cold truth!

Here's a pretty decent list I pulled up. There are thousands more such reasons, of course (such as... would you rather eat a fruit pie or a fruit cake?)

1. Pie is 3 letters, cake is 4. There is power in concision.

2. Pie can pull off savory. Cake cannot.And no, that Pinterest thing where you make little meatloaves in a muffin tin and call it "meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting lol" doesn't count. That's weird, and you're better than that. Get yourself an empanada.

3. Crust on pie is buttery and amazing. Crust on cake is gross.

4. Speaking of gross, frosting--it generally sucks.

5. Ice cream on top of cake makes you sugar-dizzy and nauseated. Ice cream on top of pie makes you wanna hug a stranger. #foodscience

6. Posers can bake a passable cake from a box. Posers can't bake a passable pie. Pie is the "no posers allowed" zone of desserts. Pie keeps it real. Pie is fly; cake is fake.

7. Pie is dynamic. Cake is not nearly as dynamic.You can can have flaky crusts or crumbly crumb crusts. You can have gooey fruit fillings or silky cream fillings or rich, dense custard fillings. You can have bright fresh berry toppings, or fluffy whipped toppings, or salty-sweet crumb toppings, or combinations of all the toppings! The possibilities for exploration and experimentation in pie are inspiring and wonderful. Example: I once made a lavender rice pudding pie topped with berries that legitimately changed my world for the better. I've never had a cake change my world for the better.

8. Nine out of ten cakes you ever eat will be too dry.I can't really imagine a scenario where your pie would be dry. You would have to try really hard to make a dry pie... unless you're a poser [see # 6 above].

9. Chocolate cake doesn't really taste like chocolate. Chocolate pie tastes the most like chocolate.

10. Miniature pies (i.e. hand pies) are awesome. Miniature cakes (i.e. cupcakes) are annoying and were developed as an excuse for psychos to coerce consumers into believing mo' frosting is mo' better. Don't drink the water--mo' frosting IS NOT mo' better.

11. Don't care how many layers are there, cake is shallow. It's all about show-- stacking tall, frosting spackled tight and smooth along its curves, glazes dripping hungrily for anyone who'll look. That's right, that cake--pretty as it is--is more hungry for you than you are for it. Pie, on the other hand, isn't hustling for anyone's approval. It can be kind of messy--imperfect edges, sometimes spills over a little, bubbly, juicy, doesn't always cut clean. Sure, pie can also be graceful, elegant, and beautiful... but pie is never concerned with the attention of those who are are memorized by the noise of those seeking attention (*cough* cake). We could all take a note from pie's wisdom and confidence.

12. You feed cake to children because: A.) it won't choke them and B.) because their palates aren't developed, and all they know is sugar=good. You feed pie to adults because they can chew their food properly and [hopefully] appreciate flavor.

13. Pot pie is awesome. Pot cake... sounds like a misdemeanor.

14. You eat pie because you want a real dessert (or breakfast/lunch/dinner). You eat cake because it happens to be there.

I would heartily agree on all counts except for the german chocolate cake this local place makes:

RIC_0001.jpg

55 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

My customer service is better than your customer service (shrug)

Can’t really say... shifting to concise listings with multiple and vivid pictures combined with a no return policy along with the Global Shipping Program has generated satisfying sales along with happy customers. 

To the person that wants to return things because they don’t like it or decided that they couldn’t flip it or could get it cheaper elsewhere.. 

well just like on the board where we say we wouldn’t do business with someone like that... I am happy not to do business with. Red Rocks type person on eBay(shrug)

its a difference of perspective as far as I’m concerned.  It continues to work...