The Official Image Newsstand Thread
4 4

143 posts in this topic

6,044 posts

I mentioned a 2000+ newsstand collection I bought yesterday (over in my other thread). Still going through all of it. But I can’t imagine there’s too many Bodycount #1 floating around.

B1D7D53A-425E-4042-B890-85D197DD08A8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,044 posts

Finished publisher triage on that collection. Here’s all the Image newsstands. Lot of glare in that second pic. But the upper left is a couple Witchblade 7s and some vol 2 Youngbloods.

A02F0B4E-C300-43DB-AD22-6636CB07E8CE.jpeg

5D23672D-F4BE-4472-90DD-982CF9E090D7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post
On 10/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, Corona smith said:

Witchblade #10, Any Spawn, Angela & Violator minis. All can go for good money in high grade. I’d be interested in seeing any possible later StormWatch written by Ellis as well. Or Authority but that’s a different publisher.  Idk if they even exist. Although RMA May have posted the last issue found in this thread. 

I have stormwatch #1 newsstand but not sure how far the series went 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
246 posts
8 hours ago, Nick Short said:

I have stormwatch #1 newsstand but not sure how far the series went 

There were a few series and this is one of those titles that started at Image and ended up at DC. So it likely went from being available at newsstands, not available and back on newsstands when it went to DC. Here’s a link though you may have to sign up for a free account to view results. They’re also in the process of adding newsstands to the guide. 

 

https://comicspriceguide.com/Search

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365 posts
On 10/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

My newsstand SS 9.6 does not say newsstand, because CGC wouldn't recognize it at the time. When was yours graded?

My example was graded on 1/25/2018.

20200215_194350.jpg

20200215_194418.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,185 posts
On 2/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, lighthouse said:

Finished publisher triage on that collection. Here’s all the Image newsstands. Lot of glare in that second pic. But the upper left is a couple Witchblade 7s and some vol 2 Youngbloods.

A02F0B4E-C300-43DB-AD22-6636CB07E8CE.jpeg

5D23672D-F4BE-4472-90DD-982CF9E090D7.jpeg

This was the newsstand collection bought from a store owner? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,118 posts
On 2/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, lighthouse said:

Finished publisher triage on that collection. Here’s all the Image newsstands. Lot of glare in that second pic. But the upper left is a couple Witchblade 7s and some vol 2 Youngbloods.

A02F0B4E-C300-43DB-AD22-6636CB07E8CE.jpeg

5D23672D-F4BE-4472-90DD-982CF9E090D7.jpeg

Do u have bone 1 newsstand?  I have 2 copies of it ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,044 posts
22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

This was the newsstand collection bought from a store owner? 

 

Correct. From a gentleman who owned a newsstand in New Jersey in the 90s and put away 1800-2000 comics over roughly a 2-year period. Mostly Marvel and DC. This is all the Image in the collection. There were less than a dozen Valiants, around 50 Topps, around 75 Dark Horse, around 20 Tekno, and the rest Marvel and DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,044 posts
22 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Do u have bone 1 newsstand?  I have 2 copies of it ...

All the Image newsstands from that collection are in the pics. We purchased another 1500-book newsstand collection over a year ago, one with several of the $1.99/$2.29 price variants. And we get a smattering of random newsstand stuff coming in the roughly 40 comic collections we buy each month. But this one and the one with the price variants are the only two with more than say 40 of them at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100 posts
2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

If the price is right I never pass up this book. 

 

30412E4C-B6BD-444A-9B8A-A71AE78263B9.jpeg

love this book. hope mine comes back 9.6+ with the correct newsstand designation on account of being a price variant (1.95 vs 2.50 direct)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
246 posts
3 hours ago, devald said:

love this book. hope mine comes back 9.6+ with the correct newsstand designation on account of being a price variant (1.95 vs 2.50 direct)

As far as I know the inside paper is different as well. It’s the cheaper more newsprint type of paper instead of the heavier glossier stuff that the directs had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100 posts
52 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

As far as I know the inside paper is different as well. It’s the cheaper more newsprint type of paper instead of the heavier glossier stuff that the directs had. 

that's correct. another distinction warranting the notation on the label

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,118 posts
On 2/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, First Upgrade said:

Just back from Sarasota...

20200227_141243.jpg

congrats!  the only #1 Image newsstand I dont own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,635 posts
On 2/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, devald said:

that's correct. another distinction warranting the notation on the label

It's already a distinct edition, regardless of the quantity/quality of differences. CGC's separation criteria is completely arbitrary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 posts

Has there been any evidence of Midnight Nation newsies? I know that the previous Joe's Comics book, Rising Stars, got dual distribution for at least some (and I suspect all) issues. Midnight was in 2000+, though, at what was already the tail end of Image's newsstand distribution program. But, at a minimum, newsies of Witchblade and Spawn were still going for several more years, so there's a possibility. 

I haven't seen any. But I'd sure like to know if they're out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
72 posts

Greetings all,
I have been slowly accumulating copper and modern newsstand editions, mostly from the dollar bins, including some Image books. Most are fairly easy to find, and I appreciate this site as a source of information. As per some earlier thread discussion, I was under the impression that there were no Youngblood newsstand editions but last week I found two at a used book store (volume 2, numbers 2 and 5). I have included a picture of #2 below and would be interested to know if anyone else has had any luck finding the other issues...

Dan

507904266_youngblood2.thumb.jpg.48bbafa922abd5516f02fb2249380a3a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 posts
6 hours ago, dm226 said:

Greetings all,
I have been slowly accumulating copper and modern newsstand editions, mostly from the dollar bins, including some Image books. Most are fairly easy to find, and I appreciate this site as a source of information. As per some earlier thread discussion, I was under the impression that there were no Youngblood newsstand editions but last week I found two at a used book store (volume 2, numbers 2 and 5). I have included a picture of #2 below and would be interested to know if anyone else has had any luck finding the other issues...

Dan

507904266_youngblood2.thumb.jpg.48bbafa922abd5516f02fb2249380a3a.jpg

For the 1995 (volume 2) series, I can confirm #1,#2, and #5 exist with newsstand versions. I'm not aware of any of the other issues as newsies. In particular, I really don't expect #4 in newsstand, since some combination of the polybag/unbagged split probably was used in that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,044 posts
On 3/13/2020 at 3:27 PM, Qalyar said:

For the 1995 (volume 2) series, I can confirm #1,#2, and #5 exist with newsstand versions. I'm not aware of any of the other issues as newsies. In particular, I really don't expect #4 in newsstand, since some combination of the polybag/unbagged split probably was used in that way.

#3 definitely exists. It's the default image on MCS website. And I am nearly positive it's pictured (behind heavy glare) in that pic I posted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4