• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover trimmed or miscut?

12 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:41 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I compared it to the same ad on other back covers and the space from the top of the guy's head to the top edge of the cover is the same. 

It's the top of the back cover that's trimmed, not the front. And most definitely. I have no doubt that CGC made the right call on this book. The large, high resolution scan was perfect for revealing enough detail of that top back cover to determine that.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Looks miscut to me.Hope things work out.

Be nice if they reversed themselves, but there are not machine mechanism cut characteristics present on that back cover top edge. A scan is typically inconclusive, but this scan was large and offered a clear enough view of that entire back cover top edge. Whether miscut or not, that is, cut too short or cut offset, the edge not being indicative traits of a production cut transcends the points of where the cut occurs, and based on the image, I can fully understand CGC's call. I'd be very surprised if they reverse their decision, though I am hoping for the best on it for you if you send it back for another look. :wishluck:

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Be nice if they reversed themselves, but there are not machine mechanism cut characteristics present on that back cover top edge. A scan is typically inconclusive, but this scan was large and offered a clear enough view of that entire back cover top edge. Whether miscut or not, that is, cut too short or cut offset, the edge not being indicative traits of a production cut transcends the points of where the cut occurs, and based on the image, I can fully understand CGC's call. I'd be very surprised if they reverse their decision, though I am hoping for the best on it for you if you send it back for another look. :wishluck:

I agree. The way the top is "fanned" but the bottom is not indicates a problem, they should correspond..

Note, you can't ever compare to other books on wrap, sizing, etc. There was too much variation in the the manufacturing process. This book has a pretty serious miscut, but that has nothing to do with whether it is trimmed or not.

Interesting Harlan Ellison provenance btw. 

8 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

I agree. The way the top is "fanned" but the bottom is not indicates a problem, they should correspond..

Note, you can't ever compare to other books on wrap, sizing, etc. There was too much variation in the the manufacturing process. This book has a pretty serious miscut, but that has nothing to do with whether it is trimmed or not.

Interesting Harlan Ellison provenance btw. 

I believe that Harlan owned a comic shop and did both appear at conventions, and buy books for his vast collection. That would indicate the possibility of not all of his books being collected solely off the stands, thus the potential for restoration or trim on some may exist.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I believe that Harlan owned a comic shop and did both appear at conventions, and buy books for his vast collection. That would indicate the possibility of not all of his books being collected solely off the stands, thus the potential for restoration or trim on some may exist.

I don't believe he ever owned a comic shop. But he did often attend conventions on trade (basically getting paid in comics). A lot of what he bought came from Earth 2 in Sherman Oaks, which was his local comic shop for decades. He was close to Judd Meyers who was a part-owner at Earth 2 and later opened Blastoff Comics. 

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I don't believe he ever owned a comic shop. But he did often attend conventions on trade (basically getting paid in comics). A lot of what he bought came from Earth 2 in Sherman Oaks, which was his local comic shop for decades. He was close to Judd Meyers who was a part-owner at Earth 2 and later opened Blastoff Comics. 

That's the one I meant. I didn't remember the name. I thought he owned it. I remember reading something to that effect.