• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thorr/Thor connection
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Just spotted this issue of Tales to Astonish today and was "astonished" to see a cool Thor connection. The stone monster is virtually the same as the ones in Journey into Mystery 83 and in a cool reversal, the monster is called Thorr! I know there are other examples out there of ideas tried out in one comic and then adapted and used in a more successful book - feel free to post examples :-)

RAD7F3A72019104_172650.jpeg

RAD509012019122_18500.jpg

Edited by Cushing Fan

17 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Just spotted this issue of Tales to Astonish today and was "astonished" to see a cool Thor connection. The stone monster is virtually the same as the ones in Journey into Mystery 83 and in a cool reversal, the monster is called Thorr! I know there are other examples out there of ideas tried out in one comic and then adapted and used in a more successful book - feel free to post examples :-)

RAD7F3A72019104_172650.jpeg

RAD509012019122_18500.jpg

And lo and behold, here are the same creatures, drawn almost identically, by Kirby, for House of Mystery #85 in 1959

HOM85.png

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

And lo and behold, here are the same creatures, drawn almost identically, by Kirby, for House of Mystery #85 in 1959

HOM85.png

Kirby stole that idea from Thor #318!!!

Thor318.jpg.99ea09763d6ebadf3b149a94b2844416.jpg

10 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

If I remember correctly, Overstreet mentions this as "Thor appearance". I must check.batman1272.0.jpg

Definitively demonstrates Kirby swiped costume elements from Curt Swan, also the fact of throwing a hammer.

11 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

If I remember correctly, Overstreet mentions this as "Thor appearance". I must check.batman1272.0.jpg

Featuring "The hammer of Thor"......and the "Cute strappy dress of Thorina".

2 hours ago, justafan said:

That hammers got nothin on mjolnir.

Well it was just a cameo appearance-

13 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

Some foe twists his helmet around and he cant see jack ****

3 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Featuring "The hammer of Thor"......and the "Cute strappy dress of Thorina".

And who else do we know of, beloved by all on this forum, that rocks a similarly orchid-hued zoot-suit and matching fedora? (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson