• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$10,000 budget. GA Grail Page or Full Book?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Just speaking in concepts here. If you’re willing to purchase a single page, logically, you’d be OK with married books. If you’re OK with married books, you should be ok with restored.

Restored, married, or married and restored would open up a pretty big section of “significant” GA books, IMO. You might have to be patient, but I think you’ll find some really neat books worth owning for 10K if you look for restored and/or married copies.

FWIW, I’d also go full book over page.

I have never understood why anyone would even want a page from a comic book. (I've also never cared  about first appearances for that matter.) I would definitely go after a full book.

I would be cautious about treating any comic book as an investment. Trends can change; books that are hot now can cool off. The last catalog I recevied from Heritage seemed like it had more original art and vintage video games than it did comic books (if that tells you anything).

Pretty much everyone has said get  a FULL BOOK, so I am in the minority. However, if you have a chance to get a nice BATMAN CGC quality page from tec  27 on your budget GRAB it ASAP & run! Pretty much all of the other books you buy will be there down the road & if you do some research they generally have a built in appreciation or in some cases depreciation projection that can be predetermined  (not counting on market fluctuation on HOT characters ( ie the movie bump). But  I promise you will never not find a buyer for that page or lose money. We have reached a point where AC #1 & TEC #27 are in a different category all together they are not just comics anymore but HISTORIC AMERICAN POP CULTURE LEGENDS that will matter long after even the best current GA books start to decline as the hobby inevitably moves past books now treasured by the aging 2nd and 3rd generation of collectors. Yes AF15, HULK 181 & X23 are all good solid  long term investments they are also a dime a dozen. But how many collectors do you know that have a page to either of those iconic books ?  On a side note: which page it is must be taken into consideration imho.

Husband: I just bought the Submariner #1 Wife: Great, what do you want for dinner, Friend at work:: Who? 

Husband :I just bought an original page from the first Batman comic Wife: You mean Detective #27? Friend at work Dude awesome Holy S#it! What's that worth?

Belloq: " Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless."

Edited by Frank Mozz

2 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Pretty much everyone has said get  a FULL BOOK, so I am in the minority. However, if you have a chance to get a nice BATMAN CGC quality page from tec  27 on your budget GRAB it ASAP & run! Pretty much all of the other books you buy will be there down the road & if you do some research they generally have a built in appreciation or in some cases depreciation projection that can be predetermined  (not counting on market fluctuation on HOT characters ( ie the movie bump). But  I promise you will never not find a buyer for that page or lose money. We have reached a point where AC #1 & TEC #27 are in a different category all together they are not just comics anymore but HISTORIC AMERICAN POP CULTURE LEGENDS that will matter long after even the best current GA books start to decline as the hobby inevitably moves past books now treasured by the aging 2nd and 3rd generation of collectors. Yes AF15, HULK 181 & X23 are all good solid  long term investments they are also a dime a dozen. But how many collectors do you know that have a page to either of those iconic books ?  On a side note: which page it is must be taken into consideration imho.

Husband: I just bought the Submariner #1 Wife: Great, what do you want for dinner, Friend at work:: Who? 

Husband :I just bought an original page from the first Batman comic Wife: You mean Detective #27? Friend at work Dude awesome Holy S#it! What's that worth?

Belloq: " Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless."

Your family must be more hip than mine. The phrase "Detective Comics no. 27" wouldn't mean a thing to anyone in my family.

Allow me to stick my nose in here.

>> as an investment

Of course all the usual caveats apply when investing in collectibles.  But having said that, it's fun to speculate.

IMO the really eye-popping rise in prices have been with books in super high grade (same as with coins and stamps). Which might be 9.8 for SA, and more likely 8.0-9.something for GA. But buy the nicest copies you can. Stick with higher grade books.

For really blue chip material, stick to Superman/Batman.  Hard to go wrong there. But even with $15K it's hard to play with the big boys. But ... there are plenty of "off brands" out there that are also highly sought after.

How about Phantom Lady #23 in 8.0 for $14K (Feb 2018)?
Startling 49? (or any with Schomburg air-brush covers)?
Famous Funnies with a Frazetta cover?
Four Color 386 - Scrooge on Money Lake?
Human Torch 12 - burning the guy's arm off

There are plenty of other fish in the sea.
And for pete's sake, instead of a comic page, consider some original art.

gozer
My eyes! The goggles do nothing.

Full book. Single pages are just parts. They have value as parts, but I don't really understand the desire to own them as a substitute for owning a complete book one can't afford, but that's me. 

Coverless or missing non-key pages or brittle pages or beater copies or major restoration, all that I can see settling for, but just a page, even a cool one,  seems like it would be pretty unsatisfying.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, AnkurJ said:

Batman 11 is cool, but only because of the cover. Cover craze hasn’t always been a thing. 6-7 years ago it was all about the historical content. So personally I think it’s risky putting money into a book just due tonthe cover since tastes change. I would consider a Detective 36, 38, 45, or 168 if you like Batman. Action 23 if you like Superman.

AnkurJ don't even get me started ... it's too late ... you got me started.

Bat 11 along with Detective 62 ... the cover is part of the content, and a matter of great historical consideration and controversy.  

What was the first Joker Cover - was it Detective Comics 40 or 62 or Batman 11?

I think... Tec 62 is the first Joker cover - even though the Tec 40 cover is an altered panel from the second Joker story in Batman 1.   DC did not intend for the cover of Tec 40 to represent the Joker ... they used a Clayface story in place of the Joker story intended for Tec 40 AND CHANGED (recolored) the intended Joker panel from Batman 1 to match the appearance of Clayface.

IN OTHER WORDS, Tec 40 was intended by DC to be Clayface.  TEC 40's cover image may have started out as a JOKER story panel in Bat 1 - but it became a A POORLY RENDERED CLAYFACE that was based on WHAT WAS the Joker from Bat 1 - but it is ultimately NOT the Joker.

The Joker story in Bat 1 was intended for Detective 40, but it got used in Batman 1 instead and what WAS a Joker image from the story in Batman 1 - BECAME a poorly reworked/recolored image of Clayface on the cover of Detective 40.

If you feel Detective 40 is the first Joker cover - your just wrong because it just isn't. The first true Joker cover and story - inside and out - is Detective 62 which would make Batman 11 the second Joker cover or maybe een the first because ....

Some Batman 11's have earlier news stand dates than some Detective 62's -  Which would make Batman 11 the first Joker cover.

AnkurJ - Bat 11 is more than a cool cover along with Tec 62 which you ignored on your Batman list.  Regarding interior content - Tec 62 is the 11th Joker story ever and it is actually THE LASTt JOKER MURDER for 30 years - now depending when Bat 11 actually hit the stands it may be the 11th Joker story AND it has the third appearance of the Penguin.

Bat 11 and Detective 62 and 69 are great investment books in the $10 to $20 thousand dollar range-- not just because of their iconic Golden age covers - but because of their part and place inside and out in the Batman mythos.

Edited by blackterror

Full book all the way. Cap 3 comes to mind you could have had my copy I recently put up to market and had money to spare and that book has everything going for it. I also think buy what YOU love then if it declines in value any you will still appreciate it. I’m a GA guy but also love the Silver Age keys. I don’t really buy for investment purposes but why not AF15? I’m sure you could snag a 2.5-3.0 and just sit on it. I think that book has done pretty well over the past 10 years. It probably won’t quintuple in value like it has but it is a book that changes hands often enough to establish true market value. A page is a shot in the dark they don’t change hands often enough and there are too many variables. One page could be worth x amount  and another completely different from the same book plus The market narrows very much for pieces I would think so the resell isn’t certain. I feel like this question gets asked a lot but good luck and let us know what you ultimately decide!!

On 10/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I have never understood why anyone would even want a page from a comic book. (I've also never cared  about first appearances for that matter.) I would definitely go after a full book.

I would be cautious about treating any comic book as an investment. Trends can change; books that are hot now can cool off. The last catalog I recevied from Heritage seemed like it had more original art and vintage video games than it did comic books (if that tells you anything).

I am in the same category.  A coverless complete copy is interesting and for certain books I would buy them but to have just a page isn’t interesting.  I can see my conversation with someone who loves the movies but not the comics so much.

Him, ”you see they are doing a new Superman movie, looks awesome”

Me, ”yeah looks great.  Did you know his first appearance sold for over $3 million”

Him, ”wow, what knucklehead would spend that much for a comic!?  Do you have a copy?”

Me, ”Funny you should ask, I have one page from that issue, it even has a panel with Superman in it”

Him, ”A page?”

Me, ”Yeah a page, pretty cool huh”

Him, ”Dude, put down the bong”

Edited by batman_fan