• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached covers that punch above their grade
3 3

21 posts in this topic

Good evening all. I snagged a couple of books in the last year with detached covers, which looked nicer than their grade. I thought I'd show them off and see if I can get some of you to post pictures of yours. I find these types of books appealing because the "eye appeal per dollar" quotient is nice.  Just have to be careful that the covers aren't detached due to rusty staples.

I'll start with Flash Comics #5.  It has White pages.  CGC grader's notes reflect: "Bottom Front Cover Small Tear; Bottom Spine Small Spine Split; Right Top Back Cover Piece Out; Staple Cover Detached; Top Spine Small Spine Split."  The top spine split does not appear to go all the way down through the yellow, even though it may appear that way in photo.

1277392655_20191011_1802261.thumb.jpg.af840cf6289c612318a26839ff842452.jpg598694768_20191011_1800051.thumb.jpg.3f96dde46f3302754851582ac0cb3520.jpg

Edited by drwente

Bought an Adventure #36 from a California Dealer.  Price and grade are separate and the dealer failed to mention the completely split spine, brittle cover with pieces missing and detached centerfold.  Sent it back due to "overgrading" despite being uncommon (do not like brittle covers/pages).  Later graded by CBCS at 1.5 and sold on comic link.  Just do not understand how CBCS could give a 1.5 to a comic that most would grade at 1.0.  The pieces were literally falling off as you can see in the photos.  Grading is subjective but there has to be consistency.  Just my opinion. 

Adventure 36 Front and Back brittle inside shot.JPG

Adventure 36 Front and back brittle.JPG

Adenture 36 Detached Centerfold.JPG

Last December Heritage sold a Captain Marvel Jr. #3 with a detached cover and significant right sided "foxing" graded CGC 4.0.  What is the upper limit for a detached cover especially an unattractive cover with the foxing?