• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the top of this cover been trimmed (Incredible Hulk 340)?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I got a good deal on this and was so excited that I forgot to do a sanity check. Is it just me, or does something look wrong here? Did I buy a cover where the top was trimmed? What would CGC grade this as if I went for a blue label? Hopefully, it's not purple label?

8E697F93-E465-4159-AEF5-B06DBFB14803_1_105_c.jpeg

83D500AF-2720-467A-A885-6C8283DA61EB_1_105_c.jpeg

415525A6-5C24-4942-A1D7-3DEDF8038FFA_1_105_c.jpeg

AC27E044-3F39-4405-AF27-A7CAE03542D9_1_105_c.jpeg

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Could be an optical illusion - but it looks trimmed to me.

No. Not trimmed. Aside from the tope edge being a typical production cut, the book is top centered by exactly the same amount of the offset at the bottom. It sizes right. Now keep in mind, size isn't always the definitive answer. There are outliers at both ends, both large and small, tolerances can vary. The top edge here tells the story. Perfectly normal for H 340 production. No trim.

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

No. Not trimmed. Aside from the tope edge being a typical production cut, the book is top centered by exactly the same amount of the offset at the bottom. It sizes right. Now keep in mind, size isn't always the definitive answer. There are outliers at both ends, both large and small, tolerances can vary. The top edge here tells the story. Perfectly normal for H 340 production. No trim.

I agree. Plus who would trim a hulk 340?

8 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I agree. Plus who would trim a hulk 340?

Why not. There are $50 to $100 raw high grade copies on ebay. That's enough incentive for some to attempt trimming an 8.0 into a 9.4. Never underestimate the other guy's greed.

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Why not

I’ve never seen a trimmed copper or modern. Plenty of gold though. I’d like to think that trimming of books is from a bygone era when bad behavior couldn’t be instantly outed world wide.   It does look a little funky but CGC won’t downgrade for the miscut so long as it occurred during printing. 

24 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I’ve never seen a trimmed copper or modern. Plenty of gold though. I’d like to think that trimming of books is from a bygone era when bad behavior couldn’t be instantly outed world wide.   It does look a little funky but CGC won’t downgrade for the miscut so long as it occurred during printing. 

You will as and if the value goes up. I've seen it. Many times.

Glad to hear from most people here that it's just a production flaw. I did notice that the bottom is a bit more visible, if that's telling. If you compare a "regular" Incredible Hulk 340, you notice that the orange triangle on Wolverine's left arm is a bit smaller. 

Here's a reference (not mine):

IMG_5513.jpg

Edited by SteviaComics

On 10/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, SteviaComics said:

I got a good deal on this and was so excited that I forgot to do a sanity check. Is it just me, or does something look wrong here? Did I buy a cover where the top was trimmed? What would CGC grade this as if I went for a blue label? Hopefully, it's not purple label?

8E697F93-E465-4159-AEF5-B06DBFB14803_1_105_c.jpeg

83D500AF-2720-467A-A885-6C8283DA61EB_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, if a person did trim it, s/he did a VERY poor job!

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer