Are there CGC grades you dislike for no reason?
3 3

102 posts in this topic

2,723 posts

For some reason, I have a thing against 9.2s. 

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

Anyone else have similar feelings about certain grades or am I just crazy?

4,669 posts

I prefer buying 9.8s of the comics I like. I feel strange about having other grades. I know, it's crazy.

On moderns of course.

Edited by Hollywood1892

4,295 posts

I don't like 9.6. I think it looks ugly and prefer 9.4, or 9.8.

To be honest, some of my hate comes from the "9.8 or bust" for modern slabs, mentality.

692 posts

Anything above 9.0 except for 10.   I do not mind the fractional amounts except they do not use is consistently for grades below 9.0.    

3,021 posts

Not a grade, but I dislike any page quality where cream is involved.  The word cream bugs me in general, and I have no idea why.

Edited by mattn792

244 posts

I have no gripes with any particular number grade. I do think a double decimal place grade would be awesome at preventing the OCD types from having all their books graded to the same number. Imagine getting a 9.76 grade but wanting everything a 9.8. Hilarity.

50,622 posts
5 hours ago, Foley said:

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

I can try to analyze this if you want.

3,222 posts
5 hours ago, Foley said:

Maybe you just haven't been exposed to enough 9.2s in social surroundings? At first, I didn't like 6.0s and 9.6s. And thankfully, aside from the grade 9.6, you don't often encounter the number 6 in grades other than 6.0 and 9.6. Now, I'm not ashamed to admit that once I really did some soul searching, I deduced that my dislike for those grades stemmed from my disdain for the number 6 and not anything relevant to the book, the grade, or the hobby! So I worked on it. I exposed myself to the number 6, no longer avoiding it, and gradually acquiesced, becoming as tolerant of that number as any of its neighbors. Now, I love all the grades equally, I no longer play favorites. I hope this helps with your dislike for 9.2. Give it a try and good luck!  :wishluck:.

4,669 posts
1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Not a grade, but I dislike any page quality where cream is involved.  The word cream bugs me in general, and I have no idea why.

I totally understand you