What is your favorite "Did you know?" fact about comics or comic creators?
2 2

136 posts in this topic

19,941 posts

Here is a wild one...

Bob Wood, co-creator of the classic "Crime Does Not Pay" comic book in the 1940's. Had a tragic end. Murdered his girlfriend, served his time and was run over and killed a few years later by gangsters he met in Sing Sing and didn't repay a loan

http://www.crimemagazine.com/downfall-delinquent-short-unhappy-life-bob-wood

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

Ayers was colorblind - but he colored. He kept all his paints in jars where he could read the labels. Artists John Severin, Tim Sale, John Byrne, and Howard Chaykin are also colorblind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

In 1940, DC Comics developed its first set of standards and practices. Among the rules, the word “FLICK” was banned, due to fear the lettering could run together and result in an altogether new word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s famous contract with DC sold Superman for $130, plus a 10-year contract to do the book, plus 32.5% to 40% of net proceeds derived from the newspaper strip, plus 5% of all other licensing.

In 1942 alone, they made $63,776.46 in Superman income, the equivalent of $986,459.35 in 2017 dollars.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

Artist Gene Colan modeled his Dracula in Marvel’s Tomb of Dracula after actor Jack Palance. In the days before Google and DVRs, Colan would actually sit in front of the TV with a Polaroid camera when Palance was on and shoot photo reference right from the screen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,378 posts

Next time you see Larry Hama, ask him to tell you a Vinnie Colletta story about going out for dessert in Little Italy.   I will leave that here and let that be his story to tell.  He told it to a friend and myself at NYCC and we left wide eyed and laughing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,622 posts
50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here is a wild one...

Bob Wood, co-creator of the classic "Crime Does Not Pay" comic book in the 1940's. Had a tragic end. Murdered his girlfriend, served his time and was run over and killed a few years later by gangsters he met in Sing Sing and didn't repay a loan

http://www.crimemagazine.com/downfall-delinquent-short-unhappy-life-bob-wood

 

 

 

 

 

 

Crime did not Pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,622 posts
5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Next time you see Larry Hama, ask him to tell you a Vinnie Colletta story about going out for dessert in Little Italy.   I will leave that here and let that be his story to tell.  He told it to a friend and myself at NYCC and we left wide eyed and laughing. 

Neal Adams has been known to bellow "THE REAL SHOW'S OVER HERE!!" at conventions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,522 posts
28 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Artist Gene Colan modeled his Dracula in Marvel’s Tomb of Dracula after actor Jack Palance. In the days before Google and DVRs, Colan would actually sit in front of the TV with a Polaroid camera when Palance was on and shoot photo reference right from the screen!

Green Lantern Hal Jordan was modelled on actor Paul Newman

Captain Marvel (Fawcett / DC) on Fred MacMurray

Edited by Ken Aldred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,622 posts
2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Green Lantern Hal Jordan was modelled on actor Paul Newman

Captain Marvel (Fawcett / DC) on Fred MacMurray

I see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,915 posts

*John Totleben continued drawing for Miracleman even though he had 90% vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa

*Dont ever ask Jim Starlin to sign books with silver ink/sharpie as he has a rare allergy to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,744 posts

Indiana University has a course in comic writing/drawing run by the Delta Zeta Sorority sisters:

 

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,622 posts
17 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

*John Totleben continued drawing for Miracleman even though he had 90% vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa

*Dont ever ask Jim Starlin to sign books with silver ink/sharpie as he has a rare allergy to it

omg this thread is blowing my mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

On April 13, 2005, legendary editor and artist Giordano said, “I've had at least one Rob Roy to drink every day for the last 40 years. It's kinda become my signature drink.”

That’s 14,600 Rob Roys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50,622 posts
3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Indiana University has a course in comic writing/drawing run by the Delta Zeta Sorority sisters:

 

Ok I want to join this Sorority now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,744 posts
54 minutes ago, kav said:

Ok I want to join this Sorority now.

You'd be perfect because, well, you ruin everything and destroy all threads.You know, you'd fit right in with the kind of girls that say stuff like, "You're always ruining everything!"

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,249 posts

On May 10-12, 2002, artist John Romita Jr. set a Guinness World Record by penciling Spider-Man sketches and signing autographs in Times Square for 51 hours and 26 minutes consecutively. His efforts raised more than $10,000 to benefit his niece, who suffered from brain cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2