• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth me buying comics from a shop
1 1

11 posts in this topic

As i live in Europe, I tend to buy comics on ebay. They tend to always be American sellers as they have the best selection. However, I always have the added costs of postage and import duty, which tends to add around $50 to $60 to the cost of any purchase...ouch !! This pretty much kills most comic deals I may enter.

So, I was wondering if going to comic shops when I next visit the USA (2020) would be the answer. For sure, I eliminate the high delivery cost, but are US comic shop prices competitive with ebay prices, or would it not be worth the trouble ?

It depends on the shop. On less expensive stuff, when you factor in shipping, most shops are often cheaper than ebay. Also, many smaller shops will give preferential pricing for a cash purchase. Many of the books I sell on eBay were purchased at shops for less.

And it really depends on where you are going. Every city has different retail options. My guess is that with $50-60 in shipping and duties you are not buying cheap books, so you need to confirm in advance the depth of inventory at a shop.

Too many unknown variables to answer your question.  BUT I would say in general if you love comics, you should at least visit a shop when you visit America.  I would say if you can time it right, going to a comic book show will give you the most value for your time and money.

6 hours ago, revat said:

I would say if you can time it right, going to a comic book show will give you the most value for your time and money.

I’d concur.

More common sense if travelling that far to have the vacation coincide with a decent convention and have much more choice in one place.