• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me identify these modern Spawn comic variants
1 1

22 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Comicsarefun said:

93974136_w087.thumb.jpg.c7031a44052d4c819f5ac1d6a6e1e03e.jpg

I'm no expert on Spawn, but the first thought is that the above is a sketch variant.

But this is the sketch variant for that issue:

sk.thumb.jpg.963bea9eec0dff1e4c4425751592d0a4.jpg

If you look at the regular #1, it looks like this:

sk1.thumb.jpg.7a7b66f9176745eda829c15539b8ef78.jpg

Put your one next to it:

93974136_w087.thumb.jpg.c7031a44052d4c819f5ac1d6a6e1e03e.thumb.jpg.d7826ba5f5f8d12a819935cb27ed1be1.jpg  sk1.thumb.jpg.7a7b66f9176745eda829c15539b8ef78.jpg

Slightly different colour '2' in the title. White image logo vs black. 

So if anything, your book looks like a precursor to the original. Prototype sketch cover?

Bottom line, if it can't be found anywhere online, it's either fake or an in house book that should never have seen the light of day (but even they often do)

2 minutes ago, Comicsarefun said:

Great info. I really appreciate the help.  The prototype theory is interesting as these came from an Image employee.  

That's the clue I suppose. It suggests something in house doesn't it. In my experience, you will always be able to find something on any comic if you trawl the web hard enough. That these aren't showing up anywhere is telling. Be cool to see what CGC would make of them. Let's see if anyone else chips in. Bound to be a few Spawn experts here...

33 minutes ago, Comicsarefun said:

Hi all,

I just bought some Spawn comics from a friend of an Image Comics business rep.  There are three comics that I can't find record of on eBay or MyComicShop.  Does anybody know what the deal is with these?  Any help would be appreciated.

1674017257_w086.thumb.jpg.47504a20699fdbe5806d4c4f5370ca0e.jpg

This book looks to be a printer error or proof or one off? The tradedress is right for 285. 285 had the half sketch covers R and L and the presales jumped due the sheer number of covers. IF it is a one off cover variant it's probably $500-1k to right buyer.

It's also possible it's a foreign version that I am unfamiliar with. 

I belong to a Spawn Facebook group that includes collectors that chase this sort of thing. 

Nice books 👍

5 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I belong to a Spawn Facebook group that includes collectors that chase this sort of thing. 

Send em pictures (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

If it was I'd expect non-US cover pricing. I'd also expect to see one or two on ebay UK etc. 

7 minutes ago, Comicsarefun said:

Awesome help!  That is exciting news.

Come back and tell us if you ever find out won't you - I love this kind of thing :)

Hello I am a completist from one of the Spawn groups. The blank Spawn 285 I have seen before. I dont exactly remember the details about it, but it is not the only copy. I did not pick it up back then, but would be interested to buy it from you. The two Spawn Kills covers are certainly prototypes or color tests, which should not have gotten out. Those I have not seen. Let me know if you would like to sell the 285 blank, it is actually on my list of ones I need.

Edited by Fumerkeys

Maybe email/DM image or Todd McFarlane directly?

Yep those are samples for 302, but they are only advanced copies and will not differ from the ones released in a couple days.  Todd and others that work there will usually have these copies ahead of release. Sometimes they can be used for corrections, but usually the batch is printed soon after and correction aren't made unless there is another printing. Cool to have early nonetheless.

Edited by Fumerkeys

7 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This book looks to be a printer error or proof or one off? The tradedress is right for 285. 285 had the half sketch covers R and L and the presales jumped due the sheer number of covers. IF it is a one off cover variant it's probably $500-1k to right buyer.

Nice books 👍

Hi are you selling those 3 spawn books. Would like to buy them

8 hours ago, Comicsarefun said:

Hi all,

I just bought some Spawn comics from a friend of an Image Comics business rep.  There are three comics that I can't find record of on eBay or MyComicShop.  Does anybody know what the deal is with these?  Any help would be appreciated.

1674017257_w086.thumb.jpg.47504a20699fdbe5806d4c4f5370ca0e.jpg93974136_w087.thumb.jpg.c7031a44052d4c819f5ac1d6a6e1e03e.jpg313619637_w088.thumb.jpg.4d41ad5e8cb6b1e9265b459beb8ccdd1.jpg

Hi are you selling