• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr. Sleep

17 posts in this topic

I watched The Shining again yesterday and went in to Dr. Sleep today not expecting much. I thought it was truly fantastic. There were definitely some things I had some issues with but not enough to take away from the experience. From what I understand, quite a few bad reviews for the film were due to the violence inflicted upon children. The main scene in question was definitely hard to watch. I did not read the book though, and heard there are big differences. Ordering it on Kindle now. But this is a must-watch if you have any nostalgia for The Shining.

8 hours ago, Oddball said:

I watched The Shining again yesterday and went in to Dr. Sleep today not expecting much. I thought it was truly fantastic. There were definitely some things I had some issues with but not enough to take away from the experience. From what I understand, quite a few bad reviews for the film were due to the violence inflicted upon children. The main scene in question was definitely hard to watch. I did not read the book though, and heard there are big differences. Ordering it on Kindle now. But this is a must-watch if you have any nostalgia for The Shining.

I've read more than a few reviews where people went into DR Sleep assuming lackluster and came out saying it was truly a solid film.

Marketing failure in advance of the release?

18 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

I think it’s been far too long since the Shining was released to get the masses to care. Most aren’t going to go watch or rewatch the Shining. 

I think this is one of the key marketing missed opportunities.

From Chris Stuckmann's review, he talks about the first two hours the story has nothing to do with The Shining. It was a unique story unto itself. It is the remaining time that then wraps up the story of The Shining.

Before this, I had no idea that as the situation. The studio maybe could have pushed that message more there was a unique story to enjoy, and not something forcing you back into a 1970's film story. I definitely want to see this now.

I’ve noticed Dr. Sleep has been available on iTunes the last few days but what I didn’t notice until right now was the description states that as an iTunes extra, you get the Director's Cut with an additional half hour of footage. I searched online and it’s all related to character development.   Instant buy for me at that point. Can’t wait to watch this again. 

https://collider.com/doctor-sleep-directors-cut-whats-different-mike-flanagan/

Edited by Oddball

On 1/24/2020 at 9:05 PM, Oddball said:

I’ve noticed Dr. Sleep has been available on iTunes the last few days but what I didn’t notice until right now was the description states that as an iTunes extra, you get the Director's Cut with an additional half hour of footage. I searched online and it’s all related to character development.   Instant buy for me at that point. Can’t wait to watch this again. 

https://collider.com/doctor-sleep-directors-cut-whats-different-mike-flanagan/

I just watched this for the first time two days ago, and while the "shining" powers some have are way over the top and superhero like, the movie itself is fantastic. Is there anything you can't do, Ewan McGregor?

48 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Loved this movie!

Very entertaining.

If you haven't watched "Room 237," than check it out!

:headbang:

IMG_3176.thumb.jpg.6a50960d6080462507ba328c9c752aae.jpg

Very interesting movie. It’s fun to go back after and watch the Shining, you won’t look at it the same way again. 
hm

DOCTOR SLEEP EXCLUSIVE Blu-ray Featurette Sees Us "Return To The Overlook"

Doctor Sleep continues the story of Danny Torrance, 40 years after his stay at the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.  Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, and newcomer Kyliegh Curran star in the supernatural thriller, directed by Mike Flanagan, from his own screenplay based on Stephen King's novel.

The film is out now on Digital Download, and on Blu-Ray, DVD and 4K UHD on March 9th. 

The "Director's Cut" of Doctor Sleep features nearly 30 minutes of new, alternate and extended scenes, selected by director Mike Flanagan, not seen in cinemas. Now, we're able to share an exclusive excerpt from a featurette titled "Return to the Overlook." Revolving around the recreation of the iconic hotel, it features some incredible behind the scenes footage and interviews. 

With content like this, the movie is going to be a must-have for horror fans, and we'll be sharing our review of the Doctor Sleep Blu-ray for you a little later this week. 

17 hours ago, nearmint said:

Maybe titling it The Shining 2 would've helped.

Having seen the film (which is really intense and worth the time), I am floored how they did such a poor job tying the two films together via marketing.

Now I want to see that Director's Cut when I get a chance and see what they did with this version.