PGM Amazing Fantasy #15
1 1

28 posts in this topic

192 posts

Hi all, my friend wanted to have an idea of the grade of his AF 15.

I'll say it right away it's NOT for sale, so please don't message me lol 

The main flaws are :

1) Blue stain at the bottom of the comics. It go through to about page 10.

2) Damage above the top staple

3) Crease lines on cover

Other then those flaws very nice book !

Thanks for your opinions :)

AF15_cover.jpg

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
304 posts

Holy moly man that’s amazing in any grade but due to the wrinkles I would say 5.5 maybe 5 could be wrong but yeah congrats to your friend 

Edited by silversufer27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,017 posts

Great book- The blue stain will be hammered by cgc. I'm going 3-3.5. You sure its not for sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
2 minutes ago, Wipple said:

Great book- The blue stain will be hammered by cgc. I'm going 3-3.5. You sure its not for sale?

Yeah the stain is a killer. No sorry not for sale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
942 posts

Man... great book... I'd like to go back in time and stop that blue gunk from ever hitting the cover...

 

source.gif

 

...fire up the Delorean!!!! :)

I'll say optimistically 3.5... and it would probably be one of the best-looking AF15's ever at that grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Man... great book... I'd like to go back in time and stop that blue gunk from ever hitting the cover...

 

source.gif

 

...fire up the Delorean!!!! :)

I'll say optimistically 3.5... and it would probably be one of the best-looking AF15's ever at that grade.

yeah I agree, I looked at other 3.5 and they looked way less good. The stain doesn't ruin the eye appeal since it's at the the bottom of the comic. I wonder how CGC would evaluate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,575 posts

Is that color touch along the spine or just shadowing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Is that color touch along the spine or just shadowing?

In the back, it's the (bad) wrap of the book front the front. Is that what you meant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,575 posts
34 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

In the back, it's the (bad) wrap of the book front the front. Is that what you meant?

photo2.thumb.JPG.5f5f0621044d1cef5834e2423d832f14.jpg.cb61c6d5f7f1271b4f43f8e039af916d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
47 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Is that color touch along the spine or just shadowing?

joeypost i think you might be right. Here are to bigger pics. The brown seems darker at the top. Can color touch be removed? If so, how expensive is it to do this ? Thanks

Color_touch.JPG

Color_touch_2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,425 posts
12 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

joeypost i think you might be right. Here are to bigger pics. The brown seems darker at the top. Can color touch be removed? If so, how expensive is it to do this ? Thanks

Color_touch.JPG

Color_touch_2.JPG

That CT bleeds through to the inside so removal will leave holes. Probably best not to mess with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
1 minute ago, The-Collector said:

That CT bleeds through to the inside so removal will leave holes. Probably best not to mess with it. 

Does that mean if the comic is slabbed by CGC, it will have a purple label :( . Looks like a C scale... Would it drop a complete grade (like 4.0 to 3.0?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,575 posts
5 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Does that mean if the comic is slabbed by CGC, it will have a purple label :( . Looks like a C scale... Would it drop a complete grade (like 4.0 to 3.0?)

At this level it may be the case. To have all that CT scrapped off the book, you  would lose some paper, especially around the top edge of the spine and the top staple. 

Unfortunate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
1 hour ago, joeypost said:

At this level it may be the case. To have all that CT scrapped off the book, you  would lose some paper, especially around the top edge of the spine and the top staple. 

Unfortunate. 

Well the comic is still popular in restored grade but the value does drop alot.

Do you think it's a 3.5 CGC restored ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,078 posts

It's going to get a restored grade so...... here's the new question.  Should you now do FULL resto to maximize the grade? I'll bet with CT to the creases in the lower right, a cover cleaning, a pressing, and whatever other magic a pro restorer can do, that the grade on this might max out around 7.0.  

If it's going to be a PLOD, would you want a 3.0-3.5 PLOD or a 7.0 PLOD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510 posts

I would much rather sink the money into getting it back to a blue label. A couple holes are fine especially since it is along the edge. I’m super partial to blue label but to each their own and I think the cost to do the work would be significantly cheaper than a full restoration and a good shot that the book would be worth more at a lower grade blue.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,425 posts
3 hours ago, AJCohen said:

I would much rather sink the money into getting it back to a blue label. A couple holes are fine especially since it is along the edge. I’m super partial to blue label but to each their own and I think the cost to do the work would be significantly cheaper than a full restoration and a good shot that the book would be worth more at a lower grade blue.

Good luck!

This. I don't know how much of that ink stain is ever going to come out and likely caps the grade at a 5.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192 posts
3 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

This. I don't know how much of that ink stain is ever going to come out and likely caps the grade at a 5.0.

Caps at 5.0 blue label?

How much does restoration cost about? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1