Wondering if CCS is actually pressing the books
4 4

17 posts in this topic

578 posts

I have been submitting to them since it was Classics Incorporated and Matt Nelson was practically a one man shop and I have received books during the past month that do not look like they have been pressed at all. I understand about color breaking creases but I have a number of instances where indentations both on the spine and center area - that do NOT break the cover inks are still there. I would post images but it is too hard to see these flaws when they don't break the cover inks. I have talked to Customer Service and I will send them back to be evaluated. Three books total on three different invoices.

I used to be so pleased with the pressing results but no longer. If they can't fix these - or if they give me a hard time about doing so - then I will have to find another presser and not sure who does a really good job these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,493 posts

Arseman flashbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
972 posts
16 hours ago, WalkinWillie said:

I used to be so pleased with the pressing results but no longer. If they can't fix these - or if they give me a hard time about doing so - then I will have to find another presser and not sure who does a really good job these days.

1469104389-joey-tribbiani-matt-le-blanc-post-box-delivery-unsplash-620x400.jpg

 

This is like deja vu all over again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,161 posts

Unfortunately, Matt is probably pretty busy just grading books these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,493 posts
7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Unfortunately, Matt is probably pretty busy just grading books these days...

Is he grading books that he pressed? Or that people paid to have pressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,599 posts

If he is grading books, the answer is yes...he is grading books that have been pressed. According to CGC, the graders would not know WHO pressed them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,161 posts
4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Is he grading books that he pressed? Or that people paid to have pressed?

Since pressing has become so popular, it would follow that all the graders are grading books that've been pressed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141 posts
On 11/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, WalkinWillie said:

I have been submitting to them since it was Classics Incorporated and Matt Nelson was practically a one man shop and I have received books during the past month that do not look like they have been pressed at all. I understand about color breaking creases but I have a number of instances where indentations both on the spine and center area - that do NOT break the cover inks are still there. I would post images but it is too hard to see these flaws when they don't break the cover inks. I have talked to Customer Service and I will send them back to be evaluated. Three books total on three different invoices.

I used to be so pleased with the pressing results but no longer. If they can't fix these - or if they give me a hard time about doing so - then I will have to find another presser and not sure who does a really good job these days.

I used to love being able to 'talk' to Matt before CGC bought him out and actually get a reply as to what he thought a book might do after pressing.  Never felt great when CGC bought CCS... seemed kind of like the Fox guarding the Hen House in my opinion.  Now I just send my books off to CCS and fire and forget.  I too have had a few books that I wondered if they were either pressed at all or benefited at all.  Still, I always pay the extra fee for pressing to give my books what I think is the 'best chance.'  I have not paid for a restoration check though and up until recently, didn't really care about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,230 posts
On 11/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, Iconic1s said:

 Never felt great when CGC bought CCS... seemed kind of like the Fox guarding the Hen House in my opinion.  Now I just send my books off to CCS.  Still, I always pay the extra fee for pressing to give my books what I think is the 'best chance.' 

I wondered how CCS could pro Quick press a comic for a low $8 each and that is supposed to include a quick spine roll fix too. I guess that is what helped to create the need for CVA Exceptional sticker that itself costs btwn $30 to $40 :o each depending on 'retail' or GPA value of one's comic to be auctioned: to help monitor CGC when they are grading extra strict or under-grading comics that week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103 posts

Same subject.  Different vein.  Do we know the approx. turn around time for Modern pressing and grading by CCS and CGC?  The comments are a little concerning in this thread.  My view is.  If there really is only one of the two to chose.  I'll take right over fast, every time.  Just tryin to get an idea of how long right is taking nowadays.

On a totally different vein.  Here's a pic of a cool book.

scan2006.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
612 posts
1 hour ago, Wallstreet said:

Same subject.  Different vein.  Do we know the approx. turn around time for Modern pressing and grading by CCS and CGC?  The comments are a little concerning in this thread.  My view is.  If there really is only one of the two to chose.  I'll take right over fast, every time.  Just tryin to get an idea of how long right is taking nowadays.

On a totally different vein.  Here's a pic of a cool book.

scan2006.jpg

The service and fees page lists the prices and turnaround times for each tier, pressing & grading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103 posts
3 hours ago, csaag said:

The service and fees page lists the prices and turnaround times for each tier, pressing & grading

Ah.  True dat.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,482 posts
On 11/22/2019 at 1:11 AM, Wallstreet said:

Same subject.  Different vein.  Do we know the approx. turn around time for Modern pressing and grading by CCS and CGC?  The comments are a little concerning in this thread.  My view is.  If there really is only one of the two to chose.  I'll take right over fast, every time.  Just tryin to get an idea of how long right is taking nowadays.

On a totally different vein.  Here's a pic of a cool book.

scan2006.jpg

Props to Janson for having a legible signature. As a lazy person myself, I understand the devolution of one's signature into a simple scribble, but it would annoy me to go to the trouble of getting an artist's sig, and to end up with something that looks like they were testing the pen to see if it worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103 posts
On 11/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, rjpb said:

Props to Janson for having a legible signature. As a lazy person myself, I understand the devolution of one's signature into a simple scribble, but it would annoy me to go to the trouble of getting an artist's sig, and to end up with something that looks like they were testing the pen to see if it worked. 

Agreed.  And he signed in black ink in a place on the cover where it easily stands out.  Maybe it's the difference between inkers, and pencillers and writers...  Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4