Fan Expo Boston, August 7-9, 2020

5 posts in this topic

12,635 posts

It’s the first MASSIVE guest announcement to rule them all. Hobbit over to see Lord of The Rings’ Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan, and Billy Boyd at FAN EXPO’s The Four Hobbits: An Unexpected Reunion. 2020 tickets go on sale, Nov 20. Hobbit tickets go on sale, Nov 21: https://www.fanexpoboston.com/…/speci…/the-four-hobbits.html

75584979_2705295849521988_7908154507089936384_o.jpg

71185707_2419670261416051_8707534090804396032_o.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

1,534 posts

I remember when Boston Comic Con started out-- the promoters were HUGE on it being a comics only show.   Now the big attraction are some hobbits.   How long before there are no comics at some of these shows?    Thank god for Heroes, Emerald City and Baltimore.

12,635 posts
16 hours ago, AndyFish said:

I remember when Boston Comic Con started out-- the promoters were HUGE on it being a comics only show.   Now the big attraction are some hobbits.   How long before there are no comics at some of these shows?    Thank god for Heroes, Emerald City and Baltimore.

Fan Expo Boston has continued to have great comic guests over the past few years since the changeover (this year, for example, we had Todd McFarlane, Greg Capullo, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Steve Rude, Don Rosa and another 90+ creator guests), and while comics are not the only focus of the show, they are still the largest footprint on the show floor.

We've actually increased the number of comics professional guests at the event since the purchase, providing more complimentary tables to professional creators, and have had the input of former owner Nick, as well as Randy House and Bob Shaw during those years. Bob Shaw is back on the Boston team for 2020. 

I fully understand the resistance to change, but Fan Expo does include a handful of different fandoms, and yes, the biggest marketing push is definitely with the celebrity guests, but it's not the only push. I post the celebrity announcements here because there are collectors on these forums that do like to get their comics signed by celebrities. My focus is only on the comic creator guests and providing a great line up of creator guests and programming content for our attendees. 

I hope you'll consider attending to get a first hand perspective to see we haven't "lost the faith". We'd certainly welcome having you and Veronica attend as creator guests so we can show you firsthand. Last year you went to Wizard Chicago as I recall. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd

1,534 posts
On 11/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

Fan Expo Boston has continued to have great comic guests over the past few years since the changeover (this year, for example, we had Todd McFarlane, Greg Capullo, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Steve Rude, Don Rosa and another 90+ creator guests), and while comics are not the only focus of the show, they are still the largest footprint on the show floor.

We've actually increased the number of comics professional guests at the event since the purchase, providing more complimentary tables to professional creators, and have had the input of former owner Nick, as well as Randy House and Bob Shaw during those years. Bob Shaw is back on the Boston team for 2020. 

I fully understand the resistance to change, but Fan Expo does include a handful of different fandoms, and yes, the biggest marketing push is definitely with the celebrity guests, but it's not the only push. I post the celebrity announcements here because there are collectors on these forums that do like to get their comics signed by celebrities. My focus is only on the comic creator guests and providing a great line up of creator guests and programming content for our attendees. 

I hope you'll consider attending to get a first hand perspective to see we haven't "lost the faith". We'd certainly welcome having you and Veronica attend as creator guests so we can show you firsthand. Last year you went to Wizard Chicago as I recall. 

Yeah we've been guests of Chicago Wizard, C2E2, San Diego Comic Con, Rose City, Heroes, Jet City, Ace and a whole bunch of others-- I wasn't lamenting the fact that you have a focus on celebrities but just that it's moved so far away from the original intention.   I appreciate and understand that the most successful shows bring in celebrities.   ACE in Chicago was a lot of fun, but the draws were the A-List movie stars of the Marvel films.   Fewer and fewer shows are just comic focused.   Appreciate the invitation, no slight intended, just observation.

12,635 posts

I miss doing comics only shows too (I did one for five years in Toronto), but from a budget perspective, working within the framework of a larger pop culture con has allowed for us to do more and I think our guests do benefit from exposure to other audiences with crossover appeal. Comic fans can also have interest in celebrities, and people there for celebrities do come and check out the comic guests. But ultimately yes, the owner of the Boston Comic Con decided to sell his event to Fan Expo HQ and they don't do comics only shows, so Fan Expo Boston is a pop culture show.

Edited by Kevin Boyd