• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to identify a real signature (Bernie Wrightson)

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. I’m a big fan of the Bronze Age Swamp Thing, and I just bought the #7 signed by Bernie Wrightson. I trust the seller, but I still want to make sure that the signature is authentic. How can I do that? 

Edit: I just bought the comic book on EBay, I don’t have it with me for the moment  

1EAF3141-F935-42DC-9A84-85779F52082E.jpeg

Edited by Beney117

Tomfolio.com

Look up Wrightson in the menu. They have exemplars of known signature. 

I've had a lot of Bernie stuff signed through the years and this issue of ST #7 looks legit in my opinion. 

Paul

On 11/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, Beney117 said:

Hi everybody. I’m a big fan of the Bronze Age Swamp Thing, and I just bought the #7 signed by Bernie Wrightson. I trust the seller, but I still want to make sure that the signature is authentic. How can I do that? 

Edit: I just bought the comic book on EBay, I don’t have it with me for the moment  

The short answer...and the honest one...is this: you can't, and never will.

That's just the way it is. The good thing about unwitnessed signatures is that they almost always go for peanuts, so there's no real incentive....yet....to forge them.

I have a couple hundred unwitnessed books. It's more likely than not that they're all genuine, but there's nothing to stop forgeries. So, you just don't pay any premium for them, learn what their signatures look like, and hope for the best.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, Beney117 said:

To buy this book in this condition . . . you clearly wanted a signed copy of a great book. So, my advice is: Just Enjoy It!

Cheers,

d

Without going too far into it, there are companies that are NOT CGC that you can pay for them to evaluate and authenticate signatures.  Of course even those are not guaranteed, and the personal math on value vs cost is up to you, but that is an option that some people take in some cases.

Buy what you can you reasonably enjoy based on your own tastes, preferences, and math.  Good luck.