• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
2 2

98 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Sadly, an assumption that cannot be made, even though CGC seems to be pretty good with later printings from the Big Two. Indies are another story (as you well know). :eek:

Indeed. I still have those two Albedo #0s I got slabbed a decade ago that were unlabeled 2nd and 3rd prints. I average about 1 labeling error every two invoices. It's a serious problem. I feel for the people who work there; we all have our areas of expertise, but if you were to ask me to correctly label, say, 50s pre-code Harvey horror, I'd probably be lost, too. That said, the odds are in his favor on this book; the 4th print isn't likely to be seen in high grade to begin with, so it's probably safe to say that there aren't more than 3-5 other such mislabeled "first prints" out there, if that many. Hopefully there aren't. The fact that this one was discovered is probably a fluke; the owner should have sent it in to be correctly labeled (and still should.) I'm impressed that Lonestar correctly identified it.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

While true, there is nothing about this specific book that suggests post-slabbing damage is an issue.

But to the point of asking if a book really looks like the grade on the label, I have many times heard veterans say stuff like "there is no way this is a (fill in the blank)!"  There have also been errors on labels as you stated so I dont think the OP's question was immediately deserving of ridicule.

Edited by kav

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

If you join a group and expect everybody else to change for you, you are a :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I read the boards for months before posting. I knew the general atmosphere and a lot of specific personalities of other members. Some clueless people might have been offended by some of the early posts directed at me, but I was able to see them for what they really were. That doesn't mean I've never had a problem with anybody here, that everybody here is among the nicest, most perfect people in the world, or that the off-topic/silliness doesn't get out of hand sometimes, just that this place is what it is and that has to be understood.

I know people who have half million dollar collections who have never made one single post on these boards. When somebody comes and says this is a culture, what culture? "People who chat on chatboards?" That isnt someone giving someone else advice, or trying to guide them in the right direction on a social media platform.

I agree with you, this place is what it is and has to be understood. I don't expect people to change for me, nor do I think the OP expects that, he wanted an honest opinion on his grade, that was it.

There are people I get along very well with on this board, and then there is people who cannot stand me, regardless of what I post, weather it is thoughtful or thoughtless.

I'll be the first to admit that I occasionally derail threads, buy spec books, ask questions I already know the answer too, but I think we have all been guilty of that.

But I notice when this happens and somebody offers me advice that appears condescending it is the same people coming along and liking the post.

That culture is a culture of bullying, not one of acceptance, and that is the message I am trying to get across.

That all being said, people need to understand that 9.8s aren't mint, they are near mint. CGC are proffessional graders who have been doing it for years. I respect their grading without question, and if I think I can get a higher grade by a press, than I'll do it.

It's a nice book OP

Edited by Hollywood1892

12 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Wasn’t whining... just stating a fact, which everyone has now pretty much confirmed.

If anything, those attacking me for ‘talking back’ are doing the whining!

’Oh, poor me, I was treated like when I got here so now it’s my turn’. Waa waa waa (that’s a baby crying). 

So, ‘observe’ then wait to take . What is this 8th grade?!

Great way to make the hobby look like it’s occupied by a bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  You guys need to grow up. 

BTW - I’m not going anywhere!!!  I don’t have anything to prove to anyone here. In fact, with the type of group think going on here by ‘some’ of you I would suspect that many people would leave if not for their love of comics. Your stupid attitudes certainly aren’t the thing bringing them here in droves!

Go ahead now, get started, pick out parts of my comment to criticize and attack. I know that’s how you operate.  Have fun :headbang:

This 

2 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Wasn’t whining... just stating a fact, which everyone has now pretty much confirmed.

If anything, those attacking me for ‘talking back’ are doing the whining!

’Oh, poor me, I was treated poorly when I got here so now it’s my turn to treat someone else poorly.’  Waa waa waa (that’s a baby crying). 

So, ‘observe’ then wait to take it.   What is this 8th grade?!

Why should anyone think they have to wait months before feeling comfortable making their first post?  That’s crazy!

Great way to make the hobby look like it’s occupied by a bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  You guys need to grow up. 

BTW - I’m not going anywhere!!!  I don’t have anything to prove to anyone here. In fact, with the type of group think going on here by ‘some’ of you I would suspect that many people would leave if not for their love of comics. Your stupid attitudes certainly aren’t the thing bringing them here in droves!

Go ahead now, get started, pick out parts of my comment to criticize and attack. I know that’s how you operate.  Have fun :headbang:

doh!

I never said I was treated poorly when I got here, because I wasn't. What I actually said is that a pathetic, oversensitive person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed could have been offended by some posts that didn't bother me.

I never said anyone had to wait months to post, just that I did. Actually, I didn't even sign up until I felt the need to start posting.

You completely missed the point.

You are the problem. You are the only person who has actually attacked or insulted others in this thread. :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

doh!

I never said anyone had to wait months to post, just that I did. Actually, I didn't even sign up until I felt the need to start posting.

It's always best to read a lot before jumping in here I agree with you on that-can avoid some drama that way.

:tink:

On the subject of ribbing people and they just need to 'toughen up' to 'fit in'-and this is just my personal opinion-I have 2 very dear friends I used to work with.  I learned the hard way they do not like to be teased-at all.  It hurt their feelings.  Everyone is different, I would never have told them they need to toughen up to fit in around here.  I believe it is up to me to treat everyone as they want to be treated, not the way I want treat them.  Who knows what someone's background is they may have been mercilessly mocked by older sibling and are sensitive to that.  I also had a 'friend' who was constantly demeaning me and when I called him on it it was always "i was only joking".  He wasnt, but that was his go-to excuse.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, Iconic1s said:

I'm not an expert, hence the post here, but just looking at the spine alone leads me to believe that this is not a 9.8.

Wondering what everyone thinks.

To me, it looks like a softly graded 9.8.  But as others have pointed out, unless you have access to a genuinely high quality scan or can look at a slab in person, you won't know for certain.   

I'd pass on buying a book that might possibly be overgraded.  There are so many comics out there to own, and when I was actively building the collection I focused on high grade books that looked really nice for the assigned grade and price.

24 minutes ago, namisgr said:

To me, it looks like a softly graded 9.8.  But as others have pointed out, unless you have access to a genuinely high quality scan or can look at a slab in person, you won't know for certain.   

I'd pass on buying a book that might possibly be overgraded.  There are so many comics out there to own, and when I was actively building the collection I focused on high grade books that looked really nice for the assigned grade and price.

All about eye appeal.One of the first things I learned here-buy the book,not the label.Not that I buy a lot of slabs.

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Rude.  And off base, considering the comment you're ragging was directed at a new board member, and one whose focus appears to be the CGC numerical grade above and beyond the eye appeal of the comic in question.

Not trying to be rude but i really have no idea what you just said-can you reword?

I think it's a perfectly fine 9.8  tbf people need to understand that 9.8s arent mints or gem mints.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Not trying to be rude but i really have no idea what you just said-can you reword?

I think it's a perfectly fine 9.8  tbf people need to understand that 9.8s arent mints or gem mints.

Your opinion is well and good.  Others may have ones that differ, and the original poster may benefit from hearing a variety of them.