• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Comic Box" for Original Art
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of moving my art from portfolios to tupperware or boxes for easier transport and better protection. All my unframed pieces are in 12.5" x 18.5" mylars with 12.25" x 18.25" boards. Is there a good box or tupperware others have found for this endeavor? I haven't been able to find anything yet and thought I'd ask here.

I would try the Itoya boxes at Blick. I used them for my Eduardo Barreto oversize 13x19 New Teen Titans pages, I have about 60 pages.. They are slightly bigger than the 13x19 portfolios so I story them all in the box. Its really good for alot of pages

Itoya ProFolio Archive-All Storage Box

https://www.dickblick.com/products/itoya-profolio-archive-all-storage-box/

27 minutes ago, Varanis said:

I'm thinking of moving my art from portfolios to tupperware or boxes for easier transport and better protection. All my unframed pieces are in 12.5" x 18.5" mylars with 12.25" x 18.25" boards. Is there a good box or tupperware others have found for this endeavor? I haven't been able to find anything yet and thought I'd ask here.

I used to use Rubbermaid for my silver and Bronze Age comics transporting them around conventions.

Art could be tricky but I’m curious to hear about what you come up with.

I bought three sizes of mylars and board for all my art, because it was getting to hard to have so many sizes, and I didn't like how things slide around and bend at the binding on the itoya portfolios.  

I use these kind of boxes to put the mylars in:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5914/barchivalb-clamshell-style-storage-box-for-13-x-19-imagesbr-13-12-x-19-12-x-1-34brblack-archival-barrier-board

When there were wildfire warnings all over about a month ago, I had these boxes ready to go in case I had to evacuate quickly.  

It was kind of eyeopening on what I would have had to leave behind  I would have left most of my comics and a lot of my framed art.

22 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I would try the Itoya boxes at Blick. I used them for my Eduardo Barreto oversize 13x19 New Teen Titans pages, I have about 60 pages.. They are slightly bigger than the 13x19 portfolios so I story them all in the box. Its really good for alot of pages

Itoya ProFolio Archive-All Storage Box

https://www.dickblick.com/products/itoya-profolio-archive-all-storage-box/

21 hours ago, Peter L said:

I bought three sizes of mylars and board for all my art, because it was getting to hard to have so many sizes, and I didn't like how things slide around and bend at the binding on the itoya portfolios.  

I use these kind of boxes to put the mylars in:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5914/barchivalb-clamshell-style-storage-box-for-13-x-19-imagesbr-13-12-x-19-12-x-1-34brblack-archival-barrier-board

When there were wildfire warnings all over about a month ago, I had these boxes ready to go in case I had to evacuate quickly.  

It was kind of eyeopening on what I would have had to leave behind  I would have left most of my comics and a lot of my framed art.

It seems like these boxes wouldn't be able to hold very many bagged and boarded pieces as they boxes are relatively thin. Is that not the case? Brian, I'm assuming your 60 pages were not bagged and boarded, correct?

I'm envisioning essentially a 14" wide, 20" tall, 20"+ long tupperware or other container so I can store the bagged and boarded art vertically and flip through it when I want to look at it. Is there any harm in storing vertically? I think my plan is to go to Wal-Mart and shop around for something of that size.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Anyone know of a ready made top loader or the equivalent that can hold a double cover? Something to protect and display casually without a frame.

I bet you can find something at Bags Unlimited - https://www.bagsunlimited.com/xsearch

That's where I got the bags and boards to store these. If I wasn't eventually going to frame them, I could definitely figure out a way to turn this into a display. Maybe get archival corners to attach to the board to better hold the piece. The Mylars should offer decent protection as well.

Full Set.jpg

11 minutes ago, Varanis said:

It seems like these boxes wouldn't be able to hold very many bagged and boarded pieces as they boxes are relatively thin. Is that not the case? Brian, I'm assuming your 60 pages were not bagged and boarded, correct?

I'm envisioning essentially a 14" wide, 20" tall, 20"+ long tupperware or other container so I can store the bagged and boarded art vertically and flip through it when I want to look at it. Is there any harm in storing vertically? I think my plan is to go to Wal-Mart and shop around for something of that size.

I never board my artwork and not had an issue with bristol art getting damaged in just mylars. I think the 20" tall tubs are overkill and way too much making it very heavy. I prefer the 2" ones where you can separate them by artist, character or series. Though for most of my comic art is in portfolios which I prefer. Just the twice up DC stock from the 80s which BArreto used on New Teen Titans is when I us the comic art box since they wont fit in the standard 13x19 Itoyas.

5 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I never board my artwork and not had an issue with bristol art getting damaged in just mylars. I think the 20" tall tubs are overkill and way too much making it very heavy. I prefer the 2" ones where you can separate them by artist, character or series. Though for most of my comic art is in portfolios which I prefer. Just the twice up DC stock from the 80s which BArreto used on New Teen Titans is when I us the comic art box since they wont fit in the standard 13x19 Itoyas.

Makes sense. The Zaffinos I posted are what really got me bagging and boarding everything. They're a really odd size and on thinner stock than traditional bristol board. The 12.5"x18.5" products fit them well and work great for regular 11"x17" pieces too, which lets me buy one product that fits everything. I felt like the boards were necessary for the Zaffinos. For the others, the boards just help to assuage the paranoia.