• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Oh. I'm sorry you guys don't know who David Gilmour is. My mistake. He's a guy who many many miilions of people all over the world have paid to see him play guitar and sing for the past 53 years. The guitar player for a little group called The Pink Floyd. 

I'll try to be more precise in what I meant. I think its true that Action Comics for example has appreciated about 15 times in value over the past say 25 years. Not an exact science but that's about in the ballpark.

And I think its safe to say that it most likely won't appreciate near that amount in the coming 25 years. I don't believe I gave it a 2 to 3 million dollar cap. 

Another thing I simply meant, again I'll be more precise, is that when you get in to the big money comics that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars and even over a million a lot of prospective buyers are not bidding on them with the intention of keeping it forever or putting it on a wall for someone to steal. They are making an investment to make money. That is what drives the bidding up. To make a profit thats worth investing and basically freezing that amount of money for a time, probably many years, they gotta hope to sell it for a lot more than what they paid considering commision fees and taxes. And I think its safe to say that an Action Comics #1 for example that sold for over 2 million dollars probably isn't going to sell for much more than that for a long time. When you get to books of that price the main driving force of bidders is to make a profit and if the profit isn't going to be a lot the bidding just won't be there.

How much do you think it would sell for in 25 years? None of us know really. I would say about double but I don't have ESP so I could be wrong. 

As far music memorabilia what I meant by future is a growing interest in it. And a growing interest usually equals a growing value. The Gilmour Strat was just a freak thing I would say. Two or more billioniares on a bidding frenzy. But in a way it is rarer than Action #1. He toured with it for years since 1970, recorded a bunch of albums with it,  and it was the only one. A Kurt Cobain guitar just sold for 6 million dollars. Are they good investments I don't know but I think it surely shows that there is increasing interest in that sort of stuff.  Lots of music fans out there. Ok take care.

Your observations are thought provoking, and I enjoyed reading them. I’m glad you took the time to share. And although I love David Gilmour and Pink Floyd, and although I think Dark Side of the Moon is a forever classic, I agree with others who feel his name recognition pales in comparison to Batman and Superman. But maybe the music fans have deeper pockets than the comics fans. It’s a “who knows”. 

Oh. I'm sorry you guys don't know who David Gilmour is. My mistake. He's a guy who many many miilions of people all over the world have paid to see him play guitar and sing for the past 53 years. The guitar player for a little group called The Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd. Sure. David Gilmour. Nope. Sorry.

But hey, that's just me. I don't tend to memorize band member names.

I absolutely love the Eagles. But would most likely fail at naming more than 1 if asked.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time will tell you there are always the  guys who say " its maxed out"" it can't get any higher" "the world is coming to an end and nobody will ever pay that much" blah blah blah ........................................................ then the book sells. When dealing with mega keys it's very simple basic supply and demand ( in some cases like AF 15 is not even about supply, just demand over the last 10 yrs.) Nothing more nothing less. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

49 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

But hey, that's just me.

No no it's not just you. Its a lot of people. I didn't really want to start a comparison between collecting music memorabilia and comics, and I'm not at all. But look at my point here. Sure Superman is more well known than David Gilmour. On the other hand there are a lot more people into music than comics. Superheroes to be more precise. Also keep in mind the majority of comic collectors are in the US I believe. Superman is from the USA too(I know I know he's actually from Krypton) , but he's mainly part of the "American" culture. Pink Floyd is listened to by people all over the world probably more than Superman is read or watched.  To a lot of people he's just a cartoon drawing and Gilmour is a Rock God. Then again a lot of people think Superman is an awesome cultural icon and Gilmour is just some guitar player. Gilmour can't leap tall buildings in a single bound and Superman can't play the solo to Comfortably Numb like he does here at 4:40 in with his 4 million dollar guitar. 

But I don't think it matters much when it comes to this high value stuff. There are enough collectors of both to make and keep the value of the rare and cool stuff ever rising in value. I think that's fair to say.

Edited by Professor Chaos

25 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

Anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time will tell you there are always the  guys who say " its maxed out"" it can't get any higher" "the world is coming to an end and nobody will ever pay that much" blah blah blah ........................................................ then the book sells. When dealing with mega keys it's very simple basic supply and demand ( in some cases like AF 15 is not even about supple, just demand over the last 10 yrs.) Nothing more nothing less. 

I never said anything was maxed out. Nothing of the sort. And I certainly didn't say blah blah blah.........I did say it probably won't appreciate in value in the next 20 years as it has in the past 20, percentage wise. I don't think it will sell for 20 or 30 million dollars 20 years from now., probably not even close. That's my perception of it. Sure prices/values/demand of these rare items is usually always rising but the Big Boom that began about 10-15 years ago probably won't happen again anytime soon. Also I did predict this current 27 will go over a million for whatever thats worth.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

But hey, that's just me. I don't tend to memorize band member names.

I absolutely love the Eagles. But would most likely fail at naming more than 1 if asked.

But if you are a Pink Floyd super fan, you know Syd Barrett, roger waters, nick mason, Richard Wright and of course the before mentioned David Gilmour. What’s wrong with you man? Lol

No no it's not just you. Its a lot of people. I didn't really want to start a comparison between collecting music memorabilia and comics, and I'm not at all. But look at my point here. Sure Superman is more well known than David Gilmour. On the other hand there are a lot more people into music than comics. Superheroes to be more precise. Also keep in mind the majority of comic collectors are in the US I believe. Superman is from the USA too(I know I know he's actually from Krypton) , but he's mainly part of the "American" culture. Pink Floyd is listened to by people all over the world probably more than Superman is read or watched.  To a lot of people he's just a cartoon drawing and Gilmour is a Rock God. Then again a lot of people think Superman is an awesome cultural icon and Gilmour is just some guitar player. Gilmour can't leap tall buildings in a single bound and Superman can't play the solo to Comfortably Numb like he does here at 4:40 in with his 4 million dollar guitar. 

But I don't think it matters much when it comes to this high value stuff. There are enough collectors of both to make and keep the value of the rare and cool stuff ever rising in value. I think that's fair to say.

No flying pigs in the show, but my goodness David gilmour has still got it

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

36 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

But if you are a Pink Floyd super fan, you know Syd Barrett, roger waters, nick mason, Richard Wright and of course the before mentioned David Gilmour. What’s wrong with you man? Lol

What makes this post even more ironic is it’s coming from the only man among us in actual possession of a Tec 27. And as much as I love Pink Floyd, if I had the guitar, I’d trade it for 4 Tec 27s

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

8 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Oh. I'm sorry you guys don't know who David Gilmour is.

I said I knew the name but beyond that I bought all the albums and saw them in concert for the Animals tour.  I even reviewed them as a teenaged rock reporter.  But as much as I love the band I know its cultural impact is the barest fraction of that of Superman, and that a guitar selling for 4 million should be taken as a sign that something is valued out of whack by a small number of people bidding irrationally, not that it's only begun to show its value and is certain to rise to skies.

Edited by bluechip

11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I said I knew the name but beyond that I bought all the albums and saw them in concert for the Animals tour.  I even reviewed them as a teenaged rock reporter.  But as much as I love the band I know its cultural impact is the barest fraction of that of Superman, and that a guitar selling for 4 million should be taken as a sign that something is valued out of whack by a small number of people bidding irrationally, not that it's only begun to show its value and is certain to rise to skies.

I agree with that. That's what I said, a few billionaires in a bidding frenzy over that particular piece. I explained myself as best I could that when I said "the future is" I meant a growing interest in that sort of stuff.  And I was actually comparing it to sports cards in my original post if anything. So it wasn't meant to be a comparison to comics at all but just an observation that collecting music memorabilia in general is growing in popularity.  

10 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

"I don't think it will sell for 20 or 30 million dollars 20 years from now., probably not even close?

As I said 15 or 20 years ago ( almost word for word) your opinion ( I should not have said exact) about any comic ever selling for one million dollars was made by some collectors which is your opinion and that's cool. But when I see a 1980s TMNT #1 books hitting 100k it's not hard for me to think 20 million for say the Mile High comic # 1 Action or Tec #27 in 20 yrs is not a very real possibility imho. I guess we will have to wait 20 or 30 year to see. For the record ( I never said you said blah blah blah it was a general statement).  

Edited by I am not Glenda

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

As I said 15 or 20 years ago ( almost word for word) your exact statement about any comic ever selling for one million dollars was made by some collectors which is your opinion and that's cool. But when I see a 1980s TMNT #1 books hitting 100k it's not hard for me to think 20 million for say the Mile High comic # 1 Action or Tec #27 in 20 yrs is not a very real possibility imho. I guess we will have to wait 20 or 30 year to see. For the record ( I never said you said blah blah blah it was a general statement).  

Oh jeez. Boy I'm really up against the ropes here again. On the defensive again. I'm comin to join ya Elizabeth!  My exact statement? I didn't say anything close to a comic ever selling for one million dollars. In fact in this thread I have predicted this TEc 27 will end at over a million dollars and its not even the top example. You are responding to me about something I never said at all. I don't disagree that maybe the Top example or few examples of the few major keys might sell for 20 million or more in 20 or so years, that's if they ever are for sale. Anyway if you read what I wrote I was very clear I believe. Will these few rare gems always rise in value? Sure. I just think at this point in history it will be a long slow gradual increase over many years. Take care PS I know you didn't say I said "Blah Blah Blah", I was just trying to lighten up the mood. 

P.S.S I have an idea for a book which can later be turned into a Big Budget Star Filled Hollywood Blockbuster.A Mutli-Billionaire eccentric like a John Paul Getty or Howard Hughes type finds out he's dying. So he buys up all the best examples of Action 1, Tec 27, and the others big G.A keys. Pays the current owners ridiculous prices that they couldn't refuse and he gets them all Then before he dies he hides them in real obscure places all over the world and tells no one where they are. But he leaves behind clues for the worlds greatest Scavenger Hunt ever. Real difficult, nearly impossible clues. The whole world goes crazy trying to find them. Chaos will ensue. Dangerous clues too. People will die. Kind of like Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World , Willie Wonka, or Cannonball Run but with comics. Pretty neat right?

blah blah blah

If one of Gilmours 50 stratocasters goes for 4 million then I dare not put a prize on this tec 27. Its poised to go high. Its the perfect showcase piece for a Hollywood / entertainment / pop culture hot shot. If just two clowns decide they need it. Then guide is out the window - as the old timers phrase it. Well see ...

6 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

If one of Gilmours 50 stratocasters goes for 4 million then I dare not put a prize on this tec 27. Its poised to go high. Its the perfect showcase piece for a Hollywood / entertainment / pop culture hot shot. If just two clowns decide they need it. Then guide is out the window - as the old timers phrase it. Well see ...

It’s my philosophy that no one who posts in this open forum is wrong, but this is just all kinds of wrong. You don’t get to be a millionaire by being a clown. And saying “throw out the guide on this one” makes me an old timer!!?? You whippersnapper:preach:

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It’s my philosophy that no one who posts in this open forum is wrong, but this is just all kinds of wrong. You don’t get to be a millionaire by being a clown. And saying “throw out the guide on this one” makes me an old timer!!?? You whippersnapper:preach:

The ‘clown’ word was not used derogatory but rather as “mild love”.

But, but: no, I do not automatically consider all rich people clever, just because they are rich.

and regarding the GIOTW bon mot, - I use it myself. Im 52. Oldtimer? For Sure.

i aint no spring rabbit no more. 

Edited by Mr bla bla