• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

once the hype levels off

I'm about to wrap up my PC acquisitions (before I lose my wife's encouragement!), and I wanted to make sure I had at least one major villain in my Bat stuff.  I know about the upcoming movie, but I was not aware of any hype regarding Tec 140.  Could you point me to stuff here or online discussing that?  I think it's fascinating that Riddler is being reimagined in such an edgy way.  Just by reminding folks of this cool character, could the movie mean an additional and permanent bump up, in which case I ought to find one quick?   The cenus pop is so low.  

Edited by Pantodude

20 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Good evening.  Hopefully someone can help me figure this out.  Since Tec 27 and Bat 1 (and thus 1st Joker and 1st Catwoman) are out of reach for me, I woulld like to get another cool Batman villain 1st app.  I boiled it down to a Tec 58 (Penguin) or Tec 140 (Riddler) in blue 4.0-5.0 range.  Between the Tec 58 and 140, only the Tec 140 sold recently in that range, so I'll start with that. 

GPA notes most recent sale of a 4.5 Tec 140 as $12,999 on 5/25/21 (on eBay), and I know of the $12,500 sale for another 4.5 on ComicLink that same day.  But for a Tec 140 in 4.5, GoCollect estimates $8750, noting Aug 2018 as the most recent sale.  If GoCollect's estimate is ignoring the two 5/25/21 sales, presumably it's not reliable?  In SA threads, folks complain that GoCollect estimates for SA books have been way off (i.e., too low) since the pandemic started.  Thankfully we have those two recent 4.5 Tec 140 sales for about $13K, but do you think that is too low or too high for a Tec 140 today (assuming both books were solid for the grade)?   The Batman movie will feature the Riddler prominently, but I don't know how that affects GA books like this one.  

How would you value a blue 4.5 Tec 140 (assuming it is solid for the grade and at least OW pages with clean/bright cover)?  

Heritage's Promise Collection has a 9.6 in auction right now.  With 10 days to go its at $162k.  I know this isn't the book you are looking for, but thought you would find it of interest

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Heritage's Promise Collection has a 9.6 in auction right now.  With 10 days to go its at $162k.  I know this isn't the book you are looking for, but thought you would find it of interest

OMG.  Of interest to me?  That would be an understatement!  Gorgeous.  I swear, if I didn't think my wife would barge in on me at any moment, I would cry.  I'll be tracking that one!     

Edited by Pantodude

36 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I'm about to wrap up my PC acquisitions (before I lose my wife's encouragement!), and I wanted to make sure I had at least one major villain in my Bat stuff.  I know about the upcoming movie, but I was not aware of any hype regarding Tec 140.  Could you point me to stuff here or online discussing that?  I think it's fascinating that Riddler is being reimagined in such an edgy way.  Just by reminding folks of this cool character, could the movie mean an additional and permanent bump up, in which case I ought to find one quick?   The cenus pop is so low.  

True, the pop census is low and who knows when the next copy would show up for sale.  Who knows maybe after the Promise Tec 140 sells for a record price, we might see more copies up for sale shortly thereafter.  

It's practically a given that when an upcoming movie/tv show comes out in the near future, that these character's 1st appearance books will be gobbled up and prices will skyrocket in value.  Look at prices now for JIM 85 as an example.  It only takes a few clicks of a button on the internet to find out what issues are the first appearances/origin and other related keys.