• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

With all due respect I think your way off on how popular the TMNT franchise is both domestically and worldwide. This link below will surprise you and then consider TMNT started as a comic meaning to my knowledge ( ( I am not the familiar with Japanese comics) It is the Marvel Universe, Spiderman, Batman, Peanuts, Avengers & then TMNT List of highest-grossing media franchises THAT STARTED AS COMIC BOOKS so I am not sure if Peanuts should be there as I think they started as a Newspaper Strip. List of highest-grossing media franchises. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises ( I also think this thread might not be the best place for a TMNT debate lol)

I believe most people under the age of say 20 right now will have fonder memories of the Turtles when they are older than in any superhero. Also Spongebob. They grew up with them everyday of their lives.  I don;t think the amount of money a hollywood rip off production (thats what I call modern day movies) took in has much at all to do with it. 90K for the TMNT 1 may be a lot right now (I think the next one will probably go for about 20K less)  but with 28 9.8's out there and a run of a little over 3,000 its an anomaly. Future filthy rich SOB's are going to all want one.

PS the TMNT 2012 cartoon series was actually pretty good. Now back to our show.

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling agian

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Are you saying the reason its at the price its at is because of corona or "corona related"? If so ok but maybe it could be just that its the highest graded 27 to come around in 10 years and there are only a few graded higher in existence. If I were Mr Hariri, or a Rockefeller, or a Bezos, or a Clinton or Bush I'd bid 2 million on it . 2.1 million. Actually 2.2 million just to be safe and that still might not be enough. Better make it 3 million. Thats like 2 grand for the average person to them. Good chance none of us will ever see a higher graded one for auction. 

I think the corona plague haunting our world is heightening peoples inclination to acquire something unique and awesome. Something that resembles a supreme, creative manifestation, showing that life is great and contains fantastic stuff. And I just cant think of a modern pop culture artefact that does this better than this Covid Tec.grail.

And any investor/collector could easily prepare to wait a decade or more before a 7.0+ grade becomes available - Should they miss out on this POS.

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

I think the corona plague haunting our world is heightening peoples inclination to acquire something unique and awesome. Something that resembles a supreme, creative manifestation, showing that life is great and contains fantastic stuff. And I just cant think of a modern pop culture artefact that does this better than this Covid Tec.grail.

And any investor/collector could easily prepare to wait a decade or more before a 7.0+ grade becomes available - Should they miss out on this POS.

And pay more  and or not be in the position to do so financially

Also do not forget with scarcity if no one wants to sell well even all the money in the world wont do the trick. Paging DDS Dave Anderson lol

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Whoa, Secret of the Ooze shaped my childhood! In the sense I was of course scared of snapping turtles and orange haired man beasts 😂

No doubt,  any kid from the 80s grew up loving TMNT. My brother and I watched the cartoons religiously and memorized every word to the movies. 

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

No doubt,  any kid from the 80s grew up loving TMNT. My brother and I watched the cartoons religiously and memorized every word to the movies. 

36 years in the public eye is admirable. Do they still print  the comics ? ( never a fan FYI - to me fake super heroes 😛

19 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

36 years in the public eye is admirable. Do they still print  the comics ? ( never a fan FYI - to me fake super heroes 😛

No idea - as a kid, I never even knew they were comics. 

I agree they weren't super heros. I've always thought of them in the same vain as Cerebus and later the Tick. They are kind of parodies of super heros who's ridiculousness makes fun of how seriously super heros took themselves. 

I say this as a person who's never owned a Cerebus or TMNT comic book.  I did buy lots of Tick comic books though 

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Just gonna do a quick Tec 27 update. It is still at 1.1 mil with 7 days left. I wholeheartedly believe the bidding is not over yet.

I so badly want it to blow away the MC 1 highest cgc graded copy that recently sold on heritage. If it doesn’t move I was the Price  is  Right winner at 1,050,000. 😛

Edited by Chicago Boy

15 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I so badly want it to blow away the MC 1 highest cgc graded copy that recently sold on heritage. If it doesn’t move I was the Price  is  Right winner at 1,050,000. 😛

Yeah any more bids and I take the prize for correct bid estimate 😁. So I’m hoping for atleast one more. I don’t know if it will blow away the MC1, but I won’t be surprised if it tops it, ever so barely.

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah any more bids and I take the prize for correct bid estimate 😁. So I’m hoping for atleast one more. I don’t know if it will blow away the MC1, but I won’t be surprised if it tops it, ever so barely.

Yeah. Poor choice of words on my part. Top it not blow it away. Although that would be nice too 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Yeah. Poor choice of words on my part. Top it not blow it away. Although that would be nice too 

I mean if it were to “blow away” the MC1, what final hammer price would you consider that happening? Like 1.5 mil, or more than that?

9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean if it were to “blow away” the MC1, what final hammer price would you consider that happening? Like 1.5 mil, or more than that?

This is unknown territory for me but 1.5 would be “ blown away “ imo   Even besting the highest graded MC 1 at a CGC 9.4 by $1 would add to the notion about how far the Big 2 really are above all else and DC ‘s stronghold over Marvel in the biggest books 

Edited by Chicago Boy

5 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Ok just wondering what you were thinking when calling it a covid tec. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I don't agree with any of that but I'll just chalk it up as a corona related disagreement. And POS? does that mean fe-cal matter? Don't answer don't answer. 

7 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

If I were Mr Hariri, or a Rockefeller, or a Bezos, or a Clinton or Bush I'd bid 2 million on it . 2.1 million. Actually 2.2 million just to be safe and that still might not be enough. Better make it 3 million. Thats like 2 grand for the average person to them. Good chance none of us will ever see a higher graded one for auction. 

Hariri already has one, and there's the rub - if everyone on the board was a bezos, we'd all bid x number of millions, but we're not and he doesn't collect, etc. etc.

There are 5 higher graded copies, I think a fair chance we see one come for auction. When Metro sold the 8.0 Action #1, everyone said the same, but boom - out came the 8.5, then the 9.0, then another 9.0

Edited by Crowzilla
clarify Action #1 and # copies

11 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Hariri already has one, and there's the rub - if everyone on the board was a bezos, we'd all bid x number of millions, but we're not and he doesn't collect, etc. etc.

There are 7 higher graded copies, I think a fair chance we see one come for auction. When Metro sold the 8.0, everyone said the same, but boom - out came the 8.5, then the 9.0, then another 9.0

What grade of a Tec 27 does Hariri?

When I was a kid, my sister and her fellow tweens would get all worked up over which teen idol would win Tiger Beat's teen heart throb poll and other similar teen magazine contests.  They'd get so worked up over whether their favorite would win and would actively campaign to get people to mail in votes. 

I asked her once if she, or her favorite, would get some kind of prize if he won, and she said "No."  Then I asked what would happen to her, or to her favorite, if he lost.  Would someone get to punch him in the face?  Would Tiger Beat stop putting him on their covers for a year?  Would she and her friends be forced to pick a new idol as their favorite?  She looked at me as if I was nuts and said of course nothing bad would happen.  So then I asked her, "So what's the big deal?"  She just screamed that I should shut up and get out of her room.

I don't know why these old memories have suddenly resurfaced.

20 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What sale are you referring to in terms of a TMNT 1 selling for $100K?  ???

Hi, I personally know of a 95k private sale of a stunning WP 9.8 over the summer and if I recall there was a 90K sale at Heritage about a year or so ago. So when I say 100k I was off a few grand :) Still blows me away.

Well, all I can say is that I certainly hope the buyer of the $95K private sale did not base his purchase price upon the $90K Heritage public auction sales result.  hm

Especially when the HA $90K purchaser ended up reselling the exact same copy several months later for only $59K in an non-auction resale:  :tonofbricks:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

tee2.602_1.jpg

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Pretty sure this comiclink sale came not too long AFTER the HA one

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D4903&id=1404932

There have been quite a few CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 sales after that HA $90K outlier of a sale and all of them fell somewhere in the $50K to $60K range of thereabouts.  (thumbsu

On 11/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 11/4/2020 at 9:57 AM, Mr bla bla said:

The incredible scarcity of available inventory in the tec 27 market considered, the art is getting in while the buying pool is fairly limited. Once that pool broadens, the pricetag changes.

In the 1930ies you could buy Picasso OA in Paris for 2000$. Today? 600 M for the center  pieces😂

Take that to the bank.

Fine art is insane! Sells for sooo much.

Why, dear sir...........would you be referring to art pieces like this one here which was actually lifted from the pages of an actual comic book:

roy lichtenstein masterpiece sold $165 million

Just a change to the words in the caption and yet this so-called Masterpiece by Roy Lichtensteing was able to fetch $165M big ones.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :flipbait:  :takeit: