• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover - 92-93'

1 post in this topic

Hello. First off I hope this comment is in the right category.

I am inquiring about a piece of Marvel memorabilia I received at a multi day comic convention in 1992 or 1993.

The piece of memorabilia is a test cover that only 10 were produced. The cover later on was used as the main cover for the Avengers 363 comic book. The successful test covers ushered in a wave of foil embossed covers in the 1990's. At the convention in Houston TX, they were giving out prizes every hour on the hour for the few days the convention was opperating. This was the grand prize and my Mother had won. She had regular taken me and my little brother to comic conventions in the 90's. She knew I was a hard core collector at 12 so she let me take care of it. So, to me its basically priceless. 

At the time I was 12. I had bombarded the men running the convention with about a 1,001 questions about this test cover when my Mom went to accept the grand prize. I was told the following.

1. Only 10 are in existence

2. The success of the test covers ushered in the wave of foil embossed comics during the 90's

3. The price tag at the time was about $14,000

4. A few years ago I saw one on Ebay for a price tag near 13K

5. One of the men told me not to sell it or trade it for anything... talk about a Willy Wonka moment....

This was without a doubt the most precious thing I have ever obtained and right along with my Hulk 181 it was my most prized possession. And for a middle-class kid I thought I did pretty damn well.

Well, as most of you know who had collected rare comic items in the early 90's and before. There is no COAs!!!

So.. Here is my long winded question. Is there a way to find out the value and to obtain a COA? I would like to have this graded by CGC at some point.

Thanks in advanced to my fellow comic collectors!

Lee

A363+Test.jpg

test-cover.jpg