• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale
2 2

91 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

When will you ever see a very early Jack Kirby splash get passed over for a mere $39,000 dip your toe reserve?

1)When Don Heck ruins whatever Kirby had underneath 

When the “lettering” for The Mighty Thor-Lava Man resembles a third graders 1st subway car tagging “assignment.”

Missed out? Listed for sale at a cool $40,000.

C1446404-6543-452D-8AA7-FE60871BA945.thumb.jpeg.460f43f49e3a1573de2a71232c14ccb3.jpeg

You’re spot on.   I wanted to like it.    I wanted to find a reason to trip reserve.  But every time I looked at it I liked it a little less.       

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

That used to be about right years ago, but not anymore. Also when you consider this one just sold the day before 

Screenshot_20191211-080441~2.png

Yup. It was probably the "Actual JSC T&A" and "Topless Disney Character" factors that drove the $12k hammer :facepalm:

That Spidey & MJ cover is one of his better recent ones IMO.

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Here is a rambling And honest post written on my phone early in the morning. Speaking honestly, if I had walked away with the McFarlane and the Quitely for 15k I would have been happy. For the McFarlane I was top bidder throughout but capped out at 13k, which I already thought was expensive, but not unreasonable. 19k is crazy, but makes me happy vis-à-vis my existing page, which I had always kept as reserve your one day bend @AnkurJ to my will in a trade 😜. 19k for Peter in civvies, although you do get a ”that’s what she said” joke in blue line that’s pretty funny. It’s a good page and everyone looks great, but 19k is a bit much. There are some pages in which, possibly because of the printing, MJ looks pretty beat.

The Quitely I thought was excellent. EXCELLENT. Practically a recreation of the cover, beautiful detail throughout, lots of Superman. I can’t wait to see it in person. How often do these even come up? Even rarer than McSpidey I’d wager. Certainly not cheap, but definitely at par with a Good Mignola Jungle Adventure page. The right cover from All Star Superman (impossible to abbreviate into initials...) would be a grail for me, but I’ll definitely take this page as a hold-over. After I lost the McFarlane I upped my bid and put the phone away. 

66F7E61D-21D8-46A0-9EE6-02A791078E8E.jpeg

F00A9E92-B8D8-4BFF-B5EB-EA1B3C26EFDC.jpeg

FEEDA827-69FE-4C73-8481-9945C0248C76.jpeg

8C23513F-F366-4F32-B6B8-F71ABD6FFF0A.jpeg

Agreed! I’m not a fan of how McFarlane drew MJ most of the time. The page at auction was ok, but not worth 19.5k to me.

Edited by AnkurJ

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

I personally loved the page but if this was purely investment a tad risky?

I had it about $9-$10 K so definitely surprised.

Pages from ASM 300 have always commanded a premium and they were among my earliest purchases when I became interested in collecting OA back in 2001.  At one time, I had 4 pages from ASM 300, and then I made a terrible mistake...CAF came along, and I posted scans of the pages and before you knew it, I was fielding unsolicited offers. 

Ultimately, the offers became too ridiculous to pass up and I relented to two collectors who were trying to put the book together (not sure if each was unaware of the other at the time), but its very feasible that one or both went after this page (or a new player).  Both have deep pockets and I think this page could have gone even higher if they were determined to make it theirs.

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Such a nuanced page to figure out price-wise... no Moonie in full costume (though so close), and yet a key moment in a key issue.

I was very fond of this issue. This page is an important moment in MK history.
when it was around $6600 I was out of the running. Congratulations to the new owner.

33 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I was very fond of this issue. This page is an important moment in MK history.
when it was around $6600 I was out of the running. Congratulations to the new owner.

It's a nice page, but, how "important" is it really... (Narrator: not very) 

Also, it may be from Moon Knight #1, but, it's not like the character hadn't been around for a full 5 years anyway.  In the grand scheme of things, it's a cool page from a very minor book, IMO.  I'll add it to my mental list of art that's likely never to resell for a higher price after adjusting for inflation.* :) 

* Which is fine if you're buying out of love and long-term enjoyment, but, not so great if you're buying for speculation or investment. 

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Agreed! I’m not a fan of how McFarlane drew MJ most of the time. The page at auction was ok, but not worth 19.5k to me.

+1

Not only was I not a fan of how McFarlane drew MJ most of the time, but, I loathed the writing during this time. Hard luck Peter is now married to a bombshell supermodel (MJ), doing a book tour, and fighting a brain-eating alien symbiote (Venom = dumbest villain ever).  Suddenly, the guy everyone can relate to became a guy that no one could relate to, going totally against the essence of the Spidey mythos.  

I think a lot of the art is cool, but, all of the stories from this era are utterly forgettable to me. Someone opined the other day in another thread that the "real" ASM ended at issue #300, which pretty much mirrors my opinion.  In fact, to me, everything after #297 is a big "What If?"/"Elsewords"/"Ultimate" alternate universe, don't @ me, late '80s/'90s drek lovers. :sumo: 

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

* ...but, not so great if you're buying for speculation or investment. 

Or if your someday future wife has a "white dude wearing white hood 'n costume" phobia. Now a fetish for same...that might be worth putting a ring on that finger ;) 

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

This is the rare time I'm 100% agreeing with a McFarlane Spidey result. Could have been 25k and I wouldn't have been surprised either.

It’s a memorable page.   Rare suggestive scene from 80s Marvel.   I guess I’m not surprised it was worth that to someone but it’s worth 1/3 to 1/2 of that to me.   We all like different pieces I suppose.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I guess I’m not surprised it was worth that to someone but it’s worth 1/3 to 1/2 of that to me

Yeah I didn't even bother to bid because I knew it would get run up, but if I saw it on somebody's fixed price site: $7500 = I buy, $9k = ez pass.

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

+1

Not only was I not a fan of how McFarlane drew MJ most of the time, but, I loathed the writing during this time. Hard luck Peter is now married to a bombshell supermodel (MJ), doing a book tour, and fighting a brain-eating alien symbiote (Venom = dumbest villain ever).  Suddenly, the guy everyone can relate to became a guy that no one could relate to, going totally against the essence of the Spidey mythos.  

I think a lot of the art is cool, but, all of the stories from this era are utterly forgettable to me. Someone opined the other day in another thread that the "real" ASM ended at issue #300, which pretty much mirrors my opinion.  In fact, to me, everything after #297 is a big "What If?"/"Elsewords"/"Ultimate" alternate universe, don't @ me, late '80s/'90s drek lovers. :sumo: 

You could basically say the same thing about post  Ditko spidey.    He stopped being hard luck spidey a long time ago.

i think your message is that all pre 83 and post 1984 books should get off your lawn?  :insane: 

Edited by Bronty

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It's a nice page, but, how "important" is it really... (Narrator: not very) 

Also, it may be from Moon Knight #1, but, it's not like the character hadn't been around for a full 5 years anyway.  In the grand scheme of things, it's a cool page from a very minor book, IMO.  I'll add it to my mental list of art that's likely never to resell for a higher price after adjusting for inflation.* :) 

* Which is fine if you're buying out of love and long-term enjoyment, but, not so great if you're buying for speculation or investment. 

Admittedly Moon Knight is not a household name in collectors eyes. He’s no Sal Buscema.

Wait did I just compare a comic character to a Top 5 artist? :facepalm: uhhh...OK maybe MK is no Don Perlin. Or maybe better to say he’s in there with Deathlok. Cool but not a superstar.

I just loved MK 1 and remember my brother and I bought it off the comic shelf in Tampa Florida during a road trip. I knew zero about art but we loved the way those early issues were drawn and the stories.

My gut on the page is it has potential for a higher ceiling but agree whole heartedly with you about adjusting for inflation.

I would have paid up to 5 K for the page because I’m a fan of that issue.  That doggone influencer known as Nostalgia rears it’s ugly head.

We are in agreement my friend.

Edited by grapeape

Just now, grapeape said:

Admittedly Moon Knight is not a household name in collectors eyes. He’s no Sal Buscema.

Wait did I just compare a comic character to a Top 5 artist? :facepalm: uhhh...OK maybe MK is no Don Perlin. Or maybe better to say he’s in there with Deathlok. Cool but not a superstar.

I just loved MK 1 and remember my brother and I bought it off the comic shelf in Tampa Florida during a road trip. I knew zero about art but we loved the way those early issues were drawn and the stories.

My gut on the page is it has potential for a higher ceiling but agree whole heartedly with you about adjusting for inflation.

I would have paid up to 5 K for the page because I’m a fan of that issue.  That known as Nostalgia tears it’s ugly head.

It’s an exceptionally adequate page!

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

I would have paid up to 5 K for the page because I’m a fan of that issue.  That known as Nostalgia tears it’s ugly head.

It was either 2000 or 2001 that Mitch offered me MK #1 cover for $5k. My how times have change ;)

15 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I would have paid up to 5 K for the page because I’m a fan of that issue.  That doggone influencer known as Nostalgia rears it’s ugly head.

Yep!  I wouldn't be surprised if nostalgia wasn't a big factor for the at least two bidders who took it higher than you did.  But, let's face it - if you put this page up for auction 20 years from now, whoever buys it is unlikely to have grown up with the book, and it will be competing for $$$ with whatever those buyers are nostalgic for at the time.  Even among the OA collectors in 2039, this isn't going to be a page from a memorable book that they bought off the rack on a roadtrip as a kid nearly six decades ago (!!!), it's going to be a not-quite-in-costume Moon Knight page from just one of probably a gazillion different series reboots by then (if the character hasn't faded into obscurity!) with very nice, but potentially really dated-looking, art by future contemporary standards. :fear: 

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Already this in 2019.

For sure, but, at least there are still a ton of people in this hobby - a majority even - who grew up during this period and still love this style more than the "Image style" from the '90s and more contemporary looks we've seen in the 2000s and 2010s.  In 20 years, though, people who grew up with this style will have become a minority in the hobby (not that many won't still find it attractive, of course).